2010 F150 Platinum Moonroof Issue - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 2009 - 2014 F150
Reload this Page >

2010 F150 Platinum Moonroof Issue

Notices
2009 - 2014 F150 Discuss the 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford F150

Old 04-08-2014, 09:59 PM
RTrac1
New User
RTrac1 is starting off with a positive reputation.

Driving to work this morning in Southeast Texas and it was beautiful.... in my 2010 F150 Platinum with 58,0078 miles and reach up to open my "moon roof" and I hear a "pop". Pull over and get it to open/close though it will not fully close/seal. Give the local dealership a call and they said to run it by and they will take a look.....about 25 minutes later they tell me sorry though it looks like a $2000.00 plus "repair"....they were accommodating though needless to say I mentioned there was no way I'm paying $2,000 for a "moon roof" on a "luxury" vehicle with less than 60,000 miles. Have emailed Ford though no response. Have seen the Sunroof Doctor Repair kit though cannot imagine Ford not stepping up in some way to assist. Any suggestions / direction would be appreciated. Looking at upgrading my wife's Honda Pilot to a King Ranch Expedition though now I am putting on the brakes....so far the only response I have been given is from the dealer and they pretty much said "sorry, that is too bad".......

Old 04-08-2014, 11:26 PM
KJ Smith
Elder User
KJ Smith has a very good reputation on FTE.KJ Smith has a very good reputation on FTE.KJ Smith has a very good reputation on FTE.KJ Smith has a very good reputation on FTE.
Give the Ford customer service folks a call.

I am sure they will be by in the morning with the #.

What dealer are you using?

Edit:

Here ya go

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordTrucks @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordTrucks facebook.com/Ford

Old 04-09-2014, 06:37 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
tseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputation
To the OP, welcome to FTE!

Sorry to read of your moon roof issues. It's no doubt a fluke. I'll assume that you didn't purchase an extended service plan (ESP) that would extend your bumper to bumper coverage. If not, Ford isn't obligated to help you though it would be nice to see them step up. Trust me, it would make us all feel better.

I would make the call and possibly Crystal will chime in and offer some assistance.

Let us know how it goes and remember, this could have happened on any make or model. The difference being, which manufacturer would actually step up and at least offer to pay some of the bill.

Old 04-09-2014, 10:13 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
FordService has much to be proud ofFordService has much to be proud ofFordService has much to be proud ofFordService has much to be proud ofFordService has much to be proud ofFordService has much to be proud ofFordService has much to be proud ofFordService has much to be proud ofFordService has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by RTrac1 View Post
Driving to work this morning in Southeast Texas and it was beautiful.... in my 2010 F150 Platinum with 58,0078 miles and reach up to open my "moon roof" and I hear a "pop". Pull over and get it to open/close though it will not fully close/seal...
Hi RTrac1,

As others have suggested, I'll be happy to look into this to see how I can help. Send me a private message (PM) with your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership; I'll see what I can do to assist.

Crystal

Old 04-09-2014, 12:24 PM
RTrac1
New User
Appreciate y'alls replies.....going to see what we can do as it looks like Crystal will give it a shot (Thanks). Love my truck and it has been great though cannot imagine spending $2,018.87 for a malfunctioning component.....if we can even get to seal I'll pull the fuse and disable the moon roof. Understand the vehicle is out of warranty and do not expect anything more than consideration from Ford in helping to resolve the issue. Thanks you guys!

Old 04-09-2014, 12:54 PM
RTrac1
New User
Hello Crystal....certainly appreciate your offer though I do not have enough "posts" to PM. At your convenience, can you please PM me an address that I can provide you with the related information? Thanks, Rick

Old 04-09-2014, 04:37 PM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
FordService has much to be proud ofFordService has much to be proud ofFordService has much to be proud ofFordService has much to be proud ofFordService has much to be proud ofFordService has much to be proud ofFordService has much to be proud ofFordService has much to be proud ofFordService has much to be proud of
Hello Crystal....certainly appreciate your offer though I do not have enough "posts" to PM. At your convenience, can you please PM me an address that I can provide you with the related information? Thanks, Rick
Hey Rick,

Since you can't PM yet, I recommend giving our Customer Relationship Center a call at 1-800-392-3673; they can provide the same assistance that I can.

Crystal

Old 04-17-2014, 10:14 PM
RTrac1
New User
Quick follow up to my "moonroof" problem....most importantly, thank you guys for the direction as it was appreciated. Debated buying the frame assembly kit on-line and repair myself though was really concerned with the hours involved with dropping the headliner/interior. Found a business in Houston that guaranteed the repair for $1,213 less than dealer quoted and jumped on it.....very happy with repair and all is well. Still troubled with the "moonroof" failure as the company that fixed mine confirmed that it is a very common problem and they see this failure regularly. Again, thank you all for the feedback and have a Happy Easter!!!!

Old 04-17-2014, 10:24 PM
KJ Smith
Elder User
KJ Smith has a very good reputation on FTE.KJ Smith has a very good reputation on FTE.KJ Smith has a very good reputation on FTE.KJ Smith has a very good reputation on FTE.
Found a business in Houston that guaranteed the repair for $1,213 less than dealer quoted and jumped on it.....very happy with repair and all is well.
Would you mind sharing their name.... might be handy at some point.

Old 04-17-2014, 10:33 PM
RTrac1
New User
These guys really took care of me with the highest level of customer service and integrity......very satisfied. Auto Sunroof Repair Houston - Auto Sunroof Repair Sunroof Replacement

Old 04-19-2014, 01:04 PM
Pool Runner
Elder User
Pool Runner has a very good reputation on FTE.Pool Runner has a very good reputation on FTE.Pool Runner has a very good reputation on FTE.
I don't know if this helps, but I learned of this sunroof problem AFTER purchasing my '13 FX4.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the truck dearly, but would have not got one with a sunroof if I could go back in time, knowing the potential failure.

That said, I use my sunroof a lot, almost every vehicle I've ever owned has had one. Knowing the problems associated with the unit installed in the 2009+ trucks, I hit mine once a month with WD40. I don't know if I'm doing more harm or helping, but I notice the operation after I do, is much smoother. I also feel like it cleans out the tracks and lubes most of the moveable parts.

There is no reason that the sunroof on a $50k truck should be junk at just 60k miles.

Old 04-19-2014, 02:59 PM
RTrac1
New User
Yep.....I agree that regular use/lubrication would likely lessen the chance that the "moonroof" does not "stick". My concern now, knowing the repair cost, if it does malfunction again back to where the thread started. I'll likely pull the fuse and never open the dang thing again......lots of things I would rather spend a $1000 on....especially with a child in college. Love my Ford truck....will never buy another vehicle with a "moonroof"!!!

Old 04-21-2014, 06:41 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
tseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputation
I've had ragtops, T-tops and a car with a manual pop up sunroof and I hated them all after a period of time. Rattles, leaks, etc make them less valuable as they age. Glad this worked out, too bad Ford didn't do the right thing.

Old 08-11-2015, 05:49 PM
Apexdjs
New User
Apexdjs is starting off with a positive reputation.
Ford Moonroof is Junk

I have had Fords for the past 22 years. My newest preowned Expedition that I have had for 8 months and has 70.,000 miles has a moonroof that won't close now. Very sad that Ford has problems with these and won't recall them.

Old 08-12-2015, 10:08 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Originally Posted by Apexdjs View Post
I have had Fords for the past 22 years. My newest preowned Expedition that I have had for 8 months and has 70.,000 miles has a moonroof that won't close now. Very sad that Ford has problems with these and won't recall them.
Welcome to the forum, Apexdjs. Have you had your dealer inspect the moonroof on your Expedition? Which model year is it? I'll research ways to help.

Crystal

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2010 F150 Platinum Moonroof Issue

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: