6.2L V8 Discuss the 6.2L V8

Opinions/advice on new truck please...

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 05:15 PM
Randall1984
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Opinions/advice on new truck please...

I am not sure if I should have this in the SD section, but here goes.
I am going this week to find a new truck. If I find a Raptor I might go that route. However my main focus is on a SD, KR or Platinum. In a 6.2L. My question is should I look for a 2014, or wait on the 2015's. Have they even hit the lots yet?
I understand the new model first out deal, got bugs, etc, but the 6.2 is or has been established for sometime. Unless they did something to it for the 2015 SD trucks. I have read where the 6.2 has been toned down from a 6.2 in a Raptor. Any truth to this? I might be able to understand why, but it does not make sense to me. Does it to anyone else? I would not mind getting a 15 MY b/C the new color selection, and a tweeked suspension. Or did they do anything to the 15 suspension, I cannot remember due to info overload. I appreciate all the opinions and advice.

Old 04-07-2014, 06:57 PM
nico963
Fleet Mechanic
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
I can't add much but as far as I know no changes to the 6.2 for MY15.I would imagine the the 15' might have a few new options but thats it.The big news for the 15' is with the 6.7 Powerstroke.Not much for the 6.2.I personally was hoping for a bump up in power and torque...Or an Ecoboost motor.

Old 04-08-2014, 12:31 PM
Powelligator
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Super Duties with the 6.2 are all carried over into 2015 MY with no changes save for two new exterior colors, they also drop a couple of colors (Kodiak Brown and Sterling Gray) from last year, and the King Ranch gets a slightly different baby puke leather color. The 2014 F-350 got a slight suspension tweak compared to the 2013, no mechanical changes planned for 2015.

In an interesting angle of the numbers game, the 2014 model year was shortened by three months so in the long run there will be fewer 2014's available.

-Joe

Old 04-08-2014, 04:36 PM
Amelio
Senior User
To the OP

As far as power the 6.2 in the SD does have a different cam than the Raptor 6.2 which results in slightly less power.

But in a big *** heavy truck you should not expect crazy acceleration. I have a '12 CC 4x4 and I think it runs out very strong! Other than the BS throttle delay due to the DBW it's great!

I would like to DP injection on the 6.2 that would be a sweet power bump. This would probably result in 450ish TQ which may decrease sales on the oil burners.

Old 04-08-2014, 05:50 PM
RigTrash601
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Randall1984
I am not sure if I should have this in the SD section, but here goes.
I am going this week to find a new truck. If I find a Raptor I might go that route. However my main focus is on a SD, KR or Platinum. In a 6.2L. My question is should I look for a 2014, or wait on the 2015's. Have they even hit the lots yet?
I understand the new model first out deal, got bugs, etc, but the 6.2 is or has been established for sometime. Unless they did something to it for the 2015 SD trucks. I have read where the 6.2 has been toned down from a 6.2 in a Raptor. Any truth to this? I might be able to understand why, but it does not make sense to me. Does it to anyone else? I would not mind getting a 15 MY b/C the new color selection, and a tweeked suspension. Or did they do anything to the 15 suspension, I cannot remember due to info overload. I appreciate all the opinions and advice.
Congrats on the new truck, again, if you want to use the new vehicle to work, SD. If you need it just to travel, play around in. Raptor. The Raptor is just fine with light duty, but it's got a lower tow rating than even other 150's due to the long travel suspension, etc. As far as the SD, I don't think any changes were really made to the 6.2l gasser, other than cosmetic. Maybe some suspension chages.

If I were in your shoes, I'd probably ****** up a Raptor. While they may eventually make another version, the '14 Raptors are the last of the breed, and are just a bad a$$ machine! (I don't always make the best decisions though!).

Old 04-08-2014, 09:47 PM
Randall1984
Junior User
Originally Posted by RigTrash601
Congrats on the new truck, again, if you want to use the new vehicle to work, SD. If you need it just to travel, play around in. Raptor. The Raptor is just fine with light duty, but it's got a lower tow rating than even other 150's due to the long travel suspension, etc. As far as the SD, I don't think any changes were really made to the 6.2l gasser, other than cosmetic. Maybe some suspension chages.

If I were in your shoes, I'd probably ****** up a Raptor. While they may eventually make another version, the '14 Raptors are the last of the breed, and are just a bad a$$ machine! (I don't always make the best decisions though!).
This is really a cool place to hang out in. Thanks for the input. I have never been this undecided on buying a truck before. I would have this truck to do all my work, haul, towing. However other than hard play, towing and hauling is moderate. Well within the trucks limitations. I just want to get the truck I,eve always wanted. So, whichever one presents itself when I find it. I will go from there. At least I have it narrowed down to the two. SD, or Raptor. Can,t wait.

Old 04-08-2014, 10:29 PM
RigTrash601
Postmaster
This is really a cool place to hang out in. Thanks for the input. I have never been this undecided on buying a truck before. I would have this truck to do all my work, haul, towing. However other than hard play, towing and hauling is moderate. Well within the trucks limitations. I just want to get the truck I,eve always wanted. So, whichever one presents itself when I find it. I will go from there. At least I have it narrowed down to the two. SD, or Raptor. Can,t wait.
If you have the means, don't settle, get what YOU want. If not, that'll always be on your mind. At least that's the way I am.

Old 04-08-2014, 11:18 PM
99snake
New User
I understand that the torque converter on the diesel and gas are both the same and bigger on 2015. Also I've heard ( you all would know more than I do) that the suspension has been tweeked with maybe a better ride. I saw the new colors and they looked a little like the ones they just discontinued. Ordered mine on the 22nd of march. I'm really look'n forward to this truck. Not afraid of the 6.2 to pull my 5th wheeler. I 'm sure it will do great.

Old 04-10-2014, 09:15 AM
Randall1984
Junior User
I would not worry about the 6.2L pulling almost anything. (I know with in reason) however on my 45 min return home with my new Raptor, this motor is a hoss. The truck ain't bad either.
I had a life long dream come true yesterday. Going in a dealership and buying the truck you always wanted, critics be danged, most know the type. We literally had to drive it off the showroom floor! I got pics too. I figure out how to put them up I will share them. So my hand wringing and research is done. Now to accessorize!!!

Old 04-10-2014, 09:17 AM
Randall1984
Junior User
Originally Posted by RigTrash601
If you have the means, don't settle, get what YOU want. If not, that'll always be on your mind. At least that's the way I am.
Well Rig, did it! Got that Raptor. Thanks bro for the prompt.

Old 04-10-2014, 09:19 AM
RigTrash601
Postmaster
I would not worry about the 6.2L pulling almost anything. (I know with in reason) however on my 45 min return home with my new Raptor, this motor is a hoss. The truck ain't bad either.
I had a life long dream come true yesterday. Going in a dealership and buying the truck you always wanted, critics be danged, most know the type. We literally had to drive it off the showroom floor! I got pics too. I figure out how to put them up I will share them. So my hand wringing and research is done. Now to accessorize!!!

Congraulations!!! did you end up the the Ruby Red Metallic? You won't regret it at all. The 6.2L in the half ton is intoxicating to say the least. Now all you need is a good CAI and a Borla "S-Type" exhaust!, talk about waking up the truck.

Old 04-10-2014, 09:31 AM
RigTrash601
Postmaster
I had mentioned earlier a Borla system, that is the best sounding exhaust, IMO on the 6.2L, however, Corsa makes a good sounding system also. I'm speaking from experience here, the Magna-Flow sounds good, but mine has alot of cab drone. Wasn't a problem to begin with, but it can get irritating on a long trip. As far as accessorizing, options are limitless, if I were you though, I'd leave the suspension stock on the Raptor, kinda defeats the purpose of buying one, besides that, in stock form, that's one of the best riding trucks I've ever driven. Just be careful on the interstate, set the cruise 'cause you'll be knocking on triple digits in the speedo and not realize it!!