Sponsored by:

Supercharging my V-10

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 07:57 PM
FatBoyzCustomz
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Supercharging my V-10

Ok so ive never super charged or tubro charged a motor, but ive always been told that the motor needs to be rebuilt to handle the higher compression. Recently my friend told me that turbos are rough on motors but the super chargers are not hard on the motor. My v-10 has 140k miles on it and has no motor noises or issues. Would i need to rebuild my motor prior to installing a super charger? Also what brand do yall recommend and what sort of gains should i expect? Its a 2003 Excursion v-10(6.8) 4x4 with 4.30 Limitied slip. Cold air intake, Aftermarket Y pipe, Flowmaster 44 series, and SCT tuned by 5 star tunes. I run 93 octane regardless. Its on 35's stock wheels stock height and is usually used for daily driving and mudriding. Im also not concerned with gas mileage (its an excursion lol)

Old 05-21-2014, 09:47 PM
Restlesswildman
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Banks Power | Up the Power Ante on the Triton V-10

1998-2001 V10 Truck and SUV Supercharger System | Paxton Superchargers

Here is a spoon feed for you!

I would recommend doing a compression check on your engine along with a leak done test to determine the health of your engine. Do you burn oil between oil changes? How is the fuel system on the truck? Is it still in good health? Have you put spark plug thread inserts in the heads yet? The V-10 has a history of tossing plugs and coil packs.

I have sold and installed the Paxton systems years ago and they are pretty easy on the engine as long as you do not go STUPID on the boost.

Hope this helps somewhat.

Old 05-21-2014, 09:53 PM
FatBoyzCustomz
Senior User
I have not put spark plug threads in yet dd not know there was an issue with throwing plugs. I have replaced the plugs about 3000 miles ago. I dont burn any oil between changes and as far as i know i dont have any leaks. I will have to do a compression test on it though to check compression. Fuel system is doing good as far as i know no bogging or sputtering or anything of the sort.

Old 05-21-2014, 11:15 PM
FatBoyzCustomz
Senior User
This is what i found glancing around summit. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/pax-1001911/overview/ I spoke with the customer service and he said as long as there are no underlying problems i should be fine putting it on my truck they also told me the estimated gains for that motor is 425 hp and 425 ft/lb torque. that would set my excursion at around 785hp and 900 ft lb or torque? starting at a 310/425 plus the tune,CAI,and modded y pipe. That would be some nice power. They do want nearly 5k though ouch.

Old 05-22-2014, 12:05 AM
Krazee Matt
Logistics Pro
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Um,... I'd bet my rig that those figures he gave you are expected output after installation, NOT what you're going to gain. Short of a massive amount of nitrous there isn't a single power adder that's going to give you that kind of power. On top of that, I wouldn't expect your motor to be putting out the 310/425 power figures either. Drivetrain, parasitic losses, and just age and mileage on the motor, figure roughly a 15-20% loss of the original power rating ($100 says it was from the crank, not to the wheels) and you'll be surprised at what actually moves your rig down the road. For the most part, intakes and exhausts usually overcome the losses from the OEM systems that are designed to get the job done and meet emission standards and whatnot. In recent years the OEM's have come a LONG way in stock designs, but back when our trucks were rolling off the line? Not so much.

Not trying to rain on your parade bud I promise, but having some reasonable expectations certainly helps in building a motor.

Old 05-22-2014, 12:08 AM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
There are 2 types of blowers. Positive Displacement and Centrifugal.

Positive Displacement Superchargers are like an On/OFF switch. They make design boost essentially at idel. So it's full boost or no boost. very little modulation. So they are in fact MUCH HARDER on a motor. That is due to the shock loading of 0psi to about 6psi (mild boost) instantly.

Turbochargers ramp up the boost. They start at 0 psi (roughly) at idle and based on motor RPM, the boost levels build. At some point the Blow Off Valve (BOV) will open and limit pressure. These are much easier on the motor since there is no shock loading of boost.

The centrifugal blowers operate much (read exactly) like a turbo...but they are belt driven vice the exhaust. They are good systems, but rely on higher RPM to make the max boost.

given my preference, I would rather have a Positive Displacement. Personal preference since I rarely break 2,500 rpm and like the boost down low in the RPM range. A turbo/centri blower are good choices, but they need higher RPM

Old 05-22-2014, 12:16 AM
FatBoyzCustomz
Senior User
yea the ex doesnt seem to get to much into the high rpm's for me either lol. The one summit has is a centrifgul one. Is that one hard on the motor as well?

Old 05-22-2014, 01:22 AM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Centri units are fairly easy on the motor. Again, they act just like a turbo. Low/No boost at idle, and the boost builds as the motor RPM goes up.

Since the boost gradually rises, there is no shock loading on the motor. Much easier on components.

They also make ridiculous power at higher RPM's. I've given serious thought to getting one. As I mentioned before, I'd rather have a Posi style...but extra power is extra power.

Also, Centri units are much easier to install. They basically just bolt to the front of the engine and you're done (simplification...but true).

Old 05-22-2014, 02:53 AM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by Restlesswildman
Have you put spark plug thread inserts in the heads yet? The V-10 has a history of tossing plugs and coil packs.
Not just the V10's. It was a problem with the modular engines across the board. The 4.6L the 5.4L and the 6.8L engines were all affected by the 4 thread spark plug holes in the cylinder heads.

And while it's not a bad idea to do some preventive measures and install threaded aluminum inserts, it's not necessary if an owner properly installs the spark plugs on a cold engine, with the proper torque, and checks them a couple times a year.

Originally Posted by FatBoyzCustomz
I have not put spark plug threads in yet dd not know there was an issue with throwing plugs.
It's a well known weak link that you probably shouldn't have to worry about. The reason why is because you have an '03 rig (according to your sig) and Ford, starting with the '03 model year vehicles, increased the threads in the spark plug holes.

On a side note, supercharging or turbo charging a modular engine doesn't cause the spark plug launching problem.

Stewart

Last edited by Stewart_H; 05-22-2014 at 02:56 AM.
Old 05-22-2014, 06:30 AM
1 Excursion camper
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It was actuall very early 02 or late 01 when Ford went to the PI heads (performance improved) with more threads in the heads! Other than that, providing the motor is healthy, the V-10 an handle the moderate boost.

Old 05-22-2014, 09:54 AM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

modular motors can handle 6psi of boost all day long. they could care less.

things get more interesting at 8psi. you can start to expect blowby and other serious issues for heavily rodded motors

at 10psi, you are pushing it. A daredevil attitude is required

>10psi and it's a foregone conclusion for the motor is grenade somehow.

I personally would run a 6 psi pulley with a 8lbs BOV. Good tuning and 91/93 octane would make wicked HP/TQ gains. I haven't seen the dyno charts for a V-10, but I know the 4.6/5.4 on average make +100 HP/TQ with 4-6 psi of boost...and that is with OEM style tunes. If you dial up the tunes a notch and that same motor with 6 psi will make +150 RWHP/TQ.

it's all about having a good setup with gauges and making sure your A/F is spot on. this thread has me missing my 2006 F-150 that I had put the RoushCharger on. That was a fun truck

Old 05-22-2014, 10:16 AM
FatBoyzCustomz
Senior User
i think i might give it a try and run it at 6psi an extra 150 hp would be nice does anyone know how this effects gas mileage? i dont really care if it drops the mileage any but if it raises it i could somehow work that in when i tell the wife what i bought =)

Old 05-22-2014, 12:39 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by Tylus
modular motors can handle 6psi of boost all day long. they could care less.

things get more interesting at 8psi. you can start to expect blowby and other serious issues for heavily rodded motors

at 10psi, you are pushing it. A daredevil attitude is required

>10psi and it's a foregone conclusion for the motor is grenade somehow.
You're saying this is true for the naturally aspirated modular engines, yes? Because a lot of Lightning owners are producing more boost than that with their stock engines.

8psi is stock for the Gen 2 L and adding a 4lb or 6lb lower is a very common mod.

Originally Posted by 1 Excursion camper
It was actuall very early 02 or late 01 when Ford went to the PI heads (performance improved) with more threads in the heads!
I guess it's possible they upgraded the heads that early, but I know for sure they were phased in for the '03 model year Lightning engines because only a few of the early, first '03 Lightnings off the line (according to those who posted about this problem on the L boards) had the old 4 thread heads.

Stewart

Old 05-22-2014, 06:08 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Originally Posted by Stewart_H
You're saying this is true for the naturally aspirated modular engines, yes? Because a lot of Lightning owners are producing more boost than that with their stock engines.
exactly. the 4.6 and 5.4 love the boost...but they're not forged and meant for boost.

The L and the Termi and GT500 were meant for boost. I've seen guys run 20 psi on a stock Termi block with almost no problems.

Old 05-22-2014, 10:01 PM
garryk6
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I own a 2000 excursion with a Whipple Supercharged V10. It is very drive able, and for an 8000+lb beast it makes for a very snappy ride. I too have the 4.30 gears, but also have 35" tires. When I have my winter studded tires on it (235x85x16) it will just roast the tires, so I have to be carefully i do not roast the studs out of the tires... I would venture to say I am running between 400 to 450 hp. Whipple stopped making them after the 2000 model year, so you have to build your own if you want Whipple. Occasionally the parts come up on ebay. But not a whole kit. Kenne Bell also made a kit, but to my knowledge they have not made any in a while either. The centrifugal do not help off the line much, not like the positive displacement ones. So I would recommend headers and exhaust before adding a supercharger. Most if the v10 owners here do the headers and exhaust and then a "5-Star" tune to wake up the Ex. My ex also has Banks Headers, and Banks stainless exhaust and a K&N air filter, as a paper filter will not feed a supercharger....

Good Luck!

Garry

Quick Reply: Supercharging my V-10