Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cams for 302

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 03:34 PM
DarkNite
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cams for 302

Im finally done modding my Titan now its time to get back to work on the Ford. Im about to order my 2 inch body lift (to give me 12 inch total on an independant front suspension). Im looking into a set of rear ladder bars, only ones I can find are the Tuff Country. But since I added the 38.5x15x15 boggers Ive lost A LOT of get up and go power. I know I have to change gears from 3.50 to 4.10's (trying to find someone to do that cheap) but I was thinking about putting a bigger cam in it. Its a 1991 F150 Nite 4x4, although its a truck I had an 85 mustang 302 put in. It has headers, K&N filter, true duals... but I need more hp. Whats a good size etc Cam to go with?

Old 08-20-2009, 03:41 PM
lew52
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
With a 302 & 38.5 tires i would go at least 4.88 or lower , is it still EFI ?? Lew

Old 08-21-2009, 12:26 AM
Neptoess
Senior User
don't tow with ladder bars, you'll destroy them. Also, be very careful with 38.5s on the TTB. A half hour on the rocks will rip your axle apart like Ted Bundy would a hooker, bad analogy I know, but seriously. Dana 60 or at least a 10.25 would be much smarter if you plan on doing serious offroading

Old 08-21-2009, 08:12 AM
6CylBill
Post Fiend
A 302 with 38'' tires? Yuck. I wouldn't even want that with a 351.

Time to get some different axles and gear her 5.13 or so.

Old 08-21-2009, 08:29 AM
DarkNite
Junior User
Originally Posted by lew52
With a 302 & 38.5 tires i would go at least 4.88 or lower , is it still EFI ?? Lew
4.56 is what is called for but I dont want it geared that low which is why I was advised by a buddy of mine that builds mud trucks to run the 4.10's. Yeah she is EFI....

Originally Posted by Neptoess
don't tow with ladder bars, you'll destroy them. Also, be very careful with 38.5s on the TTB. A half hour on the rocks will rip your axle apart like Ted Bundy would a hooker, bad analogy I know, but seriously. Dana 60 or at least a 10.25 would be much smarter if you plan on doing serious offroading
She dont nor ever will tow anything other than a dog box in the bed. No rocks just dirt road and mud. I would love to swich to Dana's front and rear but its just not in the card due to $$ so I have to work with what I got.

Originally Posted by 6CylBill
A 302 with 38'' tires? Yuck. I wouldn't even want that with a 351.

Time to get some different axles and gear her 5.13 or so.
It would blow your mind at what power it still has.

No recomendations on Cams?????

Old 08-21-2009, 08:57 AM
6CylBill
Post Fiend
It would blow my mind? Sorry bub but I know better. I wasn't born yesterday. =)

No recomendation on cams. Since you're strapped for cash, I won't recomend an engine swap. I would still swap out the axles and re-gear to 5.13 or lower. The 302 isn't known for it's low end grunt, and that's what you need with tires that big.

Old 08-21-2009, 10:30 AM
DarkNite
Junior User
It would blow my mind? Sorry bub but I know better. I wasn't born yesterday. =)

No recomendation on cams. Since you're strapped for cash, I won't recomend an engine swap. I would still swap out the axles and re-gear to 5.13 or lower. The 302 isn't known for it's low end grunt, and that's what you need with tires that big.
Sorry you dont believe me LOL I will tell you this, it would smoke the 35x12.5x15 I had on it. But you probably would not believe that either then.... I actually may swap out the axles but why on earth would I go to a 5.13 or lower when all it calls for is 4.56 to be same ration (tire to gear) as stock?

Old 08-21-2009, 10:41 AM
6CylBill
Post Fiend
I don't care what "it" says. The 302 is an excellent motor but it's a gutless wonder down low. You sound like you're trying to build a daily driver anyway and not a mud truck. Since this is the case, 4.56 is good enough.

You're right, I don't believe you. Unless you mean you can power brake 35'' tires.

Good luck on the build. Sounds like an awesome truck, I'd like to see it. If you haven't already I would suggest looking into a locker while you're at the differential change. It will help you out in the mud.

Old 08-21-2009, 10:49 AM
DarkNite
Junior User
I don't care what "it" says. The 302 is an excellent motor but it's a gutless wonder down low. You sound like you're trying to build a daily driver anyway and not a mud truck. Since this is the case, 4.56 is good enough.

You're right, I don't believe you. Unless you mean you can power brake 35'' tires.

Good luck on the build. Sounds like an awesome truck, I'd like to see it. If you haven't already I would suggest looking into a locker while you're at the differential change. It will help you out in the mud.

No disrespect meant and not trying to argue..... Remember this is not the truck 302 its the mustang 302 which is more powerful. No not power braking but Im not getting in a pissing contest on what a vehicle which only 1 of the 2 of us has ever seen can do LOL. No its not a daily driver and no its not a mud truck. Its a toy/hunting truck. It gets maybe 2k miles put on it a year...I have a work car as well as my other 4x4 toy (a 2005 Nissan Titan with Headers, CAI, SuperChip, Magnaflow Catback, 4 inch performance lift, 33x12.5x20 Mud Grapplers, 20" panthers, etc....) I just need to get some HP back in the Ford as well as beef it up to take the beating it gets in the hunting club.

Old 08-21-2009, 11:25 AM
mike460
Elder User
Unless you are willing to convert to Mass Air, you will be very limited on what kind of cam you can run. Also, the 85 and earlier 302 blocks are not roller, so that will also help limit what kind of cam you can run as most of the EFI friendly cams that I know of are roller.

What you would be better off doing would be to find a 94 and later 351 (F4TE block - roller cam ready) and transplant that in. You can find them still for relatively cheap, and it would be far better suited to turning those big tires.

Old 08-21-2009, 11:38 AM
DarkNite
Junior User
Originally Posted by mike460
Unless you are willing to convert to Mass Air, you will be very limited on what kind of cam you can run. Also, the 85 and earlier 302 blocks are not roller, so that will also help limit what kind of cam you can run as most of the EFI friendly cams that I know of are roller.

What you would be better off doing would be to find a 94 and later 351 (F4TE block - roller cam ready) and transplant that in. You can find them still for relatively cheap, and it would be far better suited to turning those big tires.
Thank you!

The motor is from an 86 mustang GT and I was told when I purchased it, it was a roller'd motor. Im guessing instead of flat tapped it would mean its roller lifters etc... would I be correct to assume that? Hmmm I would love to have a 351 in there but how much conversion would that be to run EFI etc or even fit in there?

Also, can you elaborate on what your talking about "Mass Air"?

Old 08-21-2009, 11:39 AM
lew52
Postmaster
Ok you have the HO , its probably speed density (from year)not mass air so you have to get a cam compatable to SD . Idont reamember the comp cam # but im sure some one will chime in . I use the E-303 cam but i don't think that will work with SD . Your not going to get a ton of low end with 38s & 410 but the 302 likes to rev so if you keep up the rpms should be ok..... If you want alot of low end you can get it , it just takes alot of money & work . The 302 works good in the lighter 150s so if its reg cab or shortbed thats good..... Lew

Old 08-21-2009, 11:44 AM
Beechkid
Received 207 Likes on 159 Posts
IMHO I would chat with Iskenderian, Chet Herbert & Crower- they have been in the cam business since the 40's and can give you excellent recomendations.

Old 08-21-2009, 11:54 AM
6CylBill
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by DarkNite
No disrespect meant and not trying to argue..... Remember this is not the truck 302 its the mustang 302 which is more powerful. No not power braking but Im not getting in a pissing contest on what a vehicle which only 1 of the 2 of us has ever seen can do LOL. No its not a daily driver and no its not a mud truck. Its a toy/hunting truck. It gets maybe 2k miles put on it a year...I have a work car as well as my other 4x4 toy (a 2005 Nissan Titan with Headers, CAI, SuperChip, Magnaflow Catback, 4 inch performance lift, 33x12.5x20 Mud Grapplers, 20" panthers, etc....) I just need to get some HP back in the Ford as well as beef it up to take the beating it gets in the hunting club.
Well Hell's bells man if it's not a daily driver why don't you gear it as low as you can? You're only going to gain more power out of it. That's why I said I don't care what "it" says. What "it" says is to balance it back out. Screw going back to stock specs, gear the sucker for mudding. You're only putting more torque to the ground. I have 31'' tires and a 4.11 gear. I can still cruise at 70 mph but I can wrap up my revs when I need to in the mud.

The 302 HO doesn't make real power until it wraps up to 2,500 rpm or so. Once there however you start making really impressive power. In my experience I've found a high revving motor is better for throwing the mud off the tires anyway (which is what you want) so I'm not saying the 302 isn't a good motor for this; my argument is you're running too large of a tire for the gearing you're aiming for and the use you're wanting to use the 302 for. This is just my opinion though. It's your rig, you know what you're capable of. I guess I like to over do things!

If we were all made of money, we'd all be running 460's right? It's all about using what you got.

Post some pictures of the truck when you can!

Old 08-21-2009, 12:23 PM
lew52
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Beechkid
IMHO I would chat with Iskenderian, Chet Herbert & Crower- they have been in the cam business since the 40's and can give you excellent recomendations.
....I used Isky cams back in the 70s and they were great cams . I know they still make good racing cams , do they make any grinds for the truck & SD , the cams i see are mainly drag racing ???? ..Lew

Quick Reply: Cams for 302