Aerostar Ford Aerostar

diagram showing spark plug wires to Coil pack?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 07:56 AM
Jose A.
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
diagram showing spark plug wires to Coil pack?

I removed all the spark plug wires for testing/cleaning and install new spark plugs, but stupidly forgot to mark the wires where they came off at the Coil Pack. yes, mea culpa, mea culpa!

now I cannot find a diagram for the Driver's Side wire positions at the Coil Pack.

(the Passenger side wires are 1-2-3, starting from the front of the engine, simple enough); The Coil pack itself has numbers stamped on it, so I have the Passenger side done correctly.

But the Driver's Side wires are not in a Sequence of 4-5-6, instead they are 4-6-5 (or something like that), and I can't remember their positions at the Coil Pack.

can anyone provide a drawing showing the Driver's side Wires as they connect to the Coil pack?

Example:

Front Driver's side plug wire connects to which coil pack position? (Front, Center, or Rear?)

Center Driver's side plug wire connects to which coil pack position? (F, C, or R?)

Rear Driver's side plug wire connects to which coil pack position? (F, C, or R?)

Thank you!

Old 04-08-2014, 09:16 AM
benshere
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
coil pack assignments

Just went through that! Somewhere on here I saw a chart, but it apparently was not for the 93 4.0. I numbered mine on a sheet of paper and it matches what haynes says for that year.
The coil pack (as you said) numbers F to R for pass side is 1-2-3. The drivers side numbers , F to R is 5-6-4. If you notice the coil pack seems to pair (across the ports) the cylinders that are at TDC together. 1-5, 2-6, 3-4. From your posts I suspect you already know all that . Mine runs fine! I have the Haynes if front of me and can check the 2.8 & 3.0 also---oops, just noticed that the others have a distributor!

Old 04-08-2014, 09:42 AM
waterbear
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Jose

a simmilar case happend to me when i changed the plugs & wires some month ago. You may look here what other members have posted on this forum.

As i said in the earlier thread, there are two different ways how the wires can be connected. I found out, the way it's shown in the book is more favourable because the path of which the current passes through the coil-pack is physically shorter.

Nevertheless, i choose the other option i call "drawing by numbers". Means:
Number 1 on coil-pack is number 1 Cylinder
Number 2 on coil-pack is number 2 Cylinder
..and so forth and so on

There may be a slight difference in performance between these two possibilities. I don't use my Aero* for quarter mile racing

97' XLT RWD, 3.0L, 128248miles

Old 04-08-2014, 09:44 AM
Jose A.
Fleet Mechanic
ok, thanks benshere and waterbear:

let me try to explain it like this:

if you're sitting on the Driver's seat,

1) the FRONT driver's side spark Plug (the one behind the a/c compressor) connects to which Port at the Coil pack?

2) the CENTER driver's side spark plug connects to which Coil pack Port?

obviously the remaining spark plug connects to the remaining Port

waterbear: are you saying that there are more than 1 way to connect the DRIVER'S SIDE wires to the Coil pack?

Old 04-08-2014, 10:17 AM
waterbear
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jose A.
ok, thanks benshere and waterbear:

waterbear: are you saying that there are more than 1 way to connect the DRIVER'S SIDE wires to the Coil pack?
I'm saying that there is more than one way to establish the 1-4-2-5-3-6 firing order by the coil-pack.

Note the connector of the coil-pack on the graphic to determine the proper sense of direction within the engine compartement.

Now, just connect the wires as described in my previous post:

Number 1 on coil-pack is number 1 Cylinder
Number 2 on coil-pack is number 2 Cylinder
Number 3 on coil-pack is number 3 Cylinder
Number 4 on coil-pack is number 4 Cylinder
Number 5 on coil-pack is number 5 Cylinder
Number 6 on coil-pack is number 6 Cylinder

Here's the graphic of which Cylinder is what number.

That's the way i did the wire routing in 2012 (some years ago not months) and it's still the way of how it's routet right now on mine.

Don't be confused

Last edited by waterbear; 04-08-2014 at 10:54 AM. Reason: forgott to list cylinder #5 on the list
Old 04-08-2014, 11:56 AM
benshere
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
coil wires

Maybe we are missing the question as you asked it----. Here goes
#1 on the coil pack (front port on the pass side of the pack) goes to #1 cylinder.
#2 on the coil pack (middle port on the pass side of the pack) goes to #2 cyl.
#3 on the coil pack (last port on the pass side of the pack) goes to #3 cyl.

#4 on the coil pack (front port on the drivers side of the pack) goes to #5 cyl.

#5 on the coil pack (middle port on the drivers side of the pack) goes to
#6 cyl.

#6 on the coil pack (last or rear port on drivers side of the pack) goes to #4 cyl.

Ignition plugin on coil pack points away from engine on pass side.

Any other arrangements are not standard and just confusing except for special purpose vehicles. This is starting to get a little too confusing for just 6 ports on the coil pack. As I said earlier, if you know the alignment and assignments for the 1,2,3 coil ports, just simply pick the other cyl that is at TDC at the same time and match that to 1,2,3.

Old 04-08-2014, 12:11 PM
Jose A.
Fleet Mechanic
got it gentlemen; Thank you for staying with me on this.

so indeed there are two ways, the way waterbear did it and the way benshere did it.

I'm going to try both ways and hopefully the engine will not explode.

I took the diagram from the other thread that waterbear provided and fixed it to provide the orientation I wanted, i.e., looking at it while sitting on the driver's seat, so here's the picture:

[URL=http://www.use.com/a43bb0cd6661ac128eca][IMG]

Old 04-11-2014, 12:35 PM
Jose A.
Fleet Mechanic
here's the final connections that work in any 4.0 liter Aerostar, the picture courtesy of All-Data:
Maybe Copper could put this image in a sticky?