1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dual upfitter switches

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 08:13 PM
NorEasterMA
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Dual upfitter switches

Now call me crazy, but has anyone taken a truck with factory upfitters, and then bought the upfitter kit (switches, relays, etc. the whole kit) and installed it in the truck, so as to have TWO banks of 4 upfitters. I feel like in theory it's a very real possibility, but has anyone actually done this? I imagine that wiring it in a similar way to factory would make it possible, to keep it relay driven (10A/30A) and also switched with the ignition. I've been contemplating ways to add switches to my truck without cutting holes, doing an F650 mod, or getting the police lower dash console. I'm going to start by looking at some wiring diagrams and if it looks good I may give it a shot, just wanted to see if anyone has any thoughts.

Old 05-14-2014, 04:25 PM
NorEasterMA
Posting Guru
Well for those that are interested, if any, I'll be picking up an upfitter kit from Ford next week. Found a thread on a raptor forum about someone taking the switches only and making their own relay setup to the battery, but so far nothing about putting a second set in the dash cleanly using the factory harness. I'll keep this updated just for the sake of documentation if nothing else..

Old 05-14-2014, 06:38 PM
SD Dually
Senior User
I would like to put another set of upfitters in my truck, but problem is no place to really put them. The bezel that surrounds the switches has a slightly curved contour, and one side has rounded corners.
I guess one way to do it would be to disassemble the extra upfitter kit, turn the bezel upside down and trim off about a quarter inch off of it on the square side, trim the same off of the existing upfitter bezel also, then place the extra upfitter kit in the area where the trailer brake controller is (you will lose the trailer brake controller) or if you don't have the trailer brake controller and just have the cubby or coin holder then you won't have any thing to worry about.

I will see if I can upload a pic on what I'm talking about so you can see what it would look like before you do any cutting.

SD Dually

Old 05-14-2014, 07:11 PM
TexasRebel
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Are there any Right hand Drive upfitter kits?

They would likely be a mirror image as the TBC goes closest to the driver.

Old 05-14-2014, 07:54 PM
SD Dually
Senior User
[IMG][/IMG]

Trim off where the Red line is on both bezels, turn the extra bezel upside down so that the rounded corners will be on the outside.
The Red line I have here is just a reference, disassemble both upfitter kits and put both bezels in the cubby together to see exactly how much needs
to be cut off each one so they will fit nice and snug and look uniform.

SD Dually

Old 05-14-2014, 08:12 PM
SD Dually
Senior User
Not sure if they make driver side upfitter kit, would help a little if they did, still probably would have to trim some off each one though so they both could fit in the cubby.

SD Dually

Old 05-14-2014, 08:32 PM
NorEasterMA
Posting Guru
SD Dually, that's sort of my plan. My logic here is that on my generation of trucks 05-07, which puts the up fitter switch on the left and the cubby on the right, I don't want to get that kit because of the contours. On the 08+ the cubby is on the left and the up fitters on the right. Although the switch pack seems taller, I plan on getting the 08+ kit and trim it to fit where my cubby is. Your image is essentially correct, although my truck initially is reversed. I'm not worried about getting it fitted in, it may take a while but I think I will get it nicely fitted, since I don't have a TBC to worry about, and truly if I have a need for one, it won't be a day-to-day need and I'll pop it on my dash by my CB for the time it is needed.

Wiring wise, I think I've got it nailed down. I will be putting a new fuse block in for the four new up fitters, so that each new relay gets it's own new fuse and power. I will pull from a switched power source for the actual switch panel itself, to keep the switches operational only when the key is turned. Same thing with an interior light wire (probably the same as for the factory installed up fitters) so that they light up. I know these two wires are extremely low draw, but I may relay them just to be on the safe side.

Old 06-07-2014, 09:15 PM
NorEasterMA
Posting Guru
I know this is reviving this thread from the dead, buuut I finally got around to ordering the upfitter switch kit and necessary wiring components...I will keep this thread updated as parts come in and as I do the install for those interested.

Old 06-11-2014, 09:51 PM
NorEasterMA
Posting Guru
Switch kit came in today. Fuse block comes in tomorrow and then my next day off (Saturday) I'll hopefully get the install going.

Name:  pjQSOFD.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  608.0 KB

Name:  txIESHu.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  519.0 KB

Name:  LzxGuiy.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  495.7 KB

Album:upfitter switches - Imgur

Old 06-11-2014, 10:42 PM
Trophy_23
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking forward to seeing how this turns out! Good luck with everything.

Old 06-12-2014, 09:22 PM
NorEasterMA
Posting Guru
Fuse block came in today and I started taking the switch kit apart, looks like the trimming of the switch bezel won't be too much trouble, and wiring should be simple, just need to find a place to mount the relay pack. I wish I could find the female harness plug that mates with the plug on the upfitter kit so that I could use it in the harness I'm making but I suppose hard wiring it won't be bad. Pictures to follow.

Old 06-12-2014, 09:53 PM
loveford47
Freshman User
Interesting! Wait to see more...

Old 06-13-2014, 01:09 PM
xmontex4
Logistics Pro
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Iv'e seen it done but i can't find the thread i saw befre right now... i think it snaps into place because the 05 opening is the same size on both sides. Shouldn't be hard except wiring the second set because you only have the wiring for 1 set right now.

Try snapping them in before cutting them up! The thread i saw before there was no trimming involved they just snapped in together in the 05-07 trucks if you got an 05 and 08 kit.

Old 06-13-2014, 09:49 PM
NorEasterMA
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by xmontex4
Iv'e seen it done but i can't find the thread i saw befre right now... i think it snaps into place because the 05 opening is the same size on both sides. Shouldn't be hard except wiring the second set because you only have the wiring for 1 set right now.

Try snapping them in before cutting them up! The thread i saw before there was no trimming involved they just snapped in together in the 05-07 trucks if you got an 05 and 08 kit.
Thanks for the advice Matt, I wish I could see that thread so I would know if my info is incorrect. I do know that the 08+ kits (08-11 and 11+) both employ the right side switches/left side cubbies, but both of these generations saw a redesigned dash with a higher opening for the up fitters. It is clear looking at the two bezels (the 06 and the 08) that the new set is wider and taller than the bezel for my 06. No matter though, a little time with a micrometer and a scribe and I've got the new bezel marked for trimming so it will fit in exactly where the pocket was. Should work just fine.
UPDATE I just did some googling and it turns out the part I was sent is a kit for a 2011+ truck, however from what I've seen the 08 and 11 have the same bezel? I'm not sure, again, trusty micrometer and a dremel = problem solver.

Wiring will be easy, I know the pinout from the body harness connection that I have, and will create my own wiring harness "truck side". I have the fuse block seen below that will give each of the four relays a properly fused power supply (10A 10A 30A 30A) and then there will be a line to the battery with a 100A fuse on it from the block.

The only other wires that leaves is the wire for illumination, and the switched power wire. The illumination wire is extremely low draw, so I will piggy-back off of that wire at the headlight switch. The switched ignition source is also low draw, as it just provides power to the switches to engage the relays, so that will be pulled either straight from the harness on the column or from a fuse in my main panel.

Honestly the only part I don't have planned out already is where exactly I'm going to mount this new fuse block and the relay block up behind the dash. Tomorrow morning I will be trimming the bezel and test fitting the switches themselves, and then I'll move right along to creating my wiring harness.

Fuse Block I ordered. Stock image but I have it hand and I've extremely pleased with the build quality and design of it. Not weatherproof, but it'll be inside the truck anyway.

Fuse Block

Old 06-13-2014, 10:02 PM
Trophy_23
Elder User
Originally Posted by NorEasterMA
Thanks for the advice Matt, I wish I could see that thread so I would know if my info is incorrect. I do know that the 08+ kits (08-11 and 11+) both employ the right side switches/left side cubbies, but both of these generations saw a redesigned dash with a higher opening for the up fitters. It is clear looking at the two bezels (the 06 and the 08) that the new set is wider and taller than the bezel for my 06. No matter though, a little time with a micrometer and a scribe and I've got the new bezel marked for trimming so it will fit in exactly where the pocket was. Should work just fine.
UPDATE I just did some googling and it turns out the part I was sent is a kit for a 2011+ truck, however from what I've seen the 08 and 11 have the same bezel? I'm not sure, again, trusty micrometer and a dremel = problem solver.

Wiring will be easy, I know the pinout from the body harness connection that I have, and will create my own wiring harness "truck side". I have the fuse block seen below that will give each of the four relays a properly fused power supply (10A 10A 30A 30A) and then there will be a line to the battery with a 100A fuse on it from the block.

The only other wires that leaves is the wire for illumination, and the switched power wire. The illumination wire is extremely low draw, so I will piggy-back off of that wire at the headlight switch. The switched ignition source is also low draw, as it just provides power to the switches to engage the relays, so that will be pulled either straight from the harness on the column or from a fuse in my main panel.

Honestly the only part I don't have planned out already is where exactly I'm going to mount this new fuse block and the relay block up behind the dash. Tomorrow morning I will be trimming the bezel and test fitting the switches themselves, and then I'll move right along to creating my wiring harness.

Fuse Block I ordered. Stock image but I have it hand and I've extremely pleased with the build quality and design of it. Not weatherproof, but it'll be inside the truck anyway.

Fuse Block
Those Blue Sea marine blocks are nice! For the trigger wire you might be able to use the wire just behind where the upfitters are (IIRC it was white with baby blue tracer)I used it to power my aux connection to my factory deck. It is only powered when the truck is running.

Quick Reply: Dual upfitter switches