1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wrong long box sent I am in trouble

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 03:40 PM
Henry Ferris
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wrong long box sent I am in trouble

I have a 99 superduty that I left a the local mechanic to get a reconditioned long block installed. He just called and said the remanufacturer sent a block with a different manifold and cam. He said it has a cam for a "High output" vs Low output engine like mine. He is looking to get a new "plastic manifold" is this correct and parts to make this work.
So here I am, not a knowlegable engine person wondering 2 things.
1 can he make this work
2 what parts should I expect him to tell me I need.
He says the remanufacturer sent the high out put because that's what people want. He says I will have a little more power but in fact reliability is what I am after.

I know what the reply about this mechanic will be. Lets say I have no choice.
I have a special situation as I live in the bush of Northern BC and I am stuck on my ranch until the truck is fixed. I am planning on hitching a ride will a logging truck when the motor is done. So here I am in the bush thinking will this high output long block work?
On top of this our phone lines are acting up and I can barely understand him. So I am asking for help in understanding what needs to be done to my engine. Thanks Henry:
I also posted this in the engine section as I need a quick answer

Old 04-24-2014, 04:18 PM
Mike189677
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
What motor is in your truck? The early trucks like your 99 had non pi heads and made less power than the later pi motors. I don't know wether there was a different cam or not between the to off the top of my head. Or if the rebuilder is putting a little hotter cam in their builds. The intake manifold is plastic and may be different between the pi and non pi head motors you may want to find out what kind of manifold he's getting the aftermarket doorman ones have been known to crack. You might want a motorcraft one

Old 04-24-2014, 05:15 PM
Rongold
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ENGINE

Tell him to contact his supplier and get the proper engine, otherwise you're going to wind up with a butcher job. I doubt that they sent the wrong one---He probably ordered the wrong one.

RON

Old 04-24-2014, 06:03 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
Originally Posted by Henry Ferris
So here I am, not a knowlegable engine person wondering 2 things.
1 can he make this work
2 what parts should I expect him to tell me I need.
More than likely just an intake manifold. The big difference between a long block and short block is that the long block comes with the heads installed. And the only difference between a PI(Performance Improved) and NPI engine is the heads and possibly cams. It's not an uncommon swap to put PI heads on an NPI engine to gain some power.

There's no reason in the world that this won't be every bit as reliable as when the truck left the factory. After all this is the exact same configuration that was sold from 2000-2004. You'll notice the extra power.

Originally Posted by Rongold
Tell him to contact his supplier and get the proper engine, otherwise you're going to wind up with a butcher job. I doubt that they sent the wrong one---He probably ordered the wrong one.
I completely disagree. A new intake manifold should be just about the only thing needed, and it's a factory engineered fit. NOT a butcher job.

Old 04-24-2014, 10:29 PM
Henry Ferris
New User
He is getting a new manifold in and is just not sure if he can use the old control modual.
Thanks guys

Old 04-27-2014, 08:10 AM
Henry Ferris
New User
Hi Guys thought I would give you the end of story as its always good to know what happened.
My mechanic absorbed the cost of the "Dorman manifold" and gave me the new long block set up for agreed price.
I had wanted durability and so this long block came with "thread inserts" to solve the sparkplug problem. He also used stainless exhaust manifold bolts.
The way I found out about this is he showed up Sat at my place with my truck and his family. He was sorry about the mixup but I said he came through and all is good. He brought the family because his father had taken care of my trucks for 40 years and had always heard about my place and thought the family would want to see it. I suspect his wife did not want to be left home on Sat. My wife fixed them lunch and after a tour of the water falls I drove them home [a 1and 1/2] hour drive.
So all ends well and the truck does have more juice.
Thanks for your help

Old 04-27-2014, 08:14 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
That's outstanding Henry, really glad to hear that he took care of you. Looks like he used a quality rebuilder if they put inserts in all the spark plug holes.

How does the truck drive? Do you notice the power increase? Should be another 25 HP with PI heads.

Old 04-27-2014, 12:28 PM
Kdr358
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I really hope he did not install a Dorman manifold. They have smaller air and coolant passages than the OEM units. They will crack within 6 months. I have seen personally on the 4.6L motors the dormans causing vacuum leaks, coolant leaks and reduced power. In a bind I put one on a 2000 F250 with a 5.4 and it lasted 3 months before cracking.

The gaskets that are molded in are also not quality. They are are a cheap rubber that will fail. Some of the manifolds don't even have them
Molded in! Personally I would avoid Dorman intakes. OEM or nothing.

Old 04-30-2014, 01:49 PM
retiredsparky
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If you are at all concerned about the aftermarket manifold, why don't you order a Ford manifold and gasket and change it yourself, now that you have a running truck. As long as you don't drop anything into the engine, it should run perfectly.