1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

School me on chips, and I'm not talking about Doritos

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2016, 07:10 PM
Bubba Jones
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
School me on chips, and I'm not talking about Doritos

I've been reading a lot about chips, tuners and programmers but have come across a lack of information one part.

Everything I read seems to say custom tunes are MUCH better. I can imagine why they are better, but no one explains exactly why EXCEPT for the transmission shifting aspect. I know you can get some custom tunes on programmers like the DP one as well, but apparently only from a few sources.

Some things I'd like to know are:

How much better would custom vs canned tunes be on a TS chip for a MANUAL transmission? I want to get a TS chip, but believe I will be getting my injectors rebuilt to stage 1 injectors within the year to refresh my 186K injectors. I believe swamps will re-tune the chip for free for the stage 1s if I buy from them instead, so I don't want to pay 100-200 more for custom tunes if they really only benefit automatic transmissions.

In your opinion, what's the best chip/tuner out there and why? I'm not looking to spend a whole bunch, so price plays a role in best here for me.

How much better would canned/stock tunes be on a TS chip than a 1705 MAX superchips programmer? That's what I have right now because it came with the truck. I understand it's a pretty low end product, but is better than nothing. I don't feel like spending 150-200 on a stock TS chip now if it won't be any better, and don't know if spending 300+ on a custom tune would be worth it now if I will have to send it in to pay for different tunes when my injectors get changed out.

I still haven't gotten my gauges yet but I'll be doing that very soon. I know it will be extremely important with a proper tuning setup so I plan on getting them.

Thanks for any clarification!

Old 05-15-2016, 07:14 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
You got it right. Buy from some buddy that will re-burn you chip if your going stage 1 later. Swamps should work but there's many out there. You just have to talk to them.

Old 05-15-2016, 07:30 PM
97-psd
Logistics Pro
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
Several like matts's at gearhead. I think I would lean towards gauges first then do the stage 1s and the new tunes at the same time.

Old 05-15-2016, 07:32 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
Gearhead, Tony Wildman, swamps, etc. do reburns. You tell the tuner what you have and they make some tunes for your truck. You get several different positions to try. Canned tunes are alright but its not exactly for your truck.

Old 05-15-2016, 07:42 PM
Bubba Jones
Fleet Mechanic
They don't do re-burns for free though right? Would the canned tunes not really be worth getting over the 1705 programmer I have now?

I'm thinking if I go with gauges and a tuner now, I'll have to wait a while before doing any injector work. I don't know if it would be worth going with custom tunes now though if I keep the stock, possibly worn out injectors.

Old 05-15-2016, 08:10 PM
fordpride
Post Fiend
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
I've had canned and the superchip 1705.
If canned or 1705 is your options for now then I'd say stay with the 1705

Old 05-15-2016, 09:32 PM
coreyallan01
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I agree with Mike, I had both in my 97, in reality their both canned; just stay with the 1705; for what it is it's safe relable power. I'll add, if and when you decide to run a TS chip with custom tunes make sure you discuss thoroghly with the vender the on/off throttle response of their tunes. I run around in my stock tune 99% of the time unless murging with traffic or running hard up through the gears getting up to speed because the down low tuning sucks, way too abrupt, DP Tuner. I like Jody's tunes and his fuel and timing but the on/off down low throttle is no good.. I say this because you mentioned a std transmission which I have.. I have no experience with slush boxes..

Old 05-15-2016, 10:44 PM
Bubba Jones
Fleet Mechanic
Hmm okay that sounds good then thanks for the information! I'm thinking I'll probably go with a TS chip when I do go with one, but that will be after injector work.

Here is an unrelated question but I figured I'd ask it here instead of a new thread because it deals with improving performance. I've read about the HPOP crossover line before and was thinking of putting something like that on when I had my engine out. I didn't do it though.

Will that crossover line help much with making the truck run a little better? If so, is it as simple as just unbolting the two oil plugs on opposite sides of the head and putting the line in?

Old 05-15-2016, 10:50 PM
coreyallan01
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Bubba Jones
Hmm okay that sounds good then thanks for the information! I'm thinking I'll probably go with a TS chip when I do go with one, but that will be after injector work.

Here is an unrelated question but I figured I'd ask it here instead of a new thread because it deals with improving performance. I've read about the HPOP crossover line before and was thinking of putting something like that on when I had my engine out. I didn't do it though.

Will that crossover line help much with making the truck run a little better? If so, is it as simple as just unbolting the two oil plugs on opposite sides of the head and putting the line in?
From what I understand the HX just quells some power spiking at idle and has no performance gains.. Kind of a sound good feel good thing..

Old 05-15-2016, 11:20 PM
Bubba Jones
Fleet Mechanic
Hmm it might be something I do then depending on cost and ease of installing now that the motor is in. I wasn't sure if it made any difference on making the motor run a little better which may help longevity or something.

I just ordered a set of gauges also so I'll have to see what I want to do from here. I got the boost, egt temp and fuel psi from glowshift with the 3 gauge pod set. Eventually I want to get the aeroforce interceptor gauge but that cost more than those three gauges combined.

Old 05-16-2016, 06:56 AM
fordman67
Hotshot
Received 398 Likes on 269 Posts
The one thing you are missing here is a hydra.
The hydra holds more tunes than I could imagine needing.
The nice thing is if if needs reflash ing it's just downloading an emailed tune to it . No sending it off and waiting.
Php(wich makes if) has a library of free tunes that are accesable once you own the hydra.most tuners will include reburns as well for when the need arises like changing to bigger injectors.

IMO the big reason I went with the hydra is the ability to have multiple tuners tunes on it at the same time. Some tuners do different aspects better than others. That versatility is key.
Yes the hydra is more $ yes but it is worth it to me.
You may not think so as budjet seems key but you won't ever have to do it again.

Old 05-16-2016, 07:38 AM
tshrager
Lead Driver
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by fordman67
The one thing you are missing here is a hydra.
The hydra holds more tunes than I could imagine needing.
The nice thing is if if needs reflash ing it's just downloading an emailed tune to it . No sending it off and waiting.
Php(wich makes if) has a library of free tunes that are accesable once you own the hydra.most tuners will include reburns as well for when the need arises like changing to bigger injectors.

IMO the big reason I went with the hydra is the ability to have multiple tuners tunes on it at the same time. Some tuners do different aspects better than others. That versatility is key.
Yes the hydra is more $ yes but it is worth it to me.
You may not think so as budjet seems key but you won't ever have to do it again.
While I completely agree with Aaron in the fact that the hydra allows you the freedom of multiple tunes with ease. However, I run 1 tune. Lol. It NEVER comes out of 140 unless it's cold and I need high idle. That's it. To me personally, the need for 1600000000000000 tunes on one chip is not needed.

Old 05-16-2016, 09:03 AM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

As far as the crossover HX, if you ever plan on a T500 or Adrenaline then they both say the HX is not needed.

Old 05-16-2016, 09:03 AM
fordman67
Hotshot
Received 398 Likes on 269 Posts
The big thing for instance is..

Tw tuning, power is good but smokey(I have read)

Gearhead, low smoke and less power

I have Andrews tunes and am happy with his tunes . He also is very responsive when I have questions ,observations or need revisions.

Glenn and Darin have or did have struk out tunes.(not sure if they were any good) I had no luck with that guy.

Then there are the unlimited excusses guys(not sure y anybody would give those jokers any $)

My point is dd you may want economy,other times power. I utilize my stock tune day to day unless I'm towing or need to teach school lol

My opinion is ts6 is just too limited .

Old 05-16-2016, 09:08 AM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

I still have the Powerstruck but he refuses to reburn them for free. Screw him!

Quick Reply: School me on chips, and I'm not talking about Doritos