1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

2014 supernationals - opinion

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2014, 07:32 PM
jniolon
old and in the way
Received 726 Likes on 259 Posts
2014 supernationals - opinion

overall.. I was disappoined. It seemed like that attendance of both entered trucks and spectators was down this year. I'm sure the weather didn't help much with Thursday being a miserable day. And today with a couple of deluges seemed to put a damper on everyone's fun.

The number of magazine rides was down or at least it seemed to me to be.. I counted maybe 10 top that were page worthy and maybe two contenders for the big trophy... There were any number of 'projects' and the ratrods are picking up... which is ok.. I like them... but to replace nice 53-56s. Saw a lot more mid 60's it seemed and lots of them were really nice.

I was pleased with the indoor vendor area that had some old favorites as well as some new guys...one I liked was Wayne Lundys interiors... really nice work at reasonable prices. Sy and her group got most of my money this year.. My new windshield wiper kit should show up about the time I get home.. so there were some highs and lows... it's a decent show and some welcome changes from past years... but it ain't the old Supernats that I remember... maybe the weather, the economy, the general pall that is hanging over this country in general... I usually leave PF with a renewed attitude and energy... maybe next year will get me stoke...OR it could be I'm just a tired grumpy old fart !!!..I'm headed home a day early to get ready for the work week..

be safe ya'll... in your travels...

later
john

Old 05-16-2014, 10:49 PM
GMbusa
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My opinions exactly. Though this new venue has it's possibilities. The building is awesome but the guys collecting money are a bit funny and have no human courtesy. My dad and I roll up to the gate at 4:10pm Thursday, they close at 6pm. Nothing is really set up and most of the vendors are not there. Yet they still wanted $10 to get in... Really?

That was crap.

Old 05-17-2014, 08:13 PM
bjmayberry2
Lead Driver
Received 543 Likes on 349 Posts
I agree John
I've never been to the Super Nationals but it wasn't the show I had imagined it to be. I'm sure rain was part of it but I was hard pressed to get many ideas for my trucks. I was interested in flip steel front ends with a bumper but most were fiberglass. There were some really good guys that I visited with but I agree most of the trucks were not print worthy, not that any of mine are. The vendors were great and had plenty of catalogs as well as some pretty nice show deals. Swap meet had more doors and cabs than I've seen anywhere else.
Here's my pictures http://s1283.photobucket.com/user/bj...ationals%20214
Whether I'll make the trip from St Louis again, the jury is still out.

Old 05-18-2014, 06:07 AM
52'F-3
More Turbo

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I also was disappointed, maybe I was expecting more.

The weather didn't help at all, I had a hotel issue, but just didn't seem less organized than other shows I attend. Maybe because it was my first year, but I never did meet/see anyone that was part of the show.

I arrived with my trailer and was told I can't bring into show to unload, but they had no designated trailer area. I double parked and unloaded, went into register and got a goody bag full of Pigeon Forge flyers that looked like they came from my hotel lobby.

Saturday morning I checked out of hotel and parked truck/trailer in strip mall parking lot about a 1/2 mile walk from show that I seen many other truck/trailers parked. Not long after arriving I heard an announcement about trucks/trailers that needed to be moved or they were going to be towed (one was mine)

So about 9:00 am Saturday morning I drove out of show to my soon to be towed truck/trailer, loaded and drove away with a bad taste in my mouth.

Old 05-18-2014, 08:33 AM
tacson
Cargo Master

Received 88 Likes on 51 Posts
It is amazing. If you look at this picture
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k5...S/DSC_0019.jpg

Which is the former Grand Hotel it is symbolic of how things change. 20 years ago the weekend after Mothers Day you would have Ford Trucks all over this place on the hill behind the Grand Convention center how look at it.

Originally Posted by jniolon
overall.. I was disappoined. It seemed like that attendance of both entered trucks and spectators was down this year. I'm sure the weather didn't help much with Thursday being a miserable day. And today with a couple of deluges seemed to put a damper on everyone's fun.

The number of magazine rides was down or at least it seemed to me to be.. I counted maybe 10 top that were page worthy and maybe two contenders for the big trophy... There were any number of 'projects' and the ratrods are picking up... which is ok.. I like them... but to replace nice 53-56s. Saw a lot more mid 60's it seemed and lots of them were really nice.

John I agree. I didn't make the show last year as I stayed in Nashville to attend the Goodguys show like my F100 friends did this year. Weather normally hasn't deterred the die hards. It just seems the show has lost some of the fire it had in previous years. My only daily drver type trucks are on the rise. The high end builds did not seem in the quantity you normally see. The 60/70's models (60-72) are growing

I was pleased with the indoor vendor area that had some old favorites as well as some new guys...one I liked was Wayne Lundys interiors... really nice work at reasonable prices. Sy and her group got most of my money this year.. My new windshield wiper kit should show up about the time I get home.. so there were some highs and lows... it's a decent show and some welcome changes from past years... but it ain't the old Supernats that I remember... maybe the weather, the economy, the general pall that is hanging over this country in general... I usually leave PF with a renewed attitude and energy... maybe next year will get me stoke...OR it could be I'm just a tired grumpy old fart !!!..I'm headed home a day early to get ready for the work week..

I saw the Lundy's booth but never got back over. Can you pm me his contact info.

be safe ya'll... in your travels...

later
john
Originally Posted by GMbusa
My opinions exactly. Though this new venue has it's possibilities. The building is awesome but the guys collecting money are a bit funny and have no human courtesy. My dad and I roll up to the gate at 4:10pm Thursday, they close at 6pm. Nothing is really set up and most of the vendors are not there. Yet they still wanted $10 to get in... Really? It is definitely about the dollar. 2 hrs before closing!!! come on man.

That was crap.
Originally Posted by 52'F-3
I also was disappointed, maybe I was expecting more.

The weather didn't help at all, I had a hotel issue, but just didn't seem less organized than other shows I attend. Maybe because it was my first year, but I never did meet/see anyone that was part of the show.

I arrived with my trailer and was told I can't bring into show to unload, but they had no designated trailer area. I double parked and unloaded, went into register and got a goody bag full of Pigeon Forge flyers that looked like they came from my hotel lobby.

Saturday morning I checked out of hotel and parked truck/trailer in strip mall parking lot about a 1/2 mile walk from show that I seen many other truck/trailers parked. Not long after arriving I heard an announcement about trucks/trailers that needed to be moved or they were going to be towed (one was mine)

So about 9:00 am Saturday morning I drove out of show to my soon to be towed truck/trailer, loaded and drove away with a bad taste in my mouth.
I hate that you had that experience. I came as a spectator and was able to get a program and it appears that someone printed it in the dark because the printing was blurred and legible.

Old 05-18-2014, 08:47 AM
bjmayberry2
Lead Driver
Received 543 Likes on 349 Posts
Donald where'd you get the program? I paid the $10 Thursday & Friday (different guys) and didn't even get a Thank You! I'm not sure what you do if you wanted to go somewhere and chill and then return?

Old 05-18-2014, 09:54 AM
jniolon
old and in the way
Received 726 Likes on 259 Posts
I saw the Lundy's booth but never got back over. Can you pm me his contact info.

Donald..

was gonna pm it but thought some others might like it as well. I talked to Wayne for a few minutes and was very impressed with his work on display... uses 'ultra leather' which is imitation lether... he's a one man shop bout 50 miles north of Atlanta in Lula, Ga. He quoted me 'around' 750-850 for a truck interior.. sedans run over a grand.... but still affordable compared to leather.. Seemed very personable and really came to the show on a recommendation from a friend... he should get lots of work... and by the way he said if I wanted it next year.... get on the list now. Takes 4-5 weeks for a truck, 6-7 for a full sized car... he doesn't have a website but has some pics on facebook under "Wayne Lundy Interiors"

https://www.facebook.com/wayne.interiors?fref=ts

most of his samples are in browns and beiges I going with a gray hopefully matching my already nice seats... still a ways off though...

He is

Wayne Lundy Interiors
Lula, Ga
706-763-7185

no commercial indorsement here... just passing along the info...

later
John

Old 05-18-2014, 02:17 PM
tacson
Cargo Master

John,

good to know. I'd be interested in getting door and kick panels done. I figure seat, headliner, and carpet can come later. I will look him up on facebook.

Old 05-18-2014, 07:10 PM
tacson
Cargo Master

Originally Posted by bjmayberry2
Donald where'd you get the program? I paid the $10 Thursday & Friday (different guys) and didn't even get a Thank You! I'm not sure what you do if you wanted to go somewhere and chill and then return?
Saturday about mid day I walked up to the registration counter there in the Leconte Center and asked if I could have one.

Old 05-18-2014, 07:29 PM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I've gone to the show the last 4 years and it seems to have gone down hill each year since. This was probably my last one.

Old 05-18-2014, 07:58 PM
tacson
Cargo Master

Originally Posted by harleymsn
I've gone to the show the last 4 years and it seems to have gone down hill each year since. This was probably my last one.
Joe I agree with you. The show has lost a lot of its draw. When I first started going in the mid 90's you had tech sessions by vendors and when I saw the poor quality of the program's printing I knew. All of my F100 buddies here in Middle TN stayed here and went to the Goodguys show and saved fuel and lodging cost. I think I will be rejoining them next year... I hope to try the True Blue Show in the fall if I can get the time off work...

Old 05-18-2014, 08:24 PM
theGman
Posting Guru
^^^dittos. The show has lost it's energy and, more importantly to me, the homey feeling, as in no tech sessions, etc. FYI, incase any of you have been before to PF, but not this year, the show has moved up across the river to a giant slab of asphalt with a really neat convention center at the end of the area.

While technically not far from the Grand as the crow flies, the spot is not convenient walking distance from anything. The Grand Hotel is being torn down at this time, so it seems that this is the best one can hope for; the days of the Grand, and taking a break and walking around to check out stores or the many trucks parked everywhere are gone. It is better than Knoxville though.

The $10 a day with no provision for buying a show pass is a turnoff. The highlight was the new huge convention center, with lots of vendor space and a lot of places to just sit and/or eat. They have a trolley operating to take you back and forth from one end (convention center) to the other (parking).

Old 05-18-2014, 10:03 PM
skinnyman
Junior User
Great pic..this was me and my truck ..thanks!

I agree John
I've never been to the Super Nationals but it wasn't the show I had imagined it to be. I'm sure rain was part of it but I was hard pressed to get many ideas for my trucks. I was interested in flip steel front ends with a bumper but most were fiberglass. There were some really good guys that I visited with but I agree most of the trucks were not print worthy, not that any of mine are. The vendors were great and had plenty of catalogs as well as some pretty nice show deals. Swap meet had more doors and cabs than I've seen anywhere else.
Here's my pictures F 100 Super Nationals 214 Photos by bjmayberry2 | Photobucket
Whether I'll make the trip from St Louis again, the jury is still out.[/QUOTE]

Old 05-18-2014, 10:19 PM
vintage56
Elder User
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Well crap.
This is not the concensus I was looking for.
I was getting myself all charged up to drag a project out there next year but if they're unaccomodating, I'll eagerly look elsewhere.
This echos too many car shows.
The best years are evidently behind us?
JML

Old 05-18-2014, 10:35 PM
skinnyman
Junior User
My 2 cents..show is slipping..I was there and yes weather was not good most of show..but the magic of the show is missing...I believe it will be disbanded in 3 years

Quick Reply: 2014 supernationals - opinion