6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Head gaskets for the 6.0

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 01:09 PM
Rocky RaetzIDI
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Head gaskets for the 6.0

Ok guys lots of info and ive read and read and read but still am not sure what gaskets to get . Of course im going to install ARP studs
the gaskets i know of and are interested in are as fallows
*OEM ford gaskets (only issue for me is its the same one i just pulled out (blown)
*VR black onix .. read lots bad with these
* Chrometic MLX no input on these (but seem to be nice gaskets )
*Fel-pro (i handed the set back when it looked like an exhaust gasket, and weighted nuthing ) anyone running the Chrometics? the NASCAR guys seem to like um and , they have long ties in high pro racing

Old 04-14-2014, 01:20 PM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 68 Likes on 42 Posts
The Cometic's are too new to know anything about and I've heard no input. I only recommend OEM, just make sure your heads are done by a competent shop and the finish is RIGHT (smooth and FLAT). This isn't somewhere you want to cut corners.

Old 04-14-2014, 01:29 PM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
Did you original gasket itself fail in some way? Or did you damage a TTY bolt and then engine compression blew out where the gasket wasn't properly supported between the head and block?

Old 04-14-2014, 02:19 PM
Rocky RaetzIDI
Senior User
240,000 unknown miles it failed coolant leaked into CC and oil into rad big mess im doing the Rebuild putting the short bock together this week and heads next so im just looking and doing my homework on heads so ill know

Old 04-14-2014, 02:36 PM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
So the OEM gaskets lasted 240k and failed as part of a larger multi-system failure. That sounds like an advertisement for success to me, I'd put them back in in a heartbeat. Sounds like the oil cooler broke loose and trashed the cooling system, not a failure of the head gaskets themselves.

Old 04-14-2014, 05:48 PM
KIDkiser
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I believe I would make sure the head gaskets were blown first! Like said before it sounds like the oil cooler went south.

Old 04-14-2014, 08:05 PM
Rocky RaetzIDI
Senior User
head gaskets where bad ! fire rings burned right throu ! the blue coating was mushy/greesey , the oil cooler was in perfect shape,cut it in half it was plugged , ive already torn this thing down to a bear block and starting new i dont like not knowing my motor , i just wanted a poll on whos used what gaskets and maybe mileage you reached before failure I know every inch of my motor now (blueprinted myself) and will do my own version of a egr delete, and an acc oil cooler that i control flow with as well as a new oil cooler and coolent filter i just wanna make sure im making the right choice the first time be a shame to brag about it and have a issue with a crappy gasket

Old 04-14-2014, 08:13 PM
KIDkiser
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
So the heads and gaskets have been changed at sometime or another if the heads have fire rings installed.

Old 04-14-2014, 08:44 PM
Rocky RaetzIDI
Senior User
i fear this is a reman motor that's why im going thou it and guess what it looks like a 10k motor inside so yes someone has been in this motor and what really scared me is the bolts where almost over tight as if done with impact either way im going thou a complete rebuild with proper parts ! I know what im doing and the fire ring im speaking of is the area on the MLS gasket that surrounds the CC there was heat and gunk making it so it was not sealed ! ive check the block and the block is flat ! the heads are at a shop thats done many 6.0 heads getting bronze guides,and hardened seats, and a less than .0008 off the heads for flatness then pressure checked and ill re install them
i just want to put the right head gasket back in also ill be doing the 6.4 pushrods

Old 04-14-2014, 10:59 PM
Splash67
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Rocky RaetzIDI
i fear this is a reman motor that's why im going thou it and guess what it looks like a 10k motor inside so yes someone has been in this motor and what really scared me is the bolts where almost over tight as if done with impact either way im going thou a complete rebuild with proper parts ! I know what im doing and the fire ring im speaking of is the area on the MLS gasket that surrounds the CC there was heat and gunk making it so it was not sealed ! ive check the block and the block is flat ! the heads are at a shop thats done many 6.0 heads getting bronze guides,and hardened seats, and a less than .0008 off the heads for flatness then pressure checked and ill re install them
i just want to put the right head gasket back in also ill be doing the 6.4 pushrods
Here's the deal...the overwhelming majority of FTE members seems to like the OEM hg, oil filters, fuel filter, air filters...

Are they correct? Are they incorrect? I don't know, all I know is the OEM stuff is what failed in the first place.

So for me...I'm replacing all failed parts of mine with the highest quality AM parts I can get my hands on. I've even called multiple engine builders that have built 100s of high horse power 6.0l application engines and talked with them.

That said...I just purchased a set of Black Diamond head gaskets that are going in my 6.0 this week. They have same stamped p/n and design as the OEM the only difference I can find is the color of the "rubber" material...black vs blue.

I guess I'll let everyone know later if I made a mistake or if everything is good to go...

Old 04-15-2014, 07:10 AM
Rocky RaetzIDI
Senior User
Originally Posted by Splash67
Here's the deal...the overwhelming majority of FTE members seems to like the OEM hg, oil filters, fuel filter, air filters...

Are they correct? Are they incorrect? I don't know, all I know is the OEM stuff is what failed in the first place.

So for me...I'm replacing all failed parts of mine with the highest quality AM parts I can get my hands on. I've even called multiple engine builders that have built 100s of high horse power 6.0l application engines and talked with them.

That said...I just purchased a set of Black Diamond head gaskets that are going in my 6.0 this week. They have same stamped p/n and design as the OEM the only difference I can find is the color of the "rubber" material...black vs blue.

I guess I'll let everyone know later if I made a mistake or if everything is good to go...
Thank you , that said i think ill try these chrometic gaskets and do the same ill even do i vid of unboxing the set and looking at them and ill also keep everyone posted as to how i like it and how it works thanks again guys , this motors not as scary as i was lead to believe

Old 04-15-2014, 07:12 AM
Rocky RaetzIDI
Senior User
oh ya BTW the coating that u speak of is Viton rubber

Old 04-15-2014, 03:45 PM
JKTex
Junior User
Originally Posted by Splash67

Of all those items, none are parts that fail. HG's blow because of the bolts/heads lifting.

Old 04-15-2014, 04:00 PM
Rocky RaetzIDI
Senior User
Originally Posted by JKTex
Of all those items, none are parts that fail. HG's blow because of the bolts/heads lifting.
I believe what he was saying is everyone's first any only response is put OEM back in , but ive built alota motors gas small blocks ,gas big block,diesel both small and big and when they had something fail that was OEM u did not put it back in. I get the filters being OEM but im not putting a HG on that I just took off , and as a Bonus today I got to hold a MLX Chrometic gasket for a 6.0 only 3 layers not 5 and there was 2 stainless layers (outer ) and one aluminum one(inside about as thick as 3 stainless ) ... stainless dont give much its actually pretty hard stuff so i never got why they had 5 layers of it with viton between the layers .... chrometic is also covered in the viton where as the VR,OEM ones just have a little bit around the important stuff .... Ill be the guy that dont put OEM back in and do the unthinkable and get something NEW lol thanks for everyone's input

Old 04-15-2014, 04:11 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocky RaetzIDI
I believe what he was saying is everyone's first any only response is put OEM back in , but ive built alota motors gas small blocks ,gas big block,diesel both small and big and when they had something fail that was OEM u did not put it back in. I get the filters being OEM but im not putting a HG on that I just took off , and as a Bonus today I got to hold a MLX Chrometic gasket for a 6.0 only 3 layers not 5 and there was 2 stainless layers (outer ) and one aluminum one(inside about as thick as 3 stainless ) ... stainless dont give much its actually pretty hard stuff so i never got why they had 5 layers of it with viton between the layers .... chrometic is also covered in the viton where as the VR,OEM ones just have a little bit around the important stuff .... Ill be the guy that dont put OEM back in and do the unthinkable and get something NEW lol thanks for everyone's input
Let me know when (not if)those headgaskets let go.

Quick Reply: Head gaskets for the 6.0