302 and a turbo

Old 04-06-2014, 09:27 PM
Grey5.0
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
302 and a turbo

So, I'm planning on finding a turbocharger off of an old powerstroke deisel and fitting it to the 302 V8 in my '78 F100. The engine is otherwise stock, with the Motorcraft 2150 and everything. What kind of boost do those turbos put out, and would I have to make any other modifications?
Thanks!

Old 04-07-2014, 02:27 AM
xlt4wd90
Lead Driver

Received 86 Likes on 75 Posts
To make any compressor more effective, you want to install an aftercooler.

Don't know about the capacity of the turbocharger for a PSD, but my feeling is that it's way too big for a 302. Most turbochargers have an operating range where they're most effective, and you generally want the smallest one that will meet your requirements so it spins up as fast as possible.

Old 04-07-2014, 04:42 AM
Grey5.0
Freshman User
Originally Posted by xlt4wd90
To make any compressor more effective, you want to install an aftercooler.

Don't know about the capacity of the turbocharger for a PSD, but my feeling is that it's way too big for a 302. Most turbochargers have an operating range where they're most effective, and you generally want the smallest one that will meet your requirements so it spins up as fast as possible.
I'll have to see about the intercooler. As for the engine size, I actually swiped the idea from the Roadkill team, who strapped one on a 4.3L V6

Old 04-09-2014, 09:27 PM
jimbbski
Elder User
Is the engine in the truck using a carb or does it have fuel injection?
If a carb you will have many things you will have to do to get it to work. It's been done in the past before FI was common but today it's so much easier to turbo a FI engine that it makes no sense to use a carb.

Old 04-09-2014, 10:05 PM
Grey5.0
Freshman User
Originally Posted by jimbbski
Is the engine in the truck using a carb or does it have fuel injection?
If a carb you will have many things you will have to do to get it to work. It's been done in the past before FI was common but today it's so much easier to turbo a FI engine that it makes no sense to use a carb.
I stated in the original post that it has the stock Motorcraft 2150 2bbl carburetor, which would be replaced with an Edelbrock 4bbl and manifold to allow the engine to breathe enough. While the idea of having a new EFI engine swapped in is nice, I don't have $10,000+ to spend on that, hence working with what I have.

Old 04-09-2014, 10:12 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
With a stock engine, how much boost are you planning to run? 4psi? 6 psi?
Whats the power goal?

Chances are, the air won't be too hot at those lower pressures, and intercooler might not be needed.

You might want to check out "megasquirt" EFI systems, they have standalone EFI computers that you can use to do all kinds of stuff with.
And when I say all kinds of stuff, guys have made EFI lawn mower engines with it.

I don't know all that much about what you are doing, but if you think this will be a couple hundred dollar project, I don't think so.

Old 04-09-2014, 10:16 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
I think this is kinda close to what you'd need:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MIGHTY-DEMON-850-CFM-ANNULAR-BLOW-THRU-CARB-W-BLACK-LINE-KIT-5563020BT-IN-STOCK-/231021466867?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item35c9f3d4f3&vxp=mtr

Old 04-09-2014, 10:30 PM
Grey5.0
Freshman User
Originally Posted by parkland
With a stock engine, how much boost are you planning to run? 4psi? 6 psi?
Whats the power goal?

Chances are, the air won't be too hot at those lower pressures, and intercooler might not be needed.

You might want to check out "megasquirt" EFI systems, they have standalone EFI computers that you can use to do all kinds of stuff with.
And when I say all kinds of stuff, guys have made EFI lawn mower engines with it.

I don't know all that much about what you are doing, but if you think this will be a couple hundred dollar project, I don't think so.
Oh, I know that. The endgame is going to have Trickflow Twisted Wedge heads, forged pistons, balanced crank, heavy race cam, roller rockers, springs, etc, but I'll need to save money to get to that point. For that, assuming I go with naturally aspirated, I'll be looking at around 400 horse. In the mean time, I'm looking to add some power without dropping 5,000. And yes, I was thinking of running about 5 psi. Another, easier option would be to swap in a mild-ish Crane cam.

Old 04-09-2014, 10:48 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
I was in a mustang with a 302 and 7 psi, and it was pretty wild.

They got a 4.8 GM engine putting out 1200 hp on the dyno with stock internals, cheap ebay turbochargers, and custom tune. Actually I think they used studs and flipped the stock piston rings, but still, almost stock.

Do you know how much boost a 302 will hold without serious mods?
Is this going to be for strictly racing, or daily driving?

Old 04-10-2014, 06:50 AM
Grey5.0
Freshman User
I was in a mustang with a 302 and 7 psi, and it was pretty wild.

They got a 4.8 GM engine putting out 1200 hp on the dyno with stock internals, cheap ebay turbochargers, and custom tune. Actually I think they used studs and flipped the stock piston rings, but still, almost stock.

Do you know how much boost a 302 will hold without serious mods?
Is this going to be for strictly racing, or daily driving?
This is, for the foreseeable future, going to be a daily driver. The most boost I'd run through a stock '70s 302 is about ten psi, though they can probably handle up to 15 psi. Here is another thing, kinda off topic, but still pertinent: I've heard that some '70s era 302s actually had retarded cam sprockets in addition to the other smog components. Any way to check without removing my water pump?

Old 04-10-2014, 09:40 AM
parkland
Lead Driver
Well if it's a daily driver that you depend on for work, I personally wouldn't run that high of boost.
This is just going on things I've heard from people, run across on forums, etc, but I think 10 PSI would be pushing it a little hard if you rely on it.

Keep in mind you're also going to need high octane fuel, so no more cheap regular gasoline.
Unless you run a meth/water injection kit, but that costs money too.

Have you considered building an engine in your garage or something, then swapping engines?
It would be nice to have a fresh engine to start with, plus you can do a few upgrades before it even goes in. Engines of that era are not pricey, running 302's and similar are easy to find running for 200-500$.

Old 04-10-2014, 04:21 PM
xlt4wd90
Lead Driver

Received 86 Likes on 75 Posts
I think a stock 302 block can sustain about 400 to 450 hp for short periods of time. Those power levels will distort the core, which will lead to parts seizing or breaking.

So if you're expecting the engine to put out 400 hp NA, it's not going to take much boost to blow it up.

Now, if you start with the Boss 302 block from Ford racing:

BOSS 302 CYLINDER BLOCK | Part Details for M-6010-BOSS302* | Ford Racing Performance Parts

It's good for over 1000HP, and you can probably get away with 15 psi of boost on top of 400HP NA. In theory, that can get you up to 800HP.

Old 04-10-2014, 05:22 PM
Grey5.0
Freshman User
Originally Posted by xlt4wd90
I think a stock 302 block can sustain about 400 to 450 hp for short periods of time. Those power levels will distort the core, which will lead to parts seizing or breaking.

So if you're expecting the engine to put out 400 hp NA, it's not going to take much boost to blow it up.

Now, if you start with the Boss 302 block from Ford racing:

BOSS 302 CYLINDER BLOCK | Part Details for M-6010-BOSS302* | Ford Racing Performance Parts

It's good for over 1000HP, and you can probably get away with 15 psi of boost on top of 400HP NA. In theory, that can get you up to 800HP.
I'd beg to differ with that statement. I know of a number of street/strip/daily driver builds with a stock 302 block, and have never heard of warping the block. I can only imagine that that would be an issue if someone tries to run it over 7,000 rpm. Like I said, I can't spend $10,000+ on a crate engine. If I DID do an engine swap, I'd drop in a 460.

Old 04-10-2014, 05:26 PM
Grey5.0
Freshman User
Well if it's a daily driver that you depend on for work, I personally wouldn't run that high of boost.
This is just going on things I've heard from people, run across on forums, etc, but I think 10 PSI would be pushing it a little hard if you rely on it.

Keep in mind you're also going to need high octane fuel, so no more cheap regular gasoline.
Unless you run a meth/water injection kit, but that costs money too.

Have you considered building an engine in your garage or something, then swapping engines?
It would be nice to have a fresh engine to start with, plus you can do a few upgrades before it even goes in. Engines of that era are not pricey, running 302's and similar are easy to find running for 200-500$.
I've actually considered doing that with a 460. They're heavier, but there is a lot more potential to make power. And I didn't plan on pushing that much boost.

Old 04-10-2014, 06:47 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
Or a 351, I've heard the 351 talked up quite a bit.
Certain years are very strong, and 302 stuff fits it.
Stronger than 302's anyways, according to a couple stories.

460 would be a cool option too.

If you are thinking of building in and then swapping, by all means, choose the engine that will cost the least to get the power you want.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 302 and a turbo