240/300 Clifford intake "factory" heat plate? Heat plate kit?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2014, 01:31 PM
Schuyles
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
240/300 Clifford intake "factory" heat plate? Heat plate kit?

Hi guys. I have been contemplating building a 300 and then swapping the 240 out in my '65 F100. I'm still unsure if I'll try an intake/carb/exhaust setup on the 240 or just build a side engine for fun and eventually swap it out.

The first and only part I have is this older Clifford intake. It doesn't have the provision for the water reservoir, but it does have a square flange with threaded holes in the bottom. I tried reading and googling, and it seems that maybe Clifford made a "Heat plate kit" at one time for this intake. Does anybody have any information on this kit? I found a site online that offered a "heat plate kit" but it was out of stock, with no picture, and I can't find it again.

I guess that the square flange would at least make it easy to build a plate as many have done with the aftermarket intakes. Thanks for any information!

Old 05-08-2014, 03:15 PM
Harte3
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
"It doesn't have the provision for the water reservoir..." Not sure what you mean by 'water reservoir".

The second pic, the one of the underneath, shows where the heating/cooling plate/plumbing goes. And no, there probably is not one on the market...you get to DIY which is simple and easy enough.

Old 05-08-2014, 03:37 PM
Schuyles
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Harte3
"It doesn't have the provision for the water reservoir..." Not sure what you mean by 'water reservoir".

The second pic, the one of the underneath, shows where the heating/cooling plate/plumbing goes. And no, there probably is not one on the market...you get to DIY which is simple and easy enough.
I don't know when the change occurred, but if you buy a new 240/300 intake from Clifford, it has, in their words, a "water heated passage" on the underside of the intake to provide the heat to the bottom of the intake - so you don't have to DIY a bulky plate under the intake.

Thanks

Old 05-08-2014, 04:42 PM
Harte3
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It's not the hardest thing in the world to DIY the part. And what do you mean by bulky? The weight of a piece of 3/8" or 1/2" aluminum with the appropriate piping plumbed in doesn't weigh much and unless you stand on your head in the engine bay you can't even see it when it's installed.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...g-plate-3.html There are pictures of one made for an Offy manifold...it isn't that difficult.

Old 05-08-2014, 05:04 PM
Schuyles
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Harte3
It's not the hardest thing in the world to DIY the part. And what do you mean by bulky? The weight of a piece of 3/8" or 1/2" aluminum with the appropriate piping plumbed in doesn't weigh much and unless you stand on your head in the engine bay you can't even see it when it's installed.
I appreciate that you're trying to help, so thank you. I guess that pointing out the obvious answers to questions that weren't asked probably makes you feel smart or something, but I don't think you understand the point of my thread. I see you post a hundred times on threads like these, and yet you say you don't know what a "water reservoir" is...I guess to try to make me look stupid for calling it that?

I understand how to make a simple heat plate, which is why I never asked how to make it. That topic has been covered a million times on here. The word "bulky" in this scenario doesn't mean heavy, I just mean the added part bolted to your intake, as opposed to the integrated water jacket like on the new Clifford intake. I don't know anyone with a high school education who can't understand that the integrated design is cleaner and less "bulky" than fabbing a plate with two giant pipes on it (which seems to be the choice of a lot of guys on here with 300's). As for not seeing it unless you're standing on your head in the engine bay...I guess you've never seen the inside of an engine bay of a pre 1970's vehicle with an inline 6. I'm sorry if the word "bulky" has offended you.

I simply asked if anyone had any information about a "Factory Heat Plate" made by Clifford, if such a part exists. You obviously are not familiar with a factory heat plate made by Clifford, so thank you for your response.

Old 05-08-2014, 06:32 PM
BaronVonAutomatc
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Sounds like you've got it all figured out.

Old 05-08-2014, 07:29 PM
Schuyles
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by BaronVonAutomatc
Sounds like you've got it all figured out.
Thanks to posts by you and others, like Harte3, I understand that most build a heat plate for their aftermarket intakes. I agree that it's not difficult to go that route, and I'm sure I probably will end up doing something similar.

I read one time, and maybe it was incorrect, that Clifford used to make a part that attached to the bottom of the manifold, which could have been called a "Heat Plate Kit." I understand that by asking that question, it seems like I don't want to make one and just want to buy one. I was just wondering if the people who frequent this part of the forum and know a lot about these parts have ever heard of this kit, more out of curiosity than anything. I think it would be cool to locate one, if it exists. I am not in a hurry, so I'm just gathering information from those who would know the most about these aftermarket parts.

Thanks for your help.

Old 05-08-2014, 07:52 PM
Schuyles
Posting Guru
Here is the site I saw, and was wondering what it was...if anyone was familiar with it.

Central High Performance - CLIFFORD PERF. PRODUCTS 08-1900 - HEAT PLATE KIT

I will call them tomorrow to see if they know anything about it.

After using google more, I found this picture and the following description:

"This is the Clifford exhaust heat plate kit I installed. The plate attaches to the manifold base, and the kit includes threaded fittings you weld onto the headers, then drill inside. The pipe fittings and copper tubing complete the kit. One fitting goes on the outside of a bend and the other goes on a straight section. There's pressure in the bend and suction in the straight section to get the gases flowing through it. The exhaust heats up quicker than coolant so it warms up the aluminum manifold fairly quickly. Also I don't have to mess with the coolant at all if I need to change my manifold gasket.

Looks like this may be something that does exist, but admittedly is no less "bulky" than anything that is fabricated to accomplish the same thing.

Again, thanks guys. If anyone finds any more information about the Clifford Heat Plate Kit, it'd be interesting to know.

Old 05-08-2014, 09:42 PM
Schuyles
Posting Guru
A little bit more for information's sake. Here is where someone is asking if the bottom of the "old style" Clifford intake bolts to the stock exhaust manifold (fordsix forum) FORDSIX PERFORMANCE • View topic - Interesting E-bay Cliffy Intake The answer given (supposedly by someone who worked at Clifford) is as follows: "That is not an area where you would be able to bolt on the old stock exhaust manifold. That is an old style intake that was stopped being produced that way around 96 or 97 while I was there. Its use is for using a Clifford heat plate kit and using exhaust gas to heat the manifold. All intakes from 96 or 97 where either water heated or not heated. They even stopped selling the thermo-heat plate for the top as well." And here is another story of the "Clifford Carb Heat Plate Kit" being used with the headers/exhaust (different than a manifold heat kit?): "I have been daily driving my 53 Hornet with Clifford headers and Twin H for nine years in Northern California where I am glad to have electric wipers and the heater/defroster are used in the winter. When the headers were first installed, the warm up time was unacceptable when I needed to drive to work in the morning--you know, late again. I mean ten minutes to avoid stalling at stop signs regardless of choke settings. Then I fitted Cliffords "carb heat plate kit" and tapped into the headers with fittings in two places (an "in" and an "out") that heated the carb base as stock. This worked fine. No more long warm-up. Ran without the choke heat tubes the whole time. Now it is California, but the car was in the mountains and cold. I did go out on more than one morning and chip ice and frost off the glass and with 12 volt cranking, no problems. So it goes when your Hudson is your transportation." clifford header and icing - Hudson Essex Terraplane Open Forum

Old 05-09-2014, 01:45 AM
RTSinDallas
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have an older dual carb Clifford intake in storage. I know it doesn't have the cast in water passage, but I thought it had the stock configuration three bolt exhaust manifold mount. I'm going to have to look and see if it has the four bolt mount yours has.
The Clifford heat plate looks like it might be difficult make work on any exhaust other than headers. But, if you have headers, it would probably be easier to replicate than find one to buy.

Old 05-09-2014, 08:21 AM
Schuyles
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by RTSinDallas
The Clifford heat plate looks like it might be difficult make work on any exhaust other than headers. But, if you have headers, it would probably be easier to replicate than find one to buy.
Agreed. It doesn't seem popular amongst the Ford guys, but on other forums they seem to use the Clifford exhaust plate type solution more frequently. A lot of times they just run the copper pipe from a factory unused port in the cast headers, but I'd be worried I didn't get the "crossflow" that was needed. It does keep the intake and exhaust contained like the original design, without adding them to the other system, which could come in handy during maintenance of either system.

It's interesting to know what Clifford intended, but I think the easiest route would still be a plate that uses water heat as most members have done. Also, maybe the fact that Clifford discontinued the exhaust design and went to the water jacket design tells us something...

Old 05-09-2014, 08:40 AM
RTSinDallas
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's what I was thinking, that the water may not heat as fast, but that it is a much more surefire way of accomplishing the same thing. You would also get the added benefit of cooling the intake in extreme conditions with using the cooling system.

Old 08-13-2015, 11:19 AM
Jeff Ranger
Tuned
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
I have a clifford intake and it has a threaded hole in it...I thought i just needed to plug it...Now im confused ugh learning engines stinks lol

Old 08-13-2015, 05:15 PM
fordman75
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Schuyles
Agreed. It doesn't seem popular amongst the Ford guys, but on other forums they seem to use the Clifford exhaust plate type solution more frequently. A lot of times they just run the copper pipe from a factory unused port in the cast headers, but I'd be worried I didn't get the "crossflow" that was needed. It does keep the intake and exhaust contained like the original design, without adding them to the other system, which could come in handy during maintenance of either system.

It's interesting to know what Clifford intended, but I think the easiest route would still be a plate that uses water heat as most members have done. Also, maybe the fact that Clifford discontinued the exhaust design and went to the water jacket design tells us something...

The problem with exhaust heat is there is no controlling it on that set up. On the stock heat riser set up there is a butterfly that closes when it gets up to temp. Using coolant to heat the intake you get the benefit of it also cooling the intake. so it will only get so hot. Yes it takes longer to heat up initially though.

The heating plate assemblies don't need to look bulky. It wouldn't be very hard to hide the set up depending on you exhaust manifold/s or header/s. That the benefit to fabbing one up. You can make it how ever you want.

There are also plenty of people that feel there is no need to heat the intake at all. I'm one of those people.