1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

2001 f150 supercrew tranny/transfercase removal?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 08:04 PM
unluckyfrank
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 2001 f150 supercrew tranny/transfercase removal?

Please Help? Hey guys, Frank here I haven't posted in quite a while. I sure have myself a problem; I need to change the flywheel on my automatic transmission it has at least a four inch crescent ground out of it and I already changed the starter and ALL the wires, Sounds simple enough I know.

I don't know if these problems are specific to a super crew but they sure seem to be....

I have removed the starter, and everything necessary, trans mount and cross brace. I've got the bell housing and torque convertor disconnected. I was hoping to get enough room to change the flex plate, all I can get is like two inches of space!

I tried separating the transfer case at the rear split but there is not enough room to disengage the spline from the tranny as the torsion bar cross brace is so close to the transfer case that I still can only get two inches of space!

when I tried to lower the tranny with transfer case bolted up it gets wedged between the old flex plate and the housing!!!

I even tried to take the torsion bars out to attempt to take out that cross brace, it is seriously rusted in place, I guess I'll have to work on this?

This has to be the most terrible design FORD has come up with yet!!!

Do I have to pull the CAB off??? I've been at this three days now and I'm tired... even broke my hand... I love this truck but it has finally beat me!!

Please any tricks or ideas would be very welcome?

My next move is going to be trying to separate the transfer case at the front split but I imagine without more than two inches of space that won't work either.

I am beyond frustrated with this!!!
Someone has to know a way to remove this thing?????

Last edited by unluckyfrank; 04-18-2014 at 10:09 AM. Reason: no response's
Old 04-26-2014, 07:31 PM
unluckyfrank
New User
See Ya!

I never posted much on this forum but I did try to help some people out a few times...

I can't believe that absolutely no one responded to my inquiry, I was seriously looking for help and possibly some ideas to help me out.

I guess you are all way to important to waste your time with a somewhat new user...

I always thought a forum was for people to help each other out!

Thanks for nothing!! I'm done with this site!!!

Old 04-26-2014, 08:49 PM
jyount
Senior User
Nice attitude to get help in the future. Maybe you aren't the only site noob, or maybe like me some havent even seen it. To answer your question yes the torsion key crossmember has to come out even if it is a rusted stuck thing, most are and most take repeated heat, oil, and big hammer useage. Yes the design sucks, but it is common not only to Fords, but most vehicles with a torsion set up. If they were loose most would gripe cause they clanked, too tight most others would gripe about working on it, so catch 22 and honestly this is a dilemma that I do sympathize with the engineers on...