1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

2014 supernationals - opinion

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2014, 10:47 PM
bjmayberry2
Lead Driver
Received 543 Likes on 349 Posts
skinnyman wish we could have met and chewed the fat for a while. Seems there were several FTEers there we just didn't have a good way to get together.

Vintage56 it could have been the weather. I guess I was hoping pin stripers, how to seminars and more really show/magazine quality trucks would have been there. If I had to say the Pre 53-56 trucks were much nicer than the midfifty trucks. There were several 59 up trucks but I didn't take pictures of them. It's still fun to visit with the truck owners and they have no problems telling you things the wish they'd have done differently.
The truck I found most intriguing was the Edsel truck. There's a picture in my folder.

Old 05-19-2014, 02:45 AM
bigwin56f100
Lead Driver
Received 843 Likes on 478 Posts
The swap meet area was GREAT, as long as they have this show I will be setting up

Old 05-19-2014, 07:39 AM
old uhaul
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have been attending the supernationals for about 25 years now. The show has changed over the years but all the great friendships remain. I have always enjoyed the show and this year was no different.
Sorry to see so many people complaining.
Any day at a truck show is better than working right?
Just my thoughts............

Old 05-19-2014, 07:51 AM
tacson
Cargo Master

Received 88 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by bigwin56f100
The swap meet area was GREAT, as long as they have this show I will be setting up
I agree the swap meet area was the best I had seen in years... I hope all the guys swapping did well

Old 05-19-2014, 07:56 AM
tacson
Cargo Master

Originally Posted by old uhaul
I have been attending the supernationals for about 25 years now. The show has changed over the years but all the great friendships remain. I have always enjoyed the show and this year was no different.
Sorry to see so many people complaining.
Any day at a truck show is better than working right?
Just my thoughts............

Anthony you raise good points. Day(s) at a show are better than work. It does take a massive effort to put on a show and get everything covered and coordinated. I think although the normal "vibe" and energy associated with the show has weaned some. You are right also with reference to friendships formed. I saw people that I did not know their name but I know their truck and face having seen them every year since 93. So yeah the show is definitely more than trucks. A feeling of times from yesteryear wouldnt be bad either though. Hope you did well in the swap meet area. Did you sell the cab you had in the back of the box truck?

Old 05-19-2014, 09:35 AM
skinnyman
Junior User
What would save the show in my opinion and give it that family feel like it used to be where at night u could walk around and talk with people iand there trucks .and watch trucks cruise in from all over the country to the hotel is move it back to the grand...maybe after it gets remodeled ..

Old 05-19-2014, 11:28 AM
DR Smith
Fleet Mechanic
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
The things that you are saying, That was bad about the Supernationals . Is the reason we started the Truckstock get together . Just a group of people getting together to enjoy their old trucks , and make new friends . Every event has been better than the one before , and nobody has complained about them . I for one, look forward to each event , and can't believe more of you are not getting one going in your area .

Old 05-19-2014, 02:55 PM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by DR Smith
The things that you are saying, That was bad about the Supernationals . Is the reason we started the Truckstock get together . Just a group of people getting together to enjoy their old trucks , and make new friends . Every event has been better than the one before , and nobody has complained about them . I for one, look forward to each event , and can't believe more of you are not getting one going in your area .

Old 05-19-2014, 04:03 PM
GMbusa
Senior User
Maybe I need to attend this Truckstock I keep hearing about.

Old 05-19-2014, 04:32 PM
bjmayberry2
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by GMbusa
Maybe I need to attend this Truckstock I keep hearing about.
It's not a show just a get together.

OBTW anyone going have a straight Drivers Front fender 53-56?

Dave (DR Smith) do you still want a non side mount rear fender? I've got one with rust out where it meets the running board.

Old 05-19-2014, 05:29 PM
DR Smith
Fleet Mechanic
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
No thanks BJ , I have decided to put the spare back on the fender .

Old 05-19-2014, 06:51 PM
bjmayberry2
Lead Driver
Good Dave!
I'm still lookin for a 53-56 drivers side front fender.

Old 05-19-2014, 08:38 PM
old uhaul
Senior User
Didn't sell the cab but it will become another truck if I can get to it.
The first supernationals I attended was about 25 years ago and it was great being able to walk around the trucks at night and talk with everyone.That part has changed and I do miss that.I will say that even back then,and some years later I always heard people complaining about stupid stuff like where they had to park,classes for the trophys,the condition of the grand,the weather etc. I say enjoy the trucks,enjoy the people and make the best of any venue. Don't forget this hobby is supposed to be fun,otherwise whats the point...

Old 05-20-2014, 09:45 AM
tacson
Cargo Master

Originally Posted by old uhaul
Didn't sell the cab but it will become another truck if I can get to it.
The first supernationals I attended was about 25 years ago and it was great being able to walk around the trucks at night and talk with everyone.That part has changed and I do miss that.I will say that even back then,and some years later I always heard people complaining about stupid stuff like where they had to park,classes for the trophys,the condition of the grand,the weather etc. I say enjoy the trucks,enjoy the people and make the best of any venue. Don't forget this hobby is supposed to be fun,otherwise whats the point...
Change is inevitable. You are correct...

Old 05-20-2014, 06:51 PM
abeagle
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This was my first year at the Supernationals and my wife and I went Friday. Our old stock 55 is not up to the road trip that far and that fast so we took our daily driver. The weather was a problem - cold and turned rainy/showers on and off. I too saw no programs which would have been nice. There were a few good trucks that one can get good ideas from and we did talk to a few owners. Talking to owners is always one of the best parts.

We have no base to judge from, but it was worth the 2 1/2 hour trip to visit. The parts dealers and swap meet area was nice. We will go back next year since we now have a base idea of the show, but it is also the closest large show to our home in Southwestern VA.

One thing we noted was that there were very few stock or near stock trucks which we like and we expected more at the Supernationals. Is that normal for the show?

Bruce

Quick Reply: 2014 supernationals - opinion