Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dana 60 ball joints tight

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2014, 07:58 PM
andrewrj
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dana 60 ball joints tight

I have just installed new ball joint on a Dana 60 I picked up to do a swap with. I want to start by saying I started with the proper torque procedure, 30 lower, 70 upper, 150 lower. My lower ball joints are working properly and feel good. The upper ball joint is stiff on both sides. When I turn the knuckle the nut stays put and the whole ball joint shaft spins. If I put a cotter pin in it just snaps it. If I loosen the top nut the spindle is free and turns fine but the ball joint shaft still turns with the knuckle. Anyone have any suggestions? The caster/camber bushings are original and did not move when I took the knuckle off.

Old 04-10-2014, 08:50 PM
danr1
Lead Driver
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
First thought comes to mind, you where given incorrect ball joints.

Post tapper not right and or incorrect diameter, too small allowing it it to run out of threads and trying to pull the ball from its socket in the process, reason it gets stiff to turn knuckle when you attempt to tighten them.

You're gonna have to pull them back off and verify they are correct for the axle. Measure diameter top and bottom of taper for the ball joint then same for its corresponding hole top of the axle. Measure its lower and upper diameters and how far apart they are (how "thick" it is, gotta know that to know its taper) compare those measurements with the post on the ball joint. Should become readily apparent what the problem is by doing so and what to check when at the parts store, verify they are giving you the correct part moving forward.

Old 04-10-2014, 08:54 PM
andrewrj
Freshman User
Ill have to check that out tomorrow. I was planning on pulling the knuckles back off and visually giving everything the once over. I didnt have any problem pressing them in. And I can take a screw driver and spin the ball joint with the nut loose.

Old 04-10-2014, 09:02 PM
danr1
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by andrewrj
Ill have to check that out tomorrow. I was planning on pulling the knuckles back off and visually giving everything the once over. I didnt have any problem pressing them in. And I can take a screw driver and spin the ball joint with the nut loose.

Yea no way you'd be able to do that if those uppers where the correct ball joint.

Old 04-10-2014, 09:06 PM
andrewrj
Freshman User
The part number is right anyway. I ordered them off of rock auto and just cross referenced them with other sites.

Old 04-10-2014, 09:45 PM
danr1
Lead Driver
Did you compare old to new? Probably not yet, no real reason to at least till now.

You bought this axle for a swap correct? are you positive of the model/year its out of? Any chance that information isn't right?

Possible the ball joints are correct maybe mismatch all in the bushings, any sign suggest they'd been reamed out little bit by some bone head? again probably not yet wouldn't have had any reason till this point to look that close.

Old 04-10-2014, 09:57 PM
eakermeld
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 04-11-2014, 05:12 PM
andrewrj
Freshman User
Ok. Got the knuckle back off. The ball joint spun with the impact and now I can easily spin it by hand so I hope I did not ruin it. But the old ball joint looks identical to the new one. And as far as the axle goes I got it out of a 93 f350 and I'm positive it was stock.

Old 04-11-2014, 07:15 PM
danr1
Lead Driver
Did you compare the lower ball joints old and new?

Fact you spun it with a impact isn't such a big deal no, not just spinning in place. However based on what you said I'd be more concern with the fact sounds like act of tightening it was attempting to pull the ball out of the top of its socket doing so.

Hurt it? hard to say at this point.

Did you look the adjustment bushings over good? no signs someone hacked at em?

Got something screwed up there that's fore sure.

Its possible the lower isn't correct question is what did they give you, the D50 for example uses the same ball joints, I mean the guy at the parts counter he'd have to work at it to get it wrong I'd think.

What are the part numbers and where did you buy them?

Old 04-11-2014, 07:20 PM
andrewrj
Freshman User
Got the ball joints from rock auto. They are mk8607t and mk80026. I checked the bushings and don't see anything wrong there. I just pulled the differential and replaced axle seals and buckled that all up. Now these are holding me up. I've change a lot of ball joints and never have seen anything like this. Id hate to go buy more ball joints only to have the same problem again. Btw, I installed that knuckle again and it's still doing the same thing.

Old 04-11-2014, 07:54 PM
danr1
Lead Driver
Alternate numbers given = "Moog" and yea they are for a 93 F350 D60.

Same problem and equally for both sides correct?

Old 04-11-2014, 08:00 PM
andrewrj
Freshman User
Yep. Both sides are doing the same thing. The uppers were completely shot when I got it though. Had 153k on what I assume were the originals and I'm pretty sure it had a snow plow most of its life. I'm wondering if the bushings didn't get ruined from the old ball joints allowing these new ones to go in too far.

Old 04-11-2014, 08:31 PM
danr1
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by andrewrj
Yep. Both sides are doing the same thing. The uppers were completely shot when I got it though. Had 153k on what I assume were the originals and I'm pretty sure it had a snow plow most of its life. I'm wondering if the bushings didn't get ruined from the old ball joints allowing these new ones to go in too far.
You could try replacing them first verifying they are fully seated.

How did you remove them how'd you go about it that, removing the knuckles from the axle?

Doubt it even if went at it with a very large hammer for example....large press didn't properly support knuckle?... any chance you distorted the knuckles in the process? closed the "C" down little bit, bent top boss down pushing lower out via the top ball joint?

Old 04-11-2014, 08:35 PM
andrewrj
Freshman User
I doubt I damaged the knuckle. I used a ball joint press to take them in and out. Only time I used the hammer was to tap the press from time to time.

Old 04-11-2014, 09:09 PM
danr1
Lead Driver
I doubt it too.

How far does the old stud go up into the hole, how far does the new part?

Federal-Mogul Resource Center

Quick Reply: Dana 60 ball joints tight