6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Why do you like your 6.0?

Old 06-28-2017, 08:43 AM
Ford.Dude
More Turbo
Received 43 Likes on 25 Posts
Why do you like your 6.0?

Just curious why folks like a truck that require so much attention. Yeah I've done what seems to me alot of work to this ride in the 5 or 6 months I've owned it. Been frustrated at times but I love to drive this truck. Ol' girl shows improvement every time I turn a wrench on her. F-series trucks IMO are by far the best looking truck and have been for generations.

Old 06-28-2017, 09:40 AM
Don Naslund
Laughing Gas
Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts
Mine has been pretty reliable so-far. Most of the work that I have done on mine really has been to prevent the problems that others have reported. Mine sits a lot (50k miles on a 2005) so I have to clean the turbo every 2 years and I had one ficm go out on me. Otherwise, it has been good to me.

Old 06-28-2017, 09:51 AM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
It doesn't take any more attention than any other vehicle I've owned/own, it just takes a mind set that a diesel engine is different than a gas engine and you can damage things much quicker if you abuse them. Key word is abuse, in normal use they're no worse than any other engine. But there's a persistent mindset of "it's a diesel" that somehow justifies stupidity like 20k miles OCIs, 100+HP tunes, dumping god knows what in the fuel tank, and in general anything else that would otherwise qualify as abuse of a gas engine which people feel is somehow reasonable due to the lack of spark plugs.

After 10 years and 113k miles, the only thing it's needed other than book maintenance is batteries, an alternator, fuel pressure regulator, and a couple of sensors. I've done more, but by choice. It's been mine since it was new though, so there's no history of people doing stupid things to it. You're working through a decade of other people's problems, it's not the truck's fault at all.

Old 06-28-2017, 10:48 AM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Had my 05 for 10 years and was totally happy with the engine. Not so much turbos. Worked the hell out of it on the camping trips but when at home the local trips were death on the turbos. Four in 10 years and even the dealer techs couldn't figure out why. Ford finally bought it back.

Old 06-28-2017, 11:27 AM
chick
Cross-Country
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Mine needed a FICM at 99,900 miles, so under warranty. At 120K rebuilt the Turbo. Finally full Monty at 170k, heads and studs, HPOP, Oil cooler, EGR cooler, water pump, etc. I worked the hell out of it, and admittedly lacked on maintenance, like fuel filter changes and coolent flush. Believe me, all services now will be ahead of schedule. After $11k invested, still cheaper than a new truck by about $60k, and I like my truck. Plan to keep it a long time. The 6oh is a strong motor, pulls like a tank, and sounds like a diesel should sound.

Old 06-28-2017, 11:49 AM
wedge542
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I like my 6.0 so my tools dont rust and wallet not so thick, i have a few trucks inc 7.3s and still get in the 6.0 every day, i work mine, it does what a trucks made for.

Old 06-28-2017, 01:34 PM
Ford.Dude
More Turbo
Originally Posted by texastech_diesel
It doesn't take any more attention than any other vehicle I've owned/own, it just takes a mind set that a diesel engine is different than a gas engine and you can damage things much quicker if you abuse them. Key word is abuse, in normal use they're no worse than any other engine. But there's a persistent mindset of "it's a diesel" that somehow justifies stupidity like 20k miles OCIs, 100+HP tunes, dumping god knows what in the fuel tank, and in general anything else that would otherwise qualify as abuse of a gas engine which people feel is somehow reasonable due to the lack of spark plugs.

After 10 years and 113k miles, the only thing it's needed other than book maintenance is batteries, an alternator, fuel pressure regulator, and a couple of sensors. I've done more, but by choice. It's been mine since it was new though, so there's no history of people doing stupid things to it. You're working through a decade of other people's problems, it's not the truck's fault at all.
​​​​​​​What I said in post #1 may have come out wrong. Your right, I am working through a decade of what people MAY have done wrong or didn't do at all. I bought an older truck and definitely expected to do work to it. Hell, I spent 4 grand on a 04 F150 after it was all said and done. That truck drove and ran like a dream even with a 4" lift and 33s. This F250.....love it even more. She'll be better than the old F150 hopefully.

Old 06-28-2017, 09:29 PM
87crewdually
Lead Driver
Received 89 Likes on 64 Posts
It's paid for. To replace it new would cost around $78,000 from what I've seen. It's holding up and is in great shape. It's paid for and do my own work on it so unless it's involved in a major head on wreck I'm hanging on to it for awhile. Did I mention it's paid for and a new one would be 78 grand.

Old 06-28-2017, 09:34 PM
akblackfoot
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 87crewdually
It's paid for......... Did I mention it's paid for and a new one would be 78 grand.
Yes, Yes!!! Lots of other reasons but I like these 2.....or 3.

Old 06-29-2017, 07:51 AM
navistarnut
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
It's one of, or is, the last PS that the average Joe with some mechanical aptitude can work on and for the most part not break the bank..........and yes......the 6.0 sound that makes even the other brands owners jealous.

Old 06-29-2017, 11:38 AM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
Received 408 Likes on 270 Posts
There are lots of things I like about my 6.0, but some of them are just because it is a Ford, who was one of the first to raise the GVWR on their 4x4 SRW F350s to the mid 11K lbs range -- makes reasonable size slide in campers + towing possible...

But I'll just offer one observation I made the other day that made me remember and smile: Driving empty on a mid 80s day up through the canyon near us, I was hammering on it some, and realized when I reached the top, I hadn't heard the fan. Why I smiled was: I traded in a POS 2005 3500 SRW 4x4 Durapuke, with the infamous LLY overheating motor (some did, some didn't, mine did), and on a mild day, same canyon, driving easy, the fan on it would be howling full tilt from midway up until well after I was on flat ground and hwy speeds.

And there are so many other things I appreciate about my 6.0 Ford over that previous truck, but to sum it up: even my Wife said when we first got it: "now this feels like a REAL truck!".

Scott

Old 06-29-2017, 04:02 PM
Ford.Dude
More Turbo
Originally Posted by 87crewdually
It's paid for. To replace it new would cost around $78,000 from what I've seen. It's holding up and is in great shape. It's paid for and do my own work on it so unless it's involved in a major head on wreck I'm hanging on to it for awhile. Did I mention it's paid for and a new one would be 78 grand.
​​​​​​​Good to know Crewdually will around the forums for a good while. As these trucks get older the forums will slow down I would imagine. I hope to keep this truck until it rust to the ground like a Yota so I'll probably scan these forums for years to come. This ride is fully capable to do anything I'll need it to do. Started with a ranger, to a sport trac (wonderful well rounded truck and ALL trucks should have cleats around the bed), then a F150 WITH the cleats, and now my personal favorite of all the 6.0.

Old 06-29-2017, 04:13 PM
Ford.Dude
More Turbo
Originally Posted by diesel_dan
There are lots of things I like about my 6.0, but some of them are just because it is a Ford

even my Wife said when we first got it: "now this feels like a REAL truck!".

Scott
​​​​​​​Because it's a Ford......same here and I blame my grandfather. He was proud of that new contour even. He would brag about how the engine would just drop out in a head on collision. He thought it was the coolest thing.

Old 06-29-2017, 05:47 PM
Rusty Axlerod
Lead Driver
Received 131 Likes on 78 Posts
I used to make jokes about people who drove giant pickup trucks for no apparent reason...until I bought one.

Coming from a sweet 1992 GMC 1500, 2wd, standard cab, short bed, step side, lowered a little with big fat tires and fresh black paint, 350 and auto trans, all I could think was WOW! We enjoy camping and the GMC was pulling 7k lbs. the 6.0 is pulling around 10k lbs and there is no comparison. The Ford is on its game when towing. Hook up, pull out the mirrors and go, nobody is waiting behind us pulling away from a stop light. I like a lot of things about the truck but easily the power is the biggest reason. The trans is pretty smart too. Unlike my plans when I bought it, I drive it often, even to work. Sold the GMC.

Another aspect is working on it. I have been working on cars (and gas trucks) since I was a kid and knew (well, hoped) this truck would be no different but I had little diesel experience. Almost in panic mode when I first got it home, I studied on it like I had a final exam tomorrow, which led to finding this forum. I've only had one issue that turned into a headache, other than that, working on it has been pretty straight foreword. And the great bunch of folks here always had my back if I got confused. It has been fun (mostly) learning and wrenching on it and I think that's a large part of 6.0 ownership for many of us.

And finally, the financial part of it. I bought the truck in my sig for several thousand below loan value and it's been paid of for a while. I'm sure the cost of replacing the engine wouldn't scare me off of it. The interior is showing some wear, but I've yet to even bump into anything with it (except for the tailgate) so it's still looking pretty good. I've driven a couple 6.7's, clearly more grunt than a 6.0 and they are awesome but I think my truck looks better. It seems like everything new has great looking interiors these days and I wish my '06 had a little more modern appearance inside but I can easily live with it.

So to sum up, power, ability to work on it, the 6.0 brotherhood, and financial reasons all combine to make me like my 6.0...a lot.

Old 06-29-2017, 09:37 PM
mhatlen
2006 Bullet-Riddled 6.0

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 69cj
Had my 05 for 10 years and was totally happy with the engine. Not so much turbos. Worked the hell out of it on the camping trips but when at home the local trips were death on the turbos. Four in 10 years and even the dealer techs couldn't figure out why. Ford finally bought it back.
Ford bought back your truck after 10 years ??

Really...........

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Why do you like your 6.0?