1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lesson learned about "Okay" tires vs. "Good" tires

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 12:11 AM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Smile Lesson learned about "Okay" tires vs. "Good" tires

I've had 3 sets of tires on my Excursion since purchase.

1. Michelin LTX M/S - 265/75/16 Load - Range E
2. Nitto Terra Grappler A/T - 315/75/16 - Load Range D
3. Firestone Destination M/T - 315-75-16 - Load Range E

The Michelins were good tires. Excellent actually. Just didn't look "cool". I replaced them because they didn't compliment the lift. Stupid mistake

The Nitto's immediately annoyed me because of their spongy feel and extremely loud at all speeds. Noise got worse with wear. The X wallowed at times even with 55 psi in the tires. I learned to live with it and eventually didn't notice the effects. Nittos were also slicker than owl poo when wet. My little ol' V-10 could light them up quite easily. All that ended 2-3 days ago the drivers tire popped a steel belt.

I put the Destinations on last night. Holy crap are they a good tire. I've run them before and it highly influenced my decision. These M/T's are quiet, they track better down the road than those POS Nitto's, and they don't wallow. I had no idea how nicely my Excursion could ride. I didn't have a while lot of steering wander (you know the crap that plagues the X and F-250/350), but it's essentially gone now.

What really drove the drastic change home are the roads. Hawaii has atrocious roads. We were on one of the worse ones earlier and my wife asked if the new tires are why the truck wasn't doing it's typical "Death Wallow". Previously that section of road has been at times a real white knuckle experience.

Anyways...just a FYI that you truly get what you pay for. I settled for cheap POS Nitto tires...and I payed for that with a poor performing/riding rig for almost 1yr. And I would never have bet that a M/T would act so civilized on the road...especially better than a A/T. Makes me wonder how well my old 2006 F-250 would have driven with good E rated M/T's vice the BFG M/Ts that were D rated.

anyways...I've seen the error of my ways. Hope my experience can save someone from a similar mistake.

oh yeah, truck **** for y'all
before

after

Old 04-06-2014, 03:20 AM
JandC
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree. My F350 came with Generals, which were not horrible but I could get stuck in wet grass. At 20,000 miles I trashed them and went with BFG load range E tires. I pull a heavy 5th Wheel and I wanted a good tire. They weren't cheap but "you get what you pay for" when it comes to tires.

Old 04-06-2014, 03:56 AM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Received 128 Likes on 43 Posts
Tires are one area i refuse to skimp on, i replace way before other would because that last 25% the traction is pretty low. snow tires i'm even worse about...but someone gets a good deal on CL with my "used up" ones lol

truck looks GREAT btw!!

Old 04-06-2014, 04:18 AM
1958 Ford F250
Senior User
Thumbs up Thanks !!!!

Thanks for the info.. on the tires... I went with BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A on my other truck and you do get what you pay for on Tires I'm Glad your Excursion rides better... It Should... Looks Really Nice with the Lift and the new Tires

Old 04-06-2014, 05:53 AM
1977cutcher
Senior User
Good tires tend to solve lots of problems.

Old 04-06-2014, 06:38 AM
madjak
Elder User

Great looking truck! The tires really compliment it.

I will be ready for new tires on my F-250 in a few months and I think
I will get these same tires on mine.

Old 04-06-2014, 11:30 AM
Quad Racer
Cargo Master
Received 135 Likes on 103 Posts
I have had good luck with my Nitto Trail Grapplers. They have worn a little quicker than I'd like. For this I am considering a different set. I will look into the Firestones. Im also going to look at the Cooper STT. Thanks for the pics the X looks way better with the newer meats.

Old 04-06-2014, 01:15 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
How long have you owned the X now?

Old 04-06-2014, 01:18 PM
Bigpipes 35
Cargo Master
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Not to defend the Nitto's but they were a LR D and the new tires are E's, I have Nitto Load range E and have no problems with them at all.

Old 04-06-2014, 10:21 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Originally Posted by Bigpipes 35
Not to defend the Nitto's but they were a LR D and the new tires are E's, I have Nitto Load range E and have no problems with them at all.
Oh I know the squirmy aspect was the load range

But that is no excuse for the poor traction, of how loud they are. My M/T's are quiet

Old 04-06-2014, 11:34 PM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Tylus
Oh I know the squirmy aspect was the load range
I settled for cheap POS Nitto tires
Sounds like you went cheap and didn't get the right load range, and you're complaining that it didn't do what it wasn't supposed to do.

Load Range E 4080# Trail Grapplers have lasted almost 45k on my truck. No issues, no spongyness, no weirdness. They're actually rocks when they're pumped up under a 15k#+ gooseneck, and even with maybe 2/32nds tread left didn't leave me stuck today at Texas Motor Speedway in the mud while pulling a half dozen other cars out. Maybe you should have just bought the correct tire?

The Terra Grappler is that same BS A/T like the Rugged Trail A/Ts that came stock, I won't try to church it up to something it isn't and say it's the end all be all of A/Ts, but you're being real anti-Nitto over something failing at what it wasn't supposed to do in the first place? I'm usually the first one to say that D-Range is ok on a Super Duty platform, but I guess you had to know what you were buying into at that point and shouldn't have been surprised at the shortcomings of that choice.

Old 04-06-2014, 11:53 PM
nico963
Fleet Mechanic
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
I gotta say I feel the complete opposite about the Terra Grapplers.

I loved mine.Quiet and solid while towing.I can't comment about longevity as I swapped them out loooong before they were due for the Toyo's I have now.

Now you wanna talk about a loud tire?Ask me about my Toyo M/T's

Old 04-07-2014, 02:29 AM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Originally Posted by texastech_diesel
Sounds like you went cheap and didn't get the right load range, and you're complaining that it didn't do what it wasn't supposed to do.

Load Range E 4080# Trail Grapplers have lasted almost 45k on my truck. No issues, no spongyness, no weirdness. They're actually rocks when they're pumped up under a 15k#+ gooseneck, and even with maybe 2/32nds tread left didn't leave me stuck today at Texas Motor Speedway in the mud while pulling a half dozen other cars out. Maybe you should have just bought the correct tire?

The Terra Grappler is that same BS A/T like the Rugged Trail A/Ts that came stock, I won't try to church it up to something it isn't and say it's the end all be all of A/Ts, but you're being real anti-Nitto over something failing at what it wasn't supposed to do in the first place? I'm usually the first one to say that D-Range is ok on a Super Duty platform, but I guess you had to know what you were buying into at that point and shouldn't have been surprised at the shortcomings of that choice.
I did settle. I wanted mud tires, but found the Nittos at a great price. Thought they were good tires based on the 'Net. D rated can easily hold the weight of my rig, and I ran D rated in my old PSD F-250.

The 3 remaining Nitto tires sitting in my garage have 4/32 tread left. I'm glad you have traction...I found them to be slicks when wet. And the noise is kinda ridiculous for a A/T tire

I used to be okay with running D rated in these rigs unless towing heavy. Probably would still be if the tire was a quality tire.

At the end of the day, the Nittos did their job. Kinda crappy at times...at least they look nice

Purpose if this thread was more to point out that E rated tires are a better option for the SD platform. It's amazing how much the ride can be affected by tire rating...and quality.

Old 04-07-2014, 08:07 AM
jmhatchett
Senior User
I did settle. I wanted mud tires, but found the Nittos at a great price. Thought they were good tires based on the 'Net. D rated can easily hold the weight of my rig, and I ran D rated in my old PSD F-250.

The 3 remaining Nitto tires sitting in my garage have 4/32 tread left. I'm glad you have traction...I found them to be slicks when wet. And the noise is kinda ridiculous for a A/T tire

I used to be okay with running D rated in these rigs unless towing heavy. Probably would still be if the tire was a quality tire.

At the end of the day, the Nittos did their job. Kinda crappy at times...at least they look nice

Purpose if this thread was more to point out that E rated tires are a better option for the SD platform. It's amazing how much the ride can be affected by tire rating...and quality.
I have to agree with TTU and say that the shortcomings in the tire were the load range. Looking in your picture at your X, the sidewall on those tires is enormous and with only a load D tire you were giving in to a whole lot of sidewall flex on a very heavy vehicle. This in my opinion is why you were not happy with the tires. "settling for a good deal" is often for a reason, the tires were dumped for cheap for a reason (this case load range D and huge sidewall which equals trouble on these types of vehicles). While you say that Nitto is not a quality tire i could argue this point but i dont want to hijack this thread. I however do have almost 60K on my Nitto Trail Grapplers and have had 3 sets of Terra grapplers nd they have all been EXCELLENT tires.

I am glad that you found a tire that you love and i too have used Firestones and still have them on a couple of work trucks and they are good tires. I just think the brand bashing is unwarranted. Load Range E is almost a Must on a heavy truck with motors on the front axle that are very heavy.

Old 04-07-2014, 09:22 AM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

edit: useless to continue

enjoy your tires gentlemen

Last edited by Tylus; 04-07-2014 at 09:23 AM. Reason: stop the offtangent

Quick Reply: Lesson learned about "Okay" tires vs. "Good" tires