Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Metal shavings in IPR valve

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2014, 05:19 PM
FiznUKa
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Metal shavings in IPR valve

Decide to rebuild my IPR valve today along with installing the FRx, HRx, and the passenger side fuel pipe. After removing the valve and disassembling I noticed metal shavings in solenoid portion of the valve they looked almost like aluminum in color. Where could the shavings be coming from the HPOP or somewhere else I have noticed the shavings on the last two oil changes. I changed the oil when I bought the truck and after the oil cooler o-rings I have put about 1500-2000 miles since I bought it. Please tell me its not the HPOP because I'm out of money after trying to keep up with you guys and all your mods I wish I had my 96' back never had these kind of problems.

Old 04-26-2014, 06:26 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Are the parts magnetic? How big are the shavings? How many shavings were in the oil changes? Why did you decide to rebuild your IPR? What kind symptoms are you having?

The good news is, it's probably not your HPOP. The bad news is, it's probably not your HPOP. Shavings in oil changes and stuck inside the IPR is bad. Perhaps you should tape some of those rare earth magnets around the filter, or stick them on the bottom of the pan to try and catch the shavings. Around the filter means you could remove just the filter and cut it open to see how much you have.....Assuming the shavings are magnetic.

Old 04-26-2014, 06:50 PM
Christof13T
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Keeping my fingers crossed that its lpop/front cover shavings and not a rod or main bearing.

Are the shavings uniform in color? Any hint of a tarnished brassy/copper color?

Old 04-26-2014, 06:57 PM
Pikachu
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
In addition to what the guys above said, it might not be a bad idea to send off an oil sample for analysis when you're ready to do your next change.

Old 04-26-2014, 07:06 PM
Christof13T
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Pikachu
In addition to what the guys above said, it might not be a bad idea to send off an oil sample for analysis when you're ready to do your next change.
You know...
I started to mention a blackstone analysis...
But with shavings this large, at this point its just about moot.
If one had been done prior to oilchange then maybe more could be determined. With the fresh oil, any residual hit on wear metals will be highly disproportionate from the "could have been" " failure" sample.

Still... not a bad idea. If something else is looming you just might catch it early enough.

Old 04-26-2014, 07:23 PM
Pikachu
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Well, my thought was that if it is a bearing flaking apart, it will probably keep coming apart and an analysis should tell something. But you're right, if it's not a bearing, and something else failed as a one-shot deal, it may not reveal much.

Old 04-26-2014, 07:32 PM
jeffreyt
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
I bet a black stone report would be beneficial. It should show elevated levels of whatever failed, even after the change.

Old 04-26-2014, 09:56 PM
FiznUKa
Posting Guru
The "shavings" were more of a very fine almost dust like in appearance and silver in color. I did not try to use a magnet in my haste of cleaning the valve. As for why I changed the o-rings I did it just to have piece of mind in knowing that the were new. I also changed the ICP sensor because it had oil coming out of the plug. I did the FRx and HRx because I had the "cackle" going on and wanted to see if it would help. How soon after the oil filter does the HPOP get its oil and what else is being fed at the same time hopefully I can maybe narrow it down from there. I will definitely put some magnets on the filter and pan. Who do I need to contact to order an oil analysis I would change my oil tomorrow if necessary. Also will my injectors now be full of s*&t.

Old 04-27-2014, 01:19 AM
Christof13T
Postmaster
The oil side is fairly forgiving, but debris could potentially score, or otherwise abrade the plunger/barrel assembly and shorten lifespan as any dirty oil would...

But it is isolated from the really tight tolerance stuff down in the fuel chamber.
Fresh oil once the problem is identified and rectified should pretty much wipe out any evidence of the grit.

If it turns out to be magnetic grit...
Do yourself a favor and pull the cps.. clean off the stuff thats caught on the magnet.

If the mystery flakes didnt come from the hpop or the lpop... that motor is coming out.
Plan ahead now. Be looking for a replacement.

Old 04-27-2014, 07:50 AM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by FiznUKa
.... Who do I need to contact to order an oil analysis
Blackstone Labs

Old 04-27-2014, 10:17 AM
FiznUKa
Posting Guru
Sample kit ordered. Here's hoping for the best

Old 05-15-2014, 10:00 PM
FiznUKa
Posting Guru
I have another question concerning the HPOP reservoir I see that the bottom gasket has a screen is that what feeds the HPOP? I order gaskets for the reservoir so I can clean it out. Is there anything I should know before removing. As far as the oil analysis goes I'm still trying to put on more miles before I drop the oil.

Old 05-16-2014, 07:01 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Suck the oil out of the reservoir before taking things apart. And the gasket with the screen is an o-ring type material and is re-usable most of the time. Just don't put the gasket from the early models in there as it can crack the front cover.

Old 05-16-2014, 08:52 PM
helifixer
Lead Driver
Received 3,657 Likes on 1,127 Posts
Originally Posted by F350-6
Are the parts magnetic? How big are the shavings? How many shavings were in the oil changes? Why did you decide to rebuild your IPR? What kind symptoms are you having?

The good news is, it's probably not your HPOP. The bad news is, it's probably not your HPOP. Shavings in oil changes and stuck inside the IPR is bad. Perhaps you should tape some of those rare earth magnets around the filter, or stick them on the bottom of the pan to try and catch the shavings. Around the filter means you could remove just the filter and cut it open to see how much you have.....Assuming the shavings are magnetic.
here is my solution Spin-On | FilterMag I bought mine when it was a small company, spent several hours talking with the owner. bough one for my truck to see how well they work and every filter I have cut open has had a lot of metal on it.

Old 05-24-2014, 07:14 PM
FiznUKa
Posting Guru
Update:

Got the oil analysis back and everything looked ok they said " iron was a little higher than average, though the other metals are where we expect them to be- no fuel/coolant contamination found" that is great news . I also changed the o-rings on the HPOP reservoir and didn't find much in the screen which is also good news. Now on to the next question I have removed my EBPV sensor and cleaned it three times now. First time of course it was clogged next two times it is wet but can't tell if it is diesel or coolant. What do you think? Is it a concern

Quick Reply: Metal shavings in IPR valve