Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replace vehicle speed sensor?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 06:49 PM
bebyb
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replace vehicle speed sensor?

Hey guys, as you know from an earlier thread, I have been having trouble with my brake lights coming on the dash on my 1989 Ford F250. After talking to several people including the dealership, I believe it is probably the vehicle speed sensor. From what I have read, it is attached to the top of the differential. So my question is, how easy is this job? Is it just like taking out a spark plug or is it more involved? Is there a significant chance of breaking it off inside the differential? Is it safe to use PB blaster or a similar chemical to loosen it up? Do any of you have any diagrams or anything that might possibly be of help?

Thank you all for any answers you can provide.

Old 05-07-2014, 07:39 PM
Phy
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It's very simple. Get under there and take a look, and you'll think "Oh, piece of cake". Just clean around it (obviously) before taking it out.

Old 05-07-2014, 08:48 PM
subford
Fleet Owner
Received 228 Likes on 177 Posts
Originally Posted by bebyb
Hey guys, as you know from an earlier thread, I have been having trouble with my brake lights coming on the dash on my 1989 Ford F250. After talking to several people including the dealership, I believe it is probably the vehicle speed sensor. From what I have read, it is attached to the top of the differential. So my question is, how easy is this job? Is it just like taking out a spark plug or is it more involved? Is there a significant chance of breaking it off inside the differential? Is it safe to use PB blaster or a similar chemical to loosen it up? Do any of you have any diagrams or anything that might possibly be of help?

Thank you all for any answers you can provide.
First off your vehicle speed sensor is not on the rear end. It is located either in the tail shaft housing of the transmission or if it is a 4X4 in the transfer case.
The sensor on the rear end is the anti-lock brake sensor and has nothing to do with vehicle speed and it signal only goes to the anti-lock brake module.

What do you mean by "been having trouble with my brake lights coming on the dash"?
If this is the ABS lamp then yes the RABS sensor on the rear end may be bad.

Old 05-07-2014, 09:15 PM
bebyb
Junior User
Originally Posted by subford
First off your vehicle speed sensor is not on the rear end. It is located either in the tail shaft housing of the transmission or if it is a 4X4 in the transfer case.
The sensor on the rear end is the anti-lock brake sensor and has nothing to do with vehicle speed and it signal only goes to the anti-lock brake module.

What do you mean by "been having trouble with my brake lights coming on the dash"?
Yes, that must be it then. Both brake lights are on and have not gone off in several days. Master cylinder and brake fluid have been replaced and I can't think of anything else it could be. I could have swore that the dealership said it was called the speed sensor lol.

Old 05-07-2014, 09:29 PM
subford
Fleet Owner
When both lights are on you need to check the brake fluid.

Old 05-07-2014, 09:37 PM
bebyb
Junior User
When both lights are on you need to check the brake fluid.
Yup, I have, and the brake fluid is perfect. Has been flushed and refilled by a reputable mechanic twice.

Old 05-07-2014, 09:45 PM
eakermeld
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Take a screwdriver and reach into the master cylinder and bob the float on that sensor up and down just to make sure it isn't stuck on the bottom.

Old 05-07-2014, 09:48 PM
bebyb
Junior User
Originally Posted by eakermeld
Take a screwdriver and reach into the master cylinder and bob the float on that sensor up and down just to make sure it isn't stuck on the bottom.
Alright, will do.

Old 05-07-2014, 09:51 PM
subford
Fleet Owner
The rear end sensor is not one of the items that will turn on both lamps.
Items that will turn them both on:
LOW BRAKE FLUID
MASTER CYLINDER FLOAT
DIODE/RESISTOR ELEMENT
DIODE/RESISTOR ELEMENT PARKING BRAKE
ANTI-LOCK VALVE SWITCH
MASTER CYLINDER SWITCH
BRAKE LIGHT WIRING

Old 05-07-2014, 09:55 PM
mdh1701
Mountain Pass
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Um, my 94's speed sensor is in the rear end, there is no speed sensor in my tranny at all. Unless I am missing something...

As for the OP... the connector (sensor?) on the front of the brake master cylinder could be bad, or like previously mentioned float could be stuck. There is also a non-replaceable fuse(fusible link?) in the wiring harness going to that connector on the BMC, at least that's what it says on my 94, if bad it says to replace the whole wiring/plug/fuse assembly. Check that out too. Just throwing ideas out there. Hope I was helpful!

Old 05-07-2014, 10:04 PM
bebyb
Junior User
The rear end sensor is not one of the items that will turn on both lamps.
Items that will turn them both on:
LOW BRAKE FLUID
MASTER CYLINDER FLOAT
DIODE/RESISTOR ELEMENT
DIODE/RESISTOR ELEMENT PARKING BRAKE
ANTI-LOCK VALVE SWITCH
MASTER CYLINDER SWITCH
BRAKE LIGHT WIRING
Well the brake fluid is fine as of now. The other problems you listed, how hard are they to fix or expensive for someone else to fix in general?

Old 05-07-2014, 10:06 PM
bebyb
Junior User
Originally Posted by mdh1701
Um, my 94's speed sensor is in the rear end, there is no speed sensor in my tranny at all. Unless I am missing something...

As for the OP... the connector (sensor?) on the front of the brake master cylinder could be bad, or like previously mentioned float could be stuck. There is also a non-replaceable fuse(fusible link?) in the wiring harness going to that connector on the BMC, at least that's what it says on my 94, if bad it says to replace the whole wiring/plug/fuse assembly. Check that out too. Just throwing ideas out there. Hope I was helpful!
My mechanic said that the connector you are mentioning was clean but could be the cause of the problem, but he couldn't replace it because his supplier didn't carry it.

Old 05-07-2014, 10:31 PM
blkF250HD
Posting Guru

OP's truck is an 89. Ford changed a few things regarding the speed sensors, not sure which year was the changeover though

The switch on the front of the MC is for cruise control deactivation. The fusible link harness is installed as part of the recall. If the pressure switch leaks, the fuse will *hopefully* snap preventing the truck from burning to the ground. That harness carries B+ voltage at all times, even with the ignition off and key removed. Prior to the recall, if the switch would leak, brake fluid would get inside the connector, and the result would be a raging inferno, sometimes taking your garage along with it.

Old 05-07-2014, 11:56 PM
bebyb
Junior User
Originally Posted by blkF250HD
OP's truck is an 89. Ford changed a few things regarding the speed sensors, not sure which year was the changeover though

The switch on the front of the MC is for cruise control deactivation. The fusible link harness is installed as part of the recall. If the pressure switch leaks, the fuse will *hopefully* snap preventing the truck from burning to the ground. That harness carries B+ voltage at all times, even with the ignition off and key removed. Prior to the recall, if the switch would leak, brake fluid would get inside the connector, and the result would be a raging inferno, sometimes taking your garage along with it.
Wow, kinda makes ya nervous about owning that thing lol.

Old 05-08-2014, 06:58 AM
subford
Fleet Owner

Nothing in the above post is right for a 1989 truck except the "float could be stuck".

Quick Reply: Replace vehicle speed sensor?