1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Betsy the Farm Truck

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2014, 09:31 PM
mrtucker80
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Betsy the Farm Truck

Hey folks,

We recently picked up Betsy, our new Farm truck.

She is a 1985 LWB 4x4, 300 I6, 4spd granny low. Running worn 33" MT Baja Claws and has the traditional old Ford saggy front end.

I have been reading alot on hear and must say I have learned alot, and still have a great deal to learn.

The name came with her, it's right on her core support.

First thing on the list is to get it to pass emissions, which here in Nashville means it has to have a CAT and has to pass the snooper test. My reading on here pushed me to pick up a set of EFI manifolds off Ebay. I also picked up a Walker downpipe and CAT as well as a new tailpipe section since her's is rotted off at the spring. Want to make it as easy as possible for the testing guy to snoop it.

The only thing that has me worried is that once I started reading I discovered that I am supposed to have the DFC system, BUT apparently someone has already started trying to swap the system. The old single barrel has a choke wire and a fuel line connected and nothing else. The computer controlled dizzy and computer are still in the truck, but I am having a hard time sorting out how this thing is making it. The EGR plate and pipe are still connected but I plan to plug it off when I swap on the EFI manifolds.

Once I get the CAT on then I can take it to have it tested. I am hopeful that it will pass since the visual is just a check for the CAT, but not knowing exactly what has been done to the ignition and electricals has me a little worried. She runs strong and fires up first time so I am hopeful for good results.

Once I am over that hurdle I have a set of used 33x12.5 KM2s with about 60% tread left that I will be swapping on. I also have a Rough Country 2.5" lift with drop brackets, coils, a new set of rear springs and shocks all around. I also have a set of WARN premium hubs to replace the Bronco/F-150 mismatch set that is on it now.

I also am trying to source a seat with springs that aren't broken and a stock steering wheel to replace the terrible grant GT wheel that is in it now.

I will try to get some pictures of the awesome black felt dash pad and the Ford blue painted dash.

I also have a 600 cfm holley that came off of my old Ford that I plan to rebuild and eventually hope to drop onto a OF DP manifold. I am also looking into doing a ignition upgrade and eliminate the computer and electronic mumbo-jumbo.

I know I will have plenty of questions, but for now just wanted to make an intro and a short list of things on the to-do list.

Cheers folks

Matthew

Old 05-01-2014, 05:54 AM
Franklin2
Received 1,678 Likes on 1,356 Posts
This "used to be" a farm truck or is "going to be" a farm truck? If it's "going to be" a farm truck, do you really have a farm? If so, in my state a farm use vehicle does not need tags and does not need inspections or to pass emissions. But there are restrictions. You have to use it for the farm, and there are mileage restrictions(a distance limitation from the farm).

Do they lift the hood during your inspections? If so, they are never going pass a 4bbl holley on a six cylinder.