Australia Chapter Join Chapter , Leader: ChunderDownUnder

Firestone R4-Tech

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 05:26 AM
ChunderDownUnder
Cargo Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Firestone R4-Tech

So you gota do ya lift then buy the R4 to suit your height ?????

Old 04-14-2011, 06:00 AM
SSSimon
Posting Guru
Yes, check this out:

YouTube - R4Techsuspension's Channel

but I haven't found any comments from our US brothers on the kit yet...

There is a thread on the 6.7 forum but it appears that our US bro's think $2200 buck is too much for a suspension upgrade - they say some nasty stuff about the stock rear springs on the 2011 model
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...uspension.html

Old 04-14-2011, 06:30 AM
SSSimon
Posting Guru
Alternative to the R4tech package here:
Dealer_E-Mail_Ad_120409

http://www.airbagit.com/product-p/towing-f350.htm

One thing though, after having adjustable rear suspension in my previous vehicle, a Mercedes. It was more like the R4tech system in that it used soft springs with pumped lift assist. Once the lift assist failed, but the soft spring had enough lift for me to make the long drive home. When I pulled the system apart I found a leaking union, so it was a no-cost repair to get it going again. If you get a pressure leak on the airbagit system you'll be on the bump stops all the way home - that'd be BAD!

Old 04-15-2011, 04:59 AM
SSSimon
Posting Guru
Looks like you can get 25% off if you buy 3 airbagit systems in one hit!

Anyone else interested in the airbagit systems?

See:TOWING KITS KNOWLEDGE BASE

There are systems offered for just rear, just front, all all four wheels....

Old 04-15-2011, 05:16 AM
Nkelly
Farkall User

Originally Posted by ChunderDownUnder
So you gota do ya lift then buy the R4 to suit your height ?????
No they got kits for 4" 6" or 8" lift bruvva

Old 04-15-2011, 05:37 AM
Nkelly
Farkall User

Originally Posted by SSSimon
Alternative to the R4tech package here:
Dealer_E-Mail_Ad_120409

4LK REAR SINGLE WHEEL 3.5" AXLE 1999-2007 FORD PICKUP ONLY F250/F350/EXCURSION 100% Bolt-On Frame 4Link Note: Exhaust may have to be re-routed on some trucks

One thing though, after having adjustable rear suspension in my previous vehicle, a Mercedes. It was more like the R4tech system in that it used soft springs with pumped lift assist. Once the lift assist failed, but the soft spring had enough lift for me to make the long drive home. When I pulled the system apart I found a leaking union, so it was a no-cost repair to get it going again. If you get a pressure leak on the airbagit system you'll be on the bump stops all the way home - that'd be BAD!
This is the kit im keen on,4" lift
1999-2004 F&R FORD F250/F350/EXCURSION 4WD SINGLE REAR WHEEL 3.5" Axle 4" lift, 8" travel, Front and Rear Suspension, Complete with Plug & Play

But as you say simon,the thought of relying on air connections/fittings or a compressor failing worries me a little,i hate too be crawling over BIG RED and have a BIG fail on my full air suspension.

Hence why im leaning towards R4tech and maybe dropping some leaves out of the front and add cupla airbags too assist the softer front springs.

With buying the R4tech means i dont have too worry about buying or making my own traction bars too avoid axle wrap when i drop some leaves out of the rear springs ....

Another thought im running through my mind was a system involving coil springs front and rear,i just need too work out control arms same as airbagit are using..

Cuz something like this is too expensive for just the front and we still have too soften up the rear.
6 inch Dirt Logic Coilover Conversion Lift Kit with Dirt Logic Coilovers & Shocks-RH1

Old 04-16-2011, 07:28 AM
SSSimon
Posting Guru
Bryan, while the Dirt Logic front suspension system looks good it's 6!

I think the R4Tech on the rear, and leaf reduction with air bag on the front would be the best compromise. You should be able to get all tricked up for about $3k.

My only reservations:
1) is the spring rates of the air bags - less air = low down = soft. more air = higher lift = hard. So what if I want my truck to be chuckable on corners - I'd want it low and firm - can that be done with the air system - maybe via the adjustable Rancho dampers?
2) for big sweeper corners, does the pressure on the outside air bag move air to the inside airbag thereby increasing body roll? I see the bags have air lines that hit a tee junction then head to the cab gauge. Is there anything in the system to stop one airbag being compressed with the excess air going into the opposite bag?

I'd love to get a plush ride, but I'd be disappointed if I lost anything handling wise on the corners! I drive down Clyde Mountain to the coast a fair bit. I reckon a 10% handling improvement is BETTER than a 10% power improvement on that road!

Old 04-17-2011, 05:28 AM
Nkelly
Farkall User

Bryan, while the Dirt Logic front suspension system looks good it's 6!
I know,i was using that one as an example.

R4Tech on the rear, and leaf reduction with air bag on the front would be the best compromise. You should be able to get all tricked up for about $3k.
Yer i was looking into that aswell,and if the finance manager bucks up i'll just go this way
airbags airsprings
and these for the lift
Tapered Air Bag Spacers - 4" Air bag spacers - tapered (pair)
And control it with this
switches controllers gauges remote
Lift me truck extra 2" front and rear with these's
2" Front/Front Hanger&F/R Spring Relocatekit. Weldon or bolton, hardware not included
Might go with these shocks
http://www.rancho.com.au/F250.html
My only reservations:
1) is the spring rates of the air bags - less air = low down = soft. more air = higher lift = hard. So what if I want my truck to be chuckable on corners - I'd want it low and firm - can that be done with the air system - maybe via the adjustable Rancho dampers?
Yes the more air you put in the higher you will go and the harder the bags will be,thats why im getting adjustable shocks,did you know you can control your adjustable shocks from inside the cab ...
2) for big sweeper corners, does the pressure on the outside air bag move air to the inside airbag thereby increasing body roll? I see the bags have air lines that hit a tee junction then head to the cab gauge. Is there anything in the system to stop one airbag being compressed with the excess air going into the opposite bag?
That airbag control i showed u the link too controls each airbag on its own,thats why im after that one.
I'd love to get a plush ride, but I'd be disappointed if I lost anything handling wise on the corners! I drive down Clyde Mountain to the coast a fair bit. I reckon a 10% handling improvement is BETTER than a 10% power improvement on that road!
I reckon with the right shocks we should a good handling ride

Old 04-23-2011, 07:19 AM
SSSimon
Posting Guru
Where's the 'dial-a-ride-from-inside-the-cab' adjustable shocks?

I don't want to shake my fillings out on the long flat bits before the windy stuff !

The rancho RS9000XL would have you drive the flats on the soft setting, then leap out of the vehicle and adjust the shocks before the windy bit, and so on.

Need a remote shock adjuster mounted near the airbag controls!

Old 04-27-2011, 02:39 PM
Nkelly
Farkall User

Spoke too rancho in australia and they dont sell the shocker controller because it was unreliable,can get it from the states but i think it is the same one from rancho. Rancho Part RS999705 - My Ride wireless controller-RH1 i'll send em a email see what they say..

I'll make something to go between the console and the dash too mount the airbag control and the shocker control..

Old 04-28-2011, 01:55 AM
ChunderDownUnder
Cargo Master

So have ya decided on what setup u r gunna go for. If so how much lift, cost. Just wanna see how much $^%$ ya gunna get in with Lyn

Old 04-28-2011, 03:41 AM
Nkelly
Farkall User

Originally Posted by ChunderDownUnder
So have ya decided on what setup u r gunna go for. If so how much lift, cost. Just wanna see how much $^%$ ya gunna get in with Lyn
hahahahha laugh it up sunshine...

4" lift max,sort of going 4" lift tow kit this one
1992-1998 REAR FORD F250/F350 with Single Rear Wheel 3.5" axle. Fits 2wd &4wd 100% Bolt-On 4Link Note: Exhaust may have to be re-routed on some trucks

Then drop a leaf or 2 in the front and add couple of these
airbags airsprings

But before that im buying a FARKEN winch,got bogged too the diffs on the weekend up at the murray,had too walk 4 mile to go get a couple of drunks too tow me out then got stuck drinking **** with em,mad *******,they liked us so much we been invited too 50th on the 25th june back at moama LOL..

Old 04-29-2011, 04:44 AM
SSSimon
Posting Guru
Bryan, other than being a link to a 92-98 rear end, and you having an 05 truck, I can see some issues with the fully bagged at 25psi rear end.
1) notice on the photo they have a sway bar fitted to the back - there goes your 4WD axle articulation - unless you also make the sway bar linkages detachable for off road use.
2) when you are off road, the soft suspension is likely to give you a pitchy ride with the soft back and going up and down and throwing front in the opposite direction - esp if you haven't got adjustable dampers
3) when you are on road and cornering hard(ish) with ride height set lower you'll be relying on the swaybars to keep the body roll down as the 'spring' rate on the soft low bag will be SFA.

I'm sure you'll end up with a comfy truck for the freeway, but I'd be afraid of making it an absolute (bigger) bus on anything windy in the road dept.

Tell ya what. I think we all need to throw a few bucks in the pot and send someone over there to do some research, test drive a few air bagged and R4Tech fitted vehicles, round a track, over a 4WD course, bit of free way work, and get the definite answer on what system is going to be right for Australian conditions.
Anyone planning a US vacation now the aussie $ is at a 30year high?

Old 04-29-2011, 06:42 AM
Nkelly
Farkall User

I think you have been watching too many airbag buses and coaches...
The link i gave was for the picture not about the year,i couldnt be farked finding the excact one.

Just had a look at that bar your talking about if its the one just rear of the airbag conected to the chassis,thats the panhard bar connects to a plate that goes between the diff cover and the diff housing,cuz now we on airbags not springs we need something too stop the axle from farking off..
Watch this vid from 1.00 min too 1.50
YouTube - GM 2001-2010 2500,3500 HD 4-Link & Air Suspension Install

I dont think it'll be like driving a car with **** springs and no shocks,there's a vid on youtube showing handling with airbag suspension around cones and a race track,i remember when driving intersate me mates mack on airbag was rougher then mine with hendrickson spring **** end which gives me the opposite concern too yours.

Old 04-29-2011, 07:02 AM
SSSimon
Posting Guru
Bryan, you've nearly convinced my. In a way I like the airbagit system as it's neater looking and you have the ability to adjust the height. I'd love to see the race track drivability vids.

I was looking at the sway bar which was located in front of the rear axle in the pick. It looked like they'd pinched a front swaybar, turned it around and fitted it to the rear axle.
If you unbolt one end of any fitted swaybars before going 4WDing you get tons more axle articulation - you might have even saved yourself that 4 M walk!

I just just see it now though, disconnected sway bars forgotten, and pulling my fully loaded rig with 25 psi in the bags into the first corner after coming back onto the tarmac and scaring myself 2hitless when the bus heeled towards a capsize!

Quick Reply: Firestone R4-Tech