4.2L engine mods for more power less fuel!

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2003, 07:04 AM
Busa01
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are many different oppinions about the Flowmasters. My oppinion is I think they sound great! Mind you though, it is a V6 so your going to get a "V6" sound. Definetely a nice deep rumble driving around town, but full throttle and high RPM's will reveal that higher piched V6 sound.

Flowmaster has been one of the most popular and respected muffler manufacturers for many many years so you can't really go wrong. The only thing I would of done different, was to NOT get the Delta Flow series and just the straight up 40 series because it would have been a little louder. It's still pretty loud though, but louder is always better.

Don't get the model made for SUV's because the canister is freakin huge and heavy. They claim they make it this way to keep the noise levels down in the cab. I guess that's good if you have little kids or something. Just get the regular 40 series and you'll definetely be happy.

Tom

Old 09-10-2003, 07:20 AM
true4.2
Postmaster

"sigh" It'll be a while before I get an exhaust. *I'm married* I'm gonna have to do some butterin' up and saving. I have to admit, I can't stand the truck being so quiet. Anyways, thanks for the info again.

Old 09-10-2003, 07:30 AM
Busa01
Postmaster

Well, the muffler was less than 100.00. It's the installation that's expensive. Especially if you want dual's out the back with stainless tips.

Hey, buy the way, I sent that junk jet chip back to Jegs. I think I'm going to skip the entire chip thing and go straight to the engine internals. Cam's/lifter/roller rockers. I took the Jet off and didnt even notice a difference. Aren't you running a Helix Power Tower?? Does that do anything?

Tom

Old 09-11-2003, 09:22 AM
true4.2
Postmaster

Not sure what Helix Power Tower is.

Old 09-11-2003, 09:44 AM
Busa01
Postmaster

true4.2

Ah, it doesn't matter. I've already come to the definate conclusion that it's all Bull _ _ _ t ! Any bolt on part for your vehicle does nothing for the money it costs. All this MSD Ignition stuff, plugs and wires, computer chips, power towers, vortex air inductions....all their horsepower advertisement are exagerations, and everything is sooooo expensive. 2 or 3 exra horses for 3 or 4 hundred bucks. Your better off dropping in a supercharger for 2500.00 and getting it over with. This is something I'm currently looking into. I'm tired of piddling around trying to squeeze a horsepower hear or there for big bucks just to come away dissapointed and returning the product.

If I go supercharger, I'm guaranteed at least 100 extra horsepower, and that's worth 2500.00, not to mention the torque. I simply won't buy anything else for my motor except that. I'm not wasting any more money. I figure, my truck is pushing probably 210 or 215 with the pipe and K&N and that's all I'm going to get out of it without slappin on a supercharger or turbo.

Other than those two items, it's staying as it is. Sorry for the bluntness, but i'm a little fed up with all this gimmik C_ _p these manufactures claim just to sell their product. I'm not wasting any more money.

Tom

Old 09-11-2003, 09:50 AM
Busa01
Postmaster

Oh yeah and another thing. Everyones always bragging about this Diablo chip and how it will give you tremendous horsepower and torque gains....ha, another falicy. ALL CHIPS ARE BULL!!! My brother pulls low 14's in the quarter with his 5.9 RT Durrango with NO chip, he did all internal work, like the good ol' days. He purchased this Diablo tuner for big bucks and it only dropped him 1/2 of a tenth in the quarter. Very very very very very very small teeny weeny bang for the buck, plus now he is forced to run 93 in it all the time. Again, take all the chips and the companies that manufacture them and set fire to them. It will save alot of people money, time and aggrivation.

You guys can all disagree with me, but your wrong and I'm right.

Sorry for the rant, i'm just tired of all the lies.

Thanks,

Tom

I'll keep you updated on the supercharger status, then we'll see what kind of power my truck can really put out.

Old 09-12-2003, 08:12 AM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by tomlongo
He purchased this Diablo tuner for big bucks and it only dropped him 1/2 of a tenth in the quarter. Very very very very very very small teeny weeny bang for the buck, plus now he is forced to run 93 in it all the time.
Its obvious you've been on an anti-chip rant or days and I don't know the reason why. I do know, however, that Diablo has never made a tuner for Dodges.

Old 09-12-2003, 08:27 AM
Busa01
Postmaster

Ken,

I've been a little upset with all the false advertising I've been running into lately. All these products make these rediculous horsepower claims, yet when I purchase them, they do nothing and I have to spend my hard earned money to send them back. Our friends here need to know that they can't believe everything you read. There is no cheap miricle device that will transform your slow truck into a red racer, but the false advertising companies would like you to think that their product will. I'm not completely sure my brothers was a diablo, it may have been a superchips tuner. Before all these computers and plastic hot air sucking intakes and gimmicks, we used to have to power up our 1972 Nova's the old fashioned way. And we knew that every greasy messy day we spent wrenching on our vehicles in the hot sun, that we were definetely going to go faster when we were done. These are the true and absolute ways to make performance gains, not blowing 350.00 for something that's advertised to bolt on in less than 30 minutes......this is stupid.

Take for example Flowmaster. They claim horsepower and torque gains up to 30. Now you and I both know that installing a flowmaster will kill your bottom end and horsepower. It's an excessive exhageration of the truth. They say you gain, when you actually lose.

I'm just sick of it. Some one needs to tell these people the truth so that they don't throw their money down the toilet.

Tom

Old 09-12-2003, 09:33 AM
true4.2
Postmaster

I agree that performance parts are far overrated, but not to that extreme. For the money you pay, you definately lack in hp. That really sux! You pretty much never get the bang for your buck these days. But hey! Go with the supercharger! That would definately up your oomph! Or you could try NOS for about $2000 dollars cheaper. But I'm not a big fan of NOS, so oh well.

Old 09-12-2003, 09:36 AM
Busa01
Postmaster

I'll let you know about the NOS. My brother just finished installing a brand new kit in his Durrango. I know it will make him faster at the track, but i'm worried about shortening the life of your motor. Plus, you can't go around town using your nitrous at every light and for towing, it's really only good for dragging. Personally, I think it'll kill his motor...but we'll see. I'm going out to the track with him tonight to see how he does.

Tom

Old 09-12-2003, 12:20 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend

Here's the problem with horsepower ratings in the Ford world....

Ford has dozens of computer codes for different engine/vehicle combinations. They all operate a little differently. So a dyno test with product X using ECU code ABC on a 4.6L V8 will not give the same results as product X using ECU code XYZ on a 4.6L V8. Some people see better (not common), some less. Aftermarket HP tests, just like the vehicles manufacturer, are done under ideal air temperature, humidity and barametric conditions. Most people don't drive every day in ideal conditions.

One way or another you pay. For example, in 2000 a Ranger with a 160HP 4.0L V6 cost about $685 more than a 150HP 3.0L V6.

Things are a little better in 2004. For the about same difference in cost you move from a 154 hp 3.0L V6 to a 207 hp 4.0L V6.

Old 09-12-2003, 12:52 PM
Busa01
Postmaster

Yes but Ken is supposed to call me to hook me up with that Diablo chip. Or did you forget me Ken : ) ?

Tom

Old 09-12-2003, 01:06 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend

Didn't forget. It just turned 2:00 and UPS just came by. I try to get as much finished as possible before UPS does their pickup. I'll call now.

Old 09-12-2003, 01:08 PM
Busa01
Postmaster

My extension is 17 in case I forgot to give it to you.

Old 09-12-2003, 02:38 PM
true4.2
Postmaster

Tom:

Yea, that's why I don't like it.

Quick Reply: 4.2L engine mods for more power less fuel!