Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Another autometer PYROMETER FLAKED OUT?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 10:50 PM
coplin
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another autometer PYROMETER FLAKED OUT?

Another pyrometer issue here. Since i've owned the truck (5 years) the Autometer Pro Comp Ultra Light Series Pyrometer has always been "flakey" I read alot posts about supposed issues with these. Anways mine is Stuck on 600 degrees. Even if I disconnect all the wires from the back it wont return to a Zero reading . Does this sound like the gauge itself is dicked up? Does anyone know if Autometer offers a lifetime warranty on these things, i've of some people mailing in the old one and getting a refurbished or new unit, is this correct?

Old 10-13-2010, 09:55 PM
coplin
Senior User
thermocouple

Let me try this another way.

I'm reading at other places that the exhaust probe, AKA Thermocouple has a lifespan. Mine's about 6-7 years old. Has anyone replaced their thermocouple when their EGT gauge crapped out and did it fix it. I'm trying to figure out if its the thermocouple probe or the gauge itself they're both alot $ but the thermocouple is less scrilla.

I've gone through all the wiring, i pulled the probe out of the exhaust manifold both are good. And the Pyro is grounded staight to Neg batt terminal.

It's an Autometer Ultra Lite series pyrometer the boost and transmiision gauges are operating correctly.

Old 10-13-2010, 10:42 PM
Jace78
New User
Either its shorted in the wire (resistance doesn't change so same reading always) or gauge is dicked :P

Old 10-14-2010, 12:43 PM
whh
New User
I have the gs autometer gauges and my pyro was stuck on 900. It turned out to ge the gauge.

Old 10-14-2010, 01:38 PM
coplin
Senior User
i've read alot threads about Autometer Pyrometer problems on forums an all different sites. It seems to be a common problem. For some guys the gauge was at fault and for some its the Thermocouple. It always seems to be Autometer brand gauges that are problematic I wonder if its because Autometer doesn't use the amplifier box/module that some other gauges do.

I guess i'll throw a new thermocouple at it first

Old 10-14-2010, 02:42 PM
74baja
Elder User
I have an Autometer 3 guage set. When I was installing my boost guage, I bench tested it (blew real hard into the tube) and the needle moved a bit so I figured it worked. however, for some reason, whe I installed it, it stopped working and failed bench tests after that. I called autometer, sent mygauge back and they sent me another new boost gauge that has been working great since. They may not be the nicest, but they're a little cheaper, and they didn't hesitate to send me a new one, so I'm satisfied. I had bought mine new off ebay.
I'd try to see if autometer will replace it if I was you.

Old 10-14-2010, 07:41 PM
cleatus12r
Butt-Head
Received 1,972 Likes on 1,107 Posts
I've never had trouble returning an Autometer pyrometer, but I know good and well that when I install gauges for a customer (they always want Autometer), I always buy TWO pyrometers and return the one that doesn't work. It's a 130 mile round trip for me, so I just buy two. If I luck out and the first one works (by some miracle), I simply return the other at a later date when I'm in town.

Old 03-07-2016, 02:09 AM
Johnny L
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
old thread I know, but i wanted to let any future searchers see this. I had lots of trouble with intermittent flaky readings from mine too. the dial would sometimes stay at zero, and sometimes it would fly all over the place like crazy. I grounded the gauge directly to the battery and it helped for a while but problems came back.

I solved it after 2 years. it needs to be grounded directly to the engine block, not the battery. there can be a slight voltage difference between the block and battery and the thermocouple is on the engine so you need to ground it there (same voltage/potential)

Old 03-07-2016, 05:37 AM
Bill Kay
More Turbo
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I solved it after 2 years. it needs to be grounded directly to the engine block, not the battery. there can be a slight voltage difference between the block and battery and the thermocouple is on the engine so you need to ground it there (same voltage/potential)
I had mine installed in an E99 with no problems then I swapped it to my 2000 and it went flaky on me too. I too found the problem on the ground. After running a new ground wire to the guage all is good again. 7 years now with no other problems.