Sponsored by:

2000 Ex Weekend Warrior build

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 02:59 PM
Lance Helmert
Laughing Gas
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
2000 Ex Weekend Warrior build

I've read a bunch of threads on the broken exhaust studs and decided to get the Banks system. I haven't run across any problems with them in the old threads. Are you happy with your headers and exhaust now that it's been on a while? I'm just wondering if anyone is having problems, or if your all happy with the system. Thanks for your help.

Old 05-20-2014, 08:09 PM
Lance Helmert
Laughing Gas
Anybody? Love your Banks headers or hate them? Couldn't find anything bad about them. Saw some problems with other brands and a guy that replaced studs was going to have to do it again. They're already ordered so I hope they are a quality product.
Does the stud removal require a case of beer or a quart of Jack Daniels?

Old 05-20-2014, 08:37 PM
Bently_Coop
Lead Driver
Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
Check these over both have lots of detail and are well put together.

WE3Zs Banks Header install thread.

Sammie0126 Banks install thread for dummies.

Old 05-20-2014, 09:13 PM
fatherdano
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sorry, no input on the Banks...

I just fixed the broken studs and kept the original setup.

but then again I have 6 kids and didn't want the added expense.

It drives like brand new though.

Old 05-20-2014, 09:15 PM
wallz
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Have had my banks kit in just about a year now and no problems.

Running like a top. Just fill up and go.

Old 05-21-2014, 05:47 AM
sammie0126
Postmaster
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Lance Helmert
Anybody? Love your Banks headers or hate them? Couldn't find anything bad about them. Saw some problems with other brands and a guy that replaced studs was going to have to do it again. They're already ordered so I hope they are a quality product.
Does the stud removal require a case of beer or a quart of Jack Daniels?
Depends on how many you have broken, break during the process, how good your welding skills are....for me there was plenty of alcohol needed to numb the pain and bloody knuckles over a couple weeks of work. Not everyone has the same struggles I did in getting the studs out though.

Old 05-21-2014, 06:16 AM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 816 Likes on 566 Posts
Still lovin my Banks headers after more than a year! Installation is a little bit of a pain due to access and tight spaces and fat hands,
I only had two broken studs and they both came out relatively easy.
There may have been a lager or two consumed during the install.

Old 05-21-2014, 09:37 PM
Lance Helmert
Laughing Gas
Thank you! Just wanted to hear people are still happy with them after a year. It's a lot of money. I read in one thread, that someone had replaced the studs and kept the stock manifolds, and the new studs were breaking. I was seriously considering doing that, but at that point, decided to order the Banks headers and exhaust. I hope I'll only have to do the job once that way. I think 5 are broke on the drivers side and 3 on the other. I hope the studs aren't to bad, I drive truck, so I'm limited on time. Gonna come home for a whole week when it arrives. The big daily driver needs some love when I get home too.

Old 05-21-2014, 09:51 PM
Lance Helmert
Laughing Gas
Depends on how many you have broken, break during the process, how good your welding skills are....for me there was plenty of alcohol needed to numb the pain and bloody knuckles over a couple weeks of work. Not everyone has the same struggles I did in getting the studs out though.

For welding nuts on the studs? Or does something else require welding?

Old 05-22-2014, 05:42 AM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 816 Likes on 566 Posts
Originally Posted by Lance Helmert

For welding nuts on the studs? Or does something else require welding?
Yes, welding nuts onto the broken studs is the only welding that should be needed for a header install. I got one of my two broken studs out by welding a nut to it, I couldn't get good enough penetration on the second broken deeper in the head stud with my 110 Volt MIG welder so that one needed to be drilled and easy-outed.

Old 05-22-2014, 02:14 PM
Lance Helmert
Laughing Gas
I read your thread last night. Thank you! I was going to try the Titan with an impact, or else weld nuts on, like you did. Think everything we ordered should show up next week. I plan on doing it the first week of June. My wife has been spraying penetrating oil on stuff for a couple weeks. I'll take some pictures.

Old 05-22-2014, 02:16 PM
neilc88
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Love my Banks. 2 years and no issues.

Old 06-03-2014, 08:35 AM
Lance Helmert
Laughing Gas
We started saturday night. Everything came apart easily. It sure is easier to get at with the inner fenders out. Sprayed all the studs with penetrating oil and quit for the night.

4 came out with the nut, 6 the nuts came off the stud, 4 were broken under the nut, and 6 were broken in the head. Welded nuts on the 10 sticking out of the head, 2 of them needed heat on the head to come out. The 6 broken in the heads we drilled with regular right hand bits till they screwed in a little ways,the cut the tapered part of a tap off, and used it to clean the threads in front of the stud. Then we used a left handed bit to back the stud out of the head. We had to go back and forth between left and right bits several times but 5 came out this way. The last one wouldn't budge, the bits were getting dull, and then the battery on the drill went dead. We were going to quit till morning and get new bits, but decided to try an easy-out.

Old 06-03-2014, 08:54 AM
Lance Helmert
Laughing Gas
That was Sunday and Monday. We also removed the rest of the exhaust system, and dragged it to my cousin's shop where we had a torch and welder. THANK YOU for all the helpful threads and pics, they are priceless. I should have listened to Christina I bought some cobalt and some titanium bits. I should have bought all cobalts

So today we're going to put in a block heater, new battery cables, and new power steering hoses. Then get started on putting the headers in. My tailpipe has the rear hanger on from the opposite side also, so we'll have to deal with that. I think it would rattle against the leaf spring the way it is. I look at that closer later.

Old 06-03-2014, 11:57 AM
Reverend Jim
Mountain Pass
Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts
9 months after the Banks install, still happy with them and no problems or regrets.

Quick Reply: 2000 Ex Weekend Warrior build