1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Fuel Bowl Snubber Removal Difficulty

Old 05-12-2014, 06:35 PM
timmygyu
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel Bowl Snubber Removal Difficulty

Been doing the fuel bowl rebuild on my '96, 7.3 Powerstroke E350 van, and it's all going pretty smoothly – except for this little bugger (okay, snubber):

I've been following Guzzle's OBS guide:
http://www.dieselorings.com/docs/OBSFuelBowlRebuild.pdf
This guide says you can get the part out with a pick. But damn if I can do it. I'm afraid if I apply too much more pressure, it's gonna break!

I've tried soaking it in WD-40, PB Blaster, Liquid Wrench, and Brake Parts Cleaner. Although I still can't pry it up, it does rotate freely – about 45 degrees in either direction.

Guzzle's photo shows the part partially removed upward, and you can see that it has a series of horizontal lines. I can't tell if they are concentric grooves or perhaps screw threads. If they are actually threads, then maybe the part is supposed to be unscrewed instead of pried out?

Another thing: mine seems to be made of metal instead of plastic, as Guzzle mentions. Poking with a pick, the piece seems very hard – harder than any plastic I've encountered. Can't be sure, though, until it's out. It isn't steel, because I tested it with a magnet. But it could be some king of treated aluminum. (The fuel bowl itself is aluminum.)

Anyway, I'm stuck at this stage of the disassembly. Is it really necessary to remove this part, and either way, how do you get it out?

Old 05-12-2014, 06:51 PM
RÖENTGEEP
FOREIGN GURU

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Arrow

Originally Posted by timmygyu
Been doing the fuel bowl rebuild on my '96, 7.3 Powerstroke E350 van, and it's all going pretty smoothly – except for this little bugger (okay, snubber):

I've been following Guzzle's OBS guide:
http://www.dieselorings.com/docs/OBSFuelBowlRebuild.pdf
This guide says you can get the part out with a pick. But damn if I can do it. I'm afraid if I apply too much more pressure, it's gonna break!

I've tried soaking it in WD-40, PB Blaster, Liquid Wrench, and Brake Parts Cleaner. Although I still can't pry it up, it does rotate freely – about 45 degrees in either direction.

Guzzle's photo shows the part partially removed upward, and you can see that it has a series of horizontal lines. I can't tell if they are concentric grooves or perhaps screw threads. If they are actually threads, then maybe the part is supposed to be unscrewed instead of pried out?

Another thing: mine seems to be made of metal instead of plastic, as Guzzle mentions. Poking with a pick, the piece seems very hard – harder than any plastic I've encountered. Can't be sure, though, until it's out. It isn't steel, because I tested it with a magnet. But it could be some king of treated aluminum. (The fuel bowl itself is aluminum.)

Anyway, I'm stuck at this stage of the disassembly. Is it really necessary to remove this part, and either way, how do you get it out?
How was the crude in the rest of the FPR and in the mesh? to much or not much? I dont know how to get it out, but if there were no to much crude I wont get it out, really IDK. This is a bump for you and I also want to know your questions. Looking at the pics in the diesel-o-rings, seems like it has some grooves, and striats (spl?), dont look like screw threads.

Old 05-12-2014, 06:59 PM
timmygyu
Junior User
The crud was pretty bad in there; I don't see how fuel was getting thru the filter. I guess this snubber leads to the fuel restriction sensor, so, while I would like to have it working, I guess it's not going to bring me to a screeching halt if it stays a bit dirty.

Thanks for the bump.

Old 05-12-2014, 07:01 PM
RÖENTGEEP
FOREIGN GURU

Smile

Originally Posted by timmygyu
The crud was pretty bad in there; I don't see how fuel was getting thru the filter. I guess this snubber leads to the fuel restriction sensor, so, while I would like to have it working, I guess it's not going to bring me to a screeching halt if it stays a bit dirty.

Thanks for the bump.
OK, good luck.

Old 05-12-2014, 11:03 PM
pjwoolw
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You might be able to blow it out with shop air. Or don't worry about it. No big deal if you can't get it out.

Old 05-14-2014, 05:25 PM
timmygyu
Junior User
pjwoolw:

Thanks, I'll think about that. Though, I can just see it shooting off into the nether regions of lower slobbovia...

Old 05-15-2014, 06:19 PM
91 Dually
Elder User

This is what it looks like. It is plastic. Those are fins, not threads. Yours must just have crud packed around it.

Old 05-16-2014, 08:19 AM
RÖENTGEEP
FOREIGN GURU

Arrow

Originally Posted by 91 Dually
This is what it looks like. It is plastic. Those are fins, not threads. Yours must just have crud packed around it.
Rep sent for you, very good pic and comment

Old 05-16-2014, 12:27 PM
timmygyu
Junior User
whoops, double post...

Old 05-16-2014, 12:28 PM
timmygyu
Junior User
91 Dually:

Yeah, thanks for the pic! You've been rep'd.