Yesterday's swap meet

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2014, 11:32 AM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 47 Posts
Yesterday's swap meet

In Mt. Vernon Wa. Only about 20 minutes from where our ferry docks on the mainland. I bought a '47 Wa. truck license plate for my other '47, and a hubcap for the 1/2 ton for a dollar. I also bought an old sealed beam tractor light for a back up lamp because it had a good yellow paint job, also an item that was brand new... Cowl lacing for the front fenders. Two HD tow hooks, and on the way home I stopped by a metal salvage place and bought a bunch of steel tubing with bends to rig up the fuel fill for my under the bed fuel tank. It will fill from the original cab corner filler. I also bought 2) 8' lengths of 1 1/2 x 3" steel channel for the start of my headache rack for the 2 ton. The script bed has 4 heavy sockets up front to accept this channel. Oh, then when I got back on the island at 9 pm I drove past an old place where the folks had moved away a long time ago, but they show up once in a while. They were out front with a bonfire going and a half gallon plastic jug of McNaughtons whiskey. They had sold off a bunch of old cars and trucks a few years back. Mostly Model As. I knew they had an AA that never sold because they were asking too much. So, I pulled in driving my cummins powered '59 f350. Parked and told them how much I was using and enjoying the sawmill I had bought from them 3 years earlier and we visited and a few shots later asked about the AA. He said it's yours for a thousand bucks, go in the building and have a look at it. Has a paper sign in the window for 2500.00. Head is off, but complete, solid, unrestored and a script stakebed to boot. Has the heavy split rim wire wheels and the long running boards, but the rear fenders are missing. I have 2 old fenders that should fit and look almost factory. OK, this is a lot of teasing for a 'no picture' post. We're picking it up after lunch, and you know I will have my camera. I promise it will be a photo op. These folks are very colorful! I'm basically trembling from excitement. My firt old ford was a '28 AA I bought when I was 19, back in '72 Too much fun? Me?

Old 04-27-2014, 05:16 PM
19fifty4
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
OK, this is a lot of teasing for a 'no picture' post.
Yep, you know how to torture us, Looking forward to seeing those pics.

Old 04-27-2014, 05:35 PM
thompermenter
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds like ya done real good

Old 04-27-2014, 07:37 PM
rustyrelic
More Turbo
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
That's great! you deserve it. .... now I can't go to bed till I see pictures.

Old 04-27-2014, 07:49 PM
newold46
Fleet Mechanic
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
No one likes a show off! Nice job (again)

In other words, I'm jealous (again)

Old 04-27-2014, 08:05 PM
bernette
Cargo Master
Received 139 Likes on 100 Posts
i wish they were as much old stuff around here! can,t wait on pictures!!!

Old 04-27-2014, 11:35 PM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
Two buddies showed up to help load. Good thing because it was hard to maneuver outa the building. That's me standing with Buck the previous owner. The fenders I had for the rear look ok when they are held into position. It turns freely with the crank, there is ZERO ridge or wear on the cylinders. They were filled with a heavy oil which was more like grease and coating the cylinders. Valves look good and all go up and down. Buck gave me a full overhaul gasket set and said anything that was missing or didn't work, just come back and go through the boxes of carbs and distributors, starters, generators, water pumps etc and find the ones yoy want. Included in the price. There was also a sharpening machine for the band saw mill blades that he said I should have taken when I bought the mill. That will save us a lot of money. The head says 'speed head' on it and a date of 10/17/31. It is cast iron. Also the title says 1929, but it has the emergency brake handle on the far left, which I think is early '28. Long running boards, wire split rims and rear fenders say 'early '28 also. Havent checked the vin # for a match. Tomorrow after work I will go pick out some parts for it and get the spare tire and wheel I forgot to load. The rear tires are old, but quite good 700x20s and the fronts are new, never driven on Lucas 600x20s. If I get some good parts (there are tons) It could be a runner really soon. Super busy at work and I will persevere with my 47 build, so it's got an under cover space til then. I would like to get it running asap so it is alive. I don't like dead trucks in the way.

Attached Images         
Old 04-27-2014, 11:46 PM
rustyrelic
More Turbo
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Wow Gary, Very nice ... it's found a good home.

Thanks for the pictures, I can go to bed now! ZZZ

Old 04-28-2014, 05:59 AM
christurney77
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow... You just keep adding to the herd.... Nice addition!

Old 04-28-2014, 08:01 AM
Joe777
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Nice find Gary! You have to post a video when you fire it up for the first time.

Old 04-28-2014, 04:08 PM
newold46
Fleet Mechanic
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Ok, so NOW I'm jealous! Nice all the way around.

Old 04-28-2014, 05:00 PM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
Heading back to Buck's place to get a carb and distributor, 8 head studs, a pan drain plug, a generator and a belt and some plugs and the brass strips that were the plug wires. I climbed under it for the first time at lunch today and it has the Warford auxillary transmission mounted behind the original tranny. This was a dealer installed option with an under-drive and an over-drive. The block# was the vin # and this block is AA as the prefix so could be original. It is bored .040 over. This number dates truck as October 1928. My first AA in '72 was also October 28. How do I remember that? Because my mom is Oct '28 as well. Planning to visit her in Massachusetts at the end of June. Ok, I'll fill you in on what I come home with. Fuel tank looks super clean inside, dang this could be a fun couple of days.... But I need to be on a jobsite next couple of days. They say it could be 80 degrees here on Thursday. Ok, I'm off on a mission!

Old 04-28-2014, 07:44 PM
38 coupe
Cargo Master
Received 109 Likes on 57 Posts
Pictures of the Warford please! Does it look like this one: 1928 Ford Model AA Truck with Warford Transmission For Sale, or the underdrive (sometime called Dual-Hi) transmission like this one: Model AA Ford Accessory Planetary Transmission | eBay

I can't tell from the pictures, does it have a worm drive or bevel drive rear axle?

Old 04-28-2014, 11:39 PM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
It's the second one, with the rocker foot pedal. Was surprised to see it's a 3 speed trans like a car, but I guess that's how they were early on. Also, it's a worm gear rear axle. Not sure if it's the high or low option. The one I had as a kid went 26 mph flat out, then about 15 years ago I bought a '29 AA with the higher gear rear end option and I did 45 once, downhill. The fastest speed limit on Orcas Island is 40 mph, which has always made this daily driver heaven for old truck owners. Ok, the parts trip.... Got everything I went for except a fan belt. He gave me 2 distributors, two carbs (and I just found another here in a box of A parts) , a patch panel for a door bottom which I need badly, the old tire and wheel, but then spotted a nice one in the shed and two outer rings, all painted up, which he gave me. I also got a generator and a drain plug and a radiator badge, a new set of points 10 head studs which I pulled from some of the 8 or 10 blocks in a trailer. One block looked like a fresh shortblock so I asked about buying it and he said to keep my money because the place is for sale and the next owner will scrap it all. He loaded it in the '59 with his loader! This has been an exciting couple of months since Christmas. Gonna have to put the brakes on as I am now officially out of shed space. Not into vehicles left out in the weather and not into tarps. He put the small parts in an awful yellow plastic chainsaw case when I was looking for a rusty coffee can! Here's some pics. Edit.... They should call the underdrive a 'dual low'. So it's standard gearing and then a lower option when kicked down?

Attached Images       
Old 04-29-2014, 12:25 AM
Rusty_Old_F250
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
GB, I dunno what to say, except, MAN that's a nice truck!

Sam

Quick Reply: Yesterday's swap meet