Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help for sliding window and bedliner

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 08:35 AM
roberte68
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help for sliding window and bedliner

Guys can you help me find a part for my rear sliding window, I would love to go salvage yard hunting but I no longer have a yard around me.

Truck is a 1990 F250, missing part is on the drivers side, part where the window latch mounts, As you can see it would be nice to keep the rain out as well.

Also, if anyone is around Central Kentucky has a Bedliner (8' bed) to fit this old girl I'm looking for that as well.

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 04-24-2014, 09:12 AM
Phil Woolfson
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You can buy a replacement latch online. The latch that came on the window was likely a metal piece with pin hinges, the replacement will be 1 piece soft plastic with a couple of parts to anchor it and screws. You might also check you local parts store.

Old 04-24-2014, 09:17 AM
roberte68
New User
Thanks for the reply, I'm aware of the latch, but I'm missing the part it attaches to

Already have latch waiting

Old 04-24-2014, 10:01 AM
RIKIL
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had the plastic, super secure latch on my 92 years ago and wanted to replace it. On eBay I found the type that is metal and is much more secure. I think they started using these on 94s and up???? Not sure, but I bought it and just had to thread a couple of holes for the screws as they didn't line up perfectly. That was years ago and it's been fine since then.

Do some searching on eBay, you might find something.

Old 04-24-2014, 10:47 AM
Crewcabber
Posting Guru
I know exactly what part you are talking about. My dad's 90 did the same thing the glue let go and you could slide it open when ever you wanted. Not a great solution but you can either get a couple small diameter pieces of dowel or window locks for your house to lock the back window for security until you find that piece

Old 04-24-2014, 11:04 AM
Phil Woolfson
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Oh, I see you're missing the frame on the slider. You could measure what you need and order it from one of those metal cut to size places. (it's aluminum, most places carry 6061) You may need to do a bit of trimming to fit. Spray it up, and attach with clear silicone. Mask to just outside of where it is going first.

Old 08-26-2014, 04:19 PM
RedFlare
New User
.................................................. ...........................................

Old 08-26-2014, 06:32 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
GOOD LUCK. You would be far better off getting a whole window since that piece that is missing is NOT a serviceable part

Old 08-26-2014, 06:38 PM
Evan_P
Cargo Master
Received 106 Likes on 86 Posts
Just out of curiosity, how does one go about removing the rear window. I want to swap out the sliding rear for a solid glass one but have no clue on how to change it...

Old 08-26-2014, 06:46 PM
RIKIL
Posting Guru
I realize this isn't exactly what was asked but I wanted to post this here JIC anyone finds this useful...

this thread got me thinking about securing my back window more. I know those window clips to hold it closed can be easily bypassed. So I made a metal bar with some tabs on the ends to slide into the guide just behind each of the windows. The intent here is to make the rear sliding window NOT the easiest entry point into the vehicle. If someone wants in, the'll be forced to breaking a window.

Attached Images  
Old 08-26-2014, 06:54 PM
danr1
Lead Driver
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Evan_P
Just out of curiosity, how does one go about removing the rear window. I want to swap out the sliding rear for a solid glass one but have no clue on how to change it...
Myself I use a stiff putty knife and or flatbar starting at bottom corner flipping the seals inner lip over and out and while holding steady pressure against the window frame. As the lip is flipped outward it gets easer and easer working across bottom to other side, once bottom corners are out it pretty much falls out no longer having any seal clamp force working for it to hold it as the top is not as wide as the bottom.

To install lay smallish diameter nylon cord into grove all the way around window plenty of tag end left over, have a person hold window over opening from outside. From the inside pull cord to flip seal over and into the cabs window opening, they need to work with you keep it centered applying pressure kinda following along with the rope.

Pretty easy to do two guys working together that had never done it before wouldn't need more than a second try.

Old 08-26-2014, 07:53 PM
Fastback460
Posting Guru
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Just curious, but why do you want to switch to solid glass rather then the slider?

Old 08-26-2014, 08:36 PM
Evan_P
Cargo Master
Received 106 Likes on 86 Posts
Never use the slider. On top of that it leaks where the two center sections meet. Plus I much prefer the look if the solid piece of glass.

Old 08-26-2014, 08:47 PM
Fastback460
Posting Guru
Never use the slider. On top of that it leaks where the two center sections meet. Plus I much prefer the look if the solid piece of glass.
I don't blame you if it leaks, and I guess If I had a super cab I probably wouldn't use it either But I love it in my reg. cab

Old 08-26-2014, 11:34 PM
Island Time
Laughing Gas

Danr1, I guess I need to rep more people before rep'ing you again. Thanks for posting that video. I've heard of doing that but had no idea how it done. They make it look so easy.

Quick Reply: Help for sliding window and bedliner