2015 - 2020 F150 Discuss the 2015 - 2020 Ford F150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Are manual transmissions things of the past for Ford Trucks?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2016, 10:02 PM
JKBrad
Received 804 Likes on 589 Posts
Originally Posted by madpogue
Ahem ZF5/ZF6 cough!
Understood I should have clarified in an F150. Thought it was a given since we're in an F150 forum here, but you'll never know who'll drop in.

On a side note, I bought a brand new GMC 1500 extended cab in 1994 that came from the factory with an NV4500! Crazy. It had a TBI 350 and a 3.08 rear end. The granny would get anything I needed to pull going and the OD gave me 18 mpg on the highway. I got a great deal on it because nobody wanted it. I think it was a special order that someone backed out on. I've only ever seen one other like it.

Old 05-04-2016, 02:09 PM
jedijeb
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
My 63 F100 had a 3 on the tree. I actually liked it because there was no floor shifter in the way to slide in to the drivers seat from the passenger side.
I think all the "extra" gears in transmissions are overrated. You really only need 4; 3 forward gears and one for reverse. One to get going, one for passing, one for crusing and one to back up for what ever falls off the truck.
That's all you need! In my 96 F150 I normally only use 1 3 and 5 when driving, don't really need 2 or 4 unless taking off on a steep hill or pulling a heavy load.

When I first got the 96 with the M5 OD back in 96 I hauled about 2500 pounds of tobacco 60 miles to market in the bed of the truck up and down hills on curvy roads, I figure if that didn't break it then any normal usage for a half ton truck should be ok, and so far it has worked just fine for 250k miles. What normally kills them is if the seal at the top where the shifter mounts drys out and leaks and it blows the oil out. The other thing is people trying to tow heavy trailers when they have 2:73 or 3:08 gears in it, just puts too much strain on the transmission.

Old 05-04-2016, 02:44 PM
Kapusta
Cargo Master
Received 1,715 Likes on 641 Posts
I have a feeling my truck was used for some heavy towing and it may have had a bed mounted camper at some point. It has a stout frame mounted hitch and air shocks in the rear.

Old 05-04-2016, 02:58 PM
Dakster
Lead Driver
Received 111 Likes on 37 Posts
It used to be, back in the day, that manuals had more power and got better mileage. Or at least you could make them as efficient as you wanted.

Always liked having absolute control.

Old 05-04-2016, 05:46 PM
Kapusta
Cargo Master
Received 1,715 Likes on 641 Posts
Agreed. I like to control the truck and not the truck controlling me. I think I could still get a manual transmission equipped truck get better mileage than a similarly equipped automatic.

Old 05-04-2016, 07:07 PM
Pgh Rebel
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by jedijeb
That's all you need! In my 96 F150 I normally only use 1 3 and 5 when driving, don't really need 2 or 4 unless taking off on a steep hill or pulling a heavy load.

When I first got the 96 with the M5 OD back in 96 I hauled about 2500 pounds of tobacco 60 miles to market in the bed of the truck up and down hills on curvy roads, I figure if that didn't break it then any normal usage for a half ton truck should be ok, and so far it has worked just fine for 250k miles. What normally kills them is if the seal at the top where the shifter mounts drys out and leaks and it blows the oil out. The other thing is people trying to tow heavy trailers when they have 2:73 or 3:08 gears in it, just puts too much strain on the transmission.

I think the heaviest load I ever had in my 2006 was about 1300-1400 lbs of mulch. With 3.55's out back it handled it fine and I hardly knew it was back there, except on the steepest of hills, when it wanted to bog down a bit. If I'm running empty, I can routinely take off in 2nd if I'm on level ground. Been doing that for 10 years, it never hurt the clutch a bit. If I'm taking off uphill, then just to be safe I will go into 1st. I have jumped gears, but I don't usually do that while I'm driving. I try to drive it as gently as possible, unless I really need to get on it. If treated properly, the M5OD is as stout as it needs to be. Remember, it's a 1/2 ton truck not a Superduty!

Old 05-04-2016, 10:03 PM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Received 128 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Pgh Rebel
Nice Chevy Russ! Do you get a chance to put the top down much up there in Alaska?
We get some great days, these last 3 summers have had so many record breaking days it's been great. Which is good since we have two convertibles.

Old 05-04-2016, 10:37 PM
Pgh Rebel
Fleet Mechanic
Dang that Olds is a big ol car! Sure looks sweet though

Old 02-05-2017, 03:16 PM
Methano
New User
Cool Manual transmissions still common

You just have to leave the USA to find manual transmissions still outnumber automatics. My friends in Colombia laughed when I asked if they drove automatics. They had never owned an automatic. I too have never owned an automatic transmission, and never plan to buy a vehicle that has one. Winter driving, off road driving, and mountain braking are only a few of the reasons I would never feel safe in an automatic.

Old 02-05-2017, 05:11 PM
Frdtrkrul
Laughing Gas
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Methano
You just have to leave the USA to find manual transmissions still outnumber automatics. My friends in Colombia laughed when I asked if they drove automatics. They had never owned an automatic. I too have never owned an automatic transmission, and never plan to buy a vehicle that has one. Winter driving, off road driving, and mountain braking are only a few of the reasons I would never feel safe in an automatic.
That's outside of North America and isn't surprising. It's because modern automatics get the same mpg or slightly better mpg over manuals, as well a lot of people do not want to learn them. Another factor is not every manual is the same, as far as where the clutch engages, so it's a learning curve for most. Top of that, some engines are detuned, like the Cummins turbo diesel, mostly because of the clutch.

The only trucks that still come with a manual are Tacoma, Frontier and the Colorado/Canyon I believe. It's possible but unlikely, the new Ranger may come with one but I wouldn't hold my breath and I'm just guessing. Considering this thread is also over a year old, I wouldn't expect many more replies.

Old 02-05-2017, 05:18 PM
GlueGuy
Lead Driver
Received 214 Likes on 180 Posts
At some point, at least in North America, it will become more expensive to have a manual transmission. Simply because of the small production numbers.

Old 02-07-2017, 08:26 AM
Methano
New User
"the new Ranger may come with one but I wouldn't hold my breath" Actually if you want a new Ranger with a manual transmission, or perhaps a diesel and a manual transmission, all you have to do is cross the border to Mexico. Getting it imported to the US might land you in jail, but Ford does sell manual transmissions in trucks in Mexico. Glimpse of the Future? Check out this Ford Ranger from the 2016 Overland Expo - The Fast Lane Truck

The reasons given for manuals not being offered are pure BS. The real reason is US regulation. CAFE standards make it undesirable for a US auto manufacturer to sell manual transmissions and so they have eliminated them, and seem to have convinced all of you that it is because no one wants them.

I just ordered a new Tacoma with a manual. Of course, I had to order it built. They would not sell me one without preordering it. I could care less about the cost, because I know that over the years, with my driving style, the manual will get better fuel economy and is safer to drive, as well as being much more adept off road than an automatic.

Old 02-07-2017, 06:13 PM
Pgh Rebel
Fleet Mechanic
Many people I know either do not know how to drive a manual and have no interest in learning; or they know how to drive it but still have no interest in owning one. We as buyers must realize two things: the automakers cannot build the vehicles we want, they can only build what the federal government and the EPA will allow them to build; the second thing is that those of us Americans who still prefer a manual transmission are a dying breed. Go to any city or suburb and talk to someone who spends 3 hours of their day sitting in rush hour traffic and ask them if they want to fool with a clutch pedal. More than likely the answer will be a resounding NO!

Old 02-07-2017, 08:14 PM
GlueGuy
Lead Driver
Received 214 Likes on 180 Posts
Many people I know either do not know how to drive a manual and have no interest in learning; or they know how to drive it but still have no interest in owning one. We as buyers must realize two things: the automakers cannot build the vehicles we want, they can only build what the federal government and the EPA will allow them to build; the second thing is that those of us Americans who still prefer a manual transmission are a dying breed. Go to any city or suburb and talk to someone who spends 3 hours of their day sitting in rush hour traffic and ask them if they want to fool with a clutch pedal. More than likely the answer will be a resounding NO!
Well, there's that. We do consider our manual transmission vehicles as having built-in anti-theft devices. The flip side is when you go someplace with alleged "valet parking", and the parking droid can't drive the vehicle?!? It's alternately hilarious and depressing! :-

Old 02-07-2017, 10:38 PM
brokenleg
Fleet Mechanic
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Pretty much the truth. Ive driven sticks for years myself. but they are hard to find and most people dont want to have a stick. and they are not cheaper to maintain anymore either.

Quick Reply: Are manual transmissions things of the past for Ford Trucks?