1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

2nd Gen Compressor Wheel (don't know what to think)

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 03:28 PM
bakerbuilttracks
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Richard and Rich Yep as soon as i posted i looked it up and thats what i found too !!! WHEEEEW so any info on adding the resistor ? A write up or how to parts etc ? and could this be done with the p0475 code too ?

I feel as were off topic discussing boost and codes etc lol !!!!! I'm not worried though.

KEN.... I too am running 4" turbo back straight piped exhaust but with a 6" tip. The 6637 seems to me like it would be louder since the filter just sits in the engine bay. Mine is in a sealed box but draws air from the fender well and the grill where the zoodad mod is located similar to stk.
When you say you got yours up in the 20's yesterday on your run describe a run. Is that WOT ? or just a really heavy foot.
As far as the noise its not bad the higher the bst level. It seems to be the loudest between 2 and 4 psi. If you want to know what noise I'm referring to try this ...........
Go out and close the passenger side air vent to the right of the air bag by the window completely. Open the other 3 vents and turn the A/C to MAX A/C and turn the fan all the way up. The whistling noise from the closed vent in the cab sounds very very similar to what my new wheel sounds like now around 2 to 4 psi.
Reason i know this is my wife always closes that vent and when i get in and fire up the a/c on a hot day that noise drives me nuts and i just can't lean over and open the vent LOL but thats the best i can describe the sound.

Old 04-18-2014, 04:18 PM
Pikachu
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by bakerbuilttracks
Go out and close the passenger side air vent to the right of the air bag by the window completely. Open the other 3 vents and turn the A/C to MAX A/C and turn the fan all the way up. The whistling noise from the closed vent in the cab sounds very very similar to what my new wheel sounds like now around 2 to 4 psi.
OMG. I thought that air vent noise was unique to my truck! It really IS annoying, to the point that I actually stopped the truck to walk around and open the stupid thing.

Old 04-18-2014, 07:06 PM
Boss73
Senior User
Ok! I am sitting in my truck and just did your test. I am not helping very much, cause mine did not whistle, it just sounds like air blowing! Heck, maybe my hearing is going! I have driven my truck a lot with the new wheel and it is not annoying at all. I have driven over the pass and held it at all different boost levels. Mine is loudest when I am about 15psi and up, that is why I thought it might be loud when towing over the pass. Does yours bother you when you are towing or even when empty just cruising? I have never posted a video, not even quite sure how to! If I get in touch with Woodnthings next week I will see if he will post a video! I usually do my boost runs on a hill by my house, not wide open throttle, just a heavy foot usually. I start at the bottom at about 30mph and roll into it until I have to shift or get close to 3k rpm and let off.

Old 04-18-2014, 08:00 PM
BigAlsPSD
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is your noise loud under the hood, like at the turbo or out the exhaust?

I took some quick phone videos for comparison's sake if nothing else.

Apologies for the first video's radio, I didn't realize it was that loud but I guess the mic picked it up well.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/ewzeIPw9hUY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/8651-n_iufs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/cToaXl1RGV8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Old 04-20-2014, 10:25 PM
bakerbuilttracks
Elder User
Originally Posted by Boss73
Ok! I am sitting in my truck and just did your test. I am not helping very much, cause mine did not whistle, it just sounds like air blowing! Heck, maybe my hearing is going! I have driven my truck a lot with the new wheel and it is not annoying at all. I have driven over the pass and held it at all different boost levels. Mine is loudest when I am about 15psi and up, that is why I thought it might be loud when towing over the pass. Does yours bother you when you are towing or even when empty just cruising? I have never posted a video, not even quite sure how to! If I get in touch with Woodnthings next week I will see if he will post a video! I usually do my boost runs on a hill by my house, not wide open throttle, just a heavy foot usually. I start at the bottom at about 30mph and roll into it until I have to shift or get close to 3k rpm and let off.
Its loud for sure but not as bad as i guess i was making it out to be. Ive got about 200mi on it now. About 80 HWY and the rest in town or at 35 to 50mph. I guess its just a new sound that i will have to grow on me. Now that I've driven it a bit its not as bad as i thought but is still way louder than the original WW i had.
My tests normally are comparable to yours. Not WOT as i can't push my self to do that but its normally a really heavy foot. Now i feel the turbo is fully broke in from the rebuild I've gotten back to a more normal style driving and it appears I'm about the same as boost levels go. I like you have no idea how to post pics more less a video and would love to learn how lol

Old 04-20-2014, 10:29 PM
bakerbuilttracks
Elder User
Big Al.... Thanks for the vids !!! sometimes they don't do justice but mine sounds very very similar. The bulk of the sound has to be coming through the filter. Im almost positive I'm not hearing anything from a leaky boot or exhaust leak or at the tail pipe.

Old 04-21-2014, 02:17 AM
BigAlsPSD
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mine is no where near as loud as the Early wheel aka "WW". It does have it's own tone, and lower pitched, but compared to spinning the early wheel vs the 6/6 in the upper 20's low 30's boost levels there is no "ear-piercing" level. But everyone deals with frequencies and pitches differently too.

Old 04-21-2014, 11:14 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bakerbuilttracks
Richard and Rich Yep as soon as i posted i looked it up and thats what i found too !!! WHEEEEW so any info on adding the resistor ? A write up or how to parts etc ? and could this be done with the p0475 code too ?
DFuser sells code eliminators....they make for a nice clean setup.

dfuser.#P0541 code eliminator

dfuser.com #EBVT code eliminator

or you can do it yourself with some resistors from radio shack for a few bucks $....

Here are links to a AIH & EBPV code eliminator threads......

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-delete-2.html

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-solenoid.html

Old 04-25-2014, 12:44 PM
ralleyclimber
Senior User
To cut down on the sound would a turbo blanket help? Just on the cold side. I just heard about them last night and haven't done much research on them. Thought someone here would know about them.

Old 04-25-2014, 12:46 PM
ralleyclimber
Senior User
I did the zoodad mod and that seamed to help with my wicked wheel. I too am looking on how to quiet it down. Its not too bad, but it is just the right pitch that is driving me nuts. Other than that I love the wheel.

Old 04-28-2014, 05:52 PM
V-22 Osprey
Mountain Pass
Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts
I've read a few posts saying the Bellowed up-pipes have an effect on the exhaust sound. Nothing big but a change that might need some getting used too. Maybe you have a couple things contributing to the mix? I have the new wheel and did the UPs at the same time too. But it was right after getting the truck and I never really drove it before the work. I've put 800 miles since getting it back on the road. I really can't hear anything from the turbo till its really under a load. ..new gauges still setting on the bench. I still have the stock air box and filter, not sure if that has much effect. I plan to pick up the Ford AIS in hopes its not much louder than stock.

Old 04-28-2014, 05:57 PM
Pikachu
Post Fiend
I didn't notice any change, but it might be getting drowned out by the injector knock, lol.

Old 04-28-2014, 09:06 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The Ford AIS isn't any louder than stock - unless you drill the 3" hole in the side to allow for more air after adding a chip or injector upgrades, and even after that it isn't much of a difference at all. I really like the AIS. I still switch back & forth between that and the 6637 on my F-250.

Old 04-28-2014, 09:25 PM
Firefighter 1406
Lead Driver

Received 85 Likes on 58 Posts
So other then the sound of the wheel. Is the power/increased boost performance worth the money? I love the way a wicked wheel sounds and am not quite sure I want the different sound as weird as that sounds.