Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Torque Converter/ Shift Kit Ideas?

Old 05-19-2014, 04:14 PM
Brody Olson
Freshman User
Brody Olson is starting off with a positive reputation.
Torque Converter/ Shift Kit Ideas?

Hauling a bobcat today and my tranny started to slip shifting from 3rd to overdrive. Would quick rev up about 300 rpm's then shift. Guessing it will only get worse. Doesn't slip in the 80 horse tune. Guess I need to start looking for a torque converter and shift kit. Any ideas? Kinda new to the diesel world. Like to keep it under 1500 for the whole thing, the less the better as long as it's good stuff. Like for it to be able to handle 500-600 Horsepower.

Old 05-19-2014, 04:26 PM
Pikachu
Post Fiend
Pikachu has much to be proud ofPikachu has much to be proud ofPikachu has much to be proud ofPikachu has much to be proud ofPikachu has much to be proud ofPikachu has much to be proud ofPikachu has much to be proud ofPikachu has much to be proud ofPikachu has much to be proud of
It kind of sounds like the TC could be locking up in third, unlocking for the 3-4 shift and locking again after.

Old 05-19-2014, 04:29 PM
Brody Olson
Freshman User
BTW truck is a 2000 F-350 w/ 7.3. auto tranny.

Old 05-19-2014, 04:30 PM
Brody Olson
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Pikachu View Post
It kind of sounds like the TC could be locking up in third, unlocking for the 3-4 shift and locking again after.
So what does that mean I should do?

Old 05-19-2014, 04:35 PM
Pikachu
Post Fiend
Pikachu has much to be proud ofPikachu has much to be proud ofPikachu has much to be proud ofPikachu has much to be proud ofPikachu has much to be proud ofPikachu has much to be proud ofPikachu has much to be proud ofPikachu has much to be proud ofPikachu has much to be proud of
It may be part of the shift strategy in the tune you were running. Have you towed in that particular tune before and not had that happen? What about in a stock tune?

Old 05-19-2014, 04:39 PM
Brody Olson
Freshman User
It may be part of the shift strategy in the tune you were running. Have you towed in that particular tune before and not had that happen? What about in a stock tune?
Towed the same skid steer a few days before that in that tune and it didn't slip. Never slipped without a load and it does now. Not sure about stock. Didn't slip in my 65hp tow tune.

Old 05-19-2014, 04:46 PM
Pikachu
Post Fiend
The fact that it does it in one tune and not another makes me think it's the tune. I'm not a transmission guy by any stretch of the imagination, but there are a few guys here that really know transmissions. I'm sure one of them will see this and respond before too long.

Old 05-19-2014, 07:11 PM
Brody Olson
Freshman User
The fact that it does it in one tune and not another makes me think it's the tune. I'm not a transmission guy by any stretch of the imagination, but there are a few guys here that really know transmissions. I'm sure one of them will see this and respond before too long.
Sounds good. I think the tunes make a difference just because of the power level, slips in 140 but not in 80 or 65, would just assume the more power the more stress being put on it.

Old 05-19-2014, 08:23 PM
Scerb
Senior User
Scerb is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Scerb is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
You'll need a lot more than a TC and shift kit to reliably handle 500-600hp.

I recommend John Wood's TC and valve body. But they may not stop your trans from slipping in a 140 tune while towing.

Old 05-19-2014, 11:58 PM
Brody Olson
Freshman User
So here's the big plan for now. Thinking about a Diamond T TQ. Supposed to be good for 650 hp and 1100 tq, 3 year warranty and under $500. My mechanic buddy(whos helping me put it in for nothing) reccomended I get a transgo tugger shift kit which is only a little over $100. He's also forcing me to get a rebuild kit. Any ideas on good rebuild kits?

Still not really to sure what the deal is with the tranny. Took it out tonight after it was cooled down and it didn't skip a beat even in the 140hp tune and I tested it to the floor and just casual driving. Any ideas?