what are the pros and cons of switching to an electric fan?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 08:58 PM
im2tall33
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
what are the pros and cons of switching to an electric fan?

I have been mulling the idea over in my head about converting my 94 over to an electric fan vs the stock fan. I have heard rumors of freeing up horsepower and torque. Is this true? What are other benifits? Also if you have done the swap where did you get your parts from?

I think I remember a thread that someone yanked it out of a Taurus? Any info would be great. Thanks guys.

Old 04-02-2014, 01:41 AM
F-250 restorer
Lead Driver
Received 137 Likes on 117 Posts
The net is full of info. It might be a good idea to begin googling and reading. Even the search here will turn up many threads.

The only reason to use one is if your system is not adequate. I installed an efan for use hauling in Baja.

You won't notice a difference with power.

Pros: Quicker, stronger cooling, cruising w/o using power on fan.

Cons: Sound, power drain, expense, possible need for a higher output alt.

The three most popular types are the Taurus fan, the Lincoln Mark V111, and the Contour dual fan. With an inline 6 the only one that will fit is the Contour. It moves 3500 cfm. Good luck.

Old 04-02-2014, 03:05 AM
trozei
Postmaster
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by F-250 restorer
You won't notice a difference with power.
With a factory-spec engine, no, but if you have a built up engine the electric fan frees up a surprising amount of power. Car Craft magazine did an article on parasitic power loss through the drivetrain. On a Ford 357 small block, they were losing up 106hp, or 40%, from the flywheel to the wheels. Troubleshooting, they converted to electric fan. They found that the engine fan alone killed as much as 22 hp at 5,200 rpm. It's really quite interesting.

Drivetrain Power Loss - Car Craft Magazine

Old 04-02-2014, 05:44 AM
dylansf23
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
At 5200 rpm

Yeah I think Idon't even have 22hp at that rpm, if it even continues to spin.

Old 04-02-2014, 09:44 AM
F-250 restorer
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by trozei
With a factory-spec engine, no, but if you have a built up engine the electric fan frees up a surprising amount of power. Car Craft magazine did an article on parasitic power loss through the drivetrain. On a Ford 357 small block, they were losing up 106hp, or 40%, from the flywheel to the wheels. Troubleshooting, they converted to electric fan. They found that the engine fan alone killed as much as 22 hp at 5,200 rpm. It's really quite interesting.

I find those numbers amusing. If you're having to spin a 300 5,200 rpm then either you're racing or foolish, imo. Was the fan running during the test? Did the swap require a larger/higher output alt? I'll wager not. How much hp diff is there at 750 to 2500 rpm where I use it constantly?

I have a highly modded 300, but I've used an efan since day one so I can't compare it to anything. One thing I will say is that the install required a 130 amp alt. My old alt took one belt. This one requires two or it squeals. It takes more power to turn the alt now.

My favorite quote from an efan article I wrote, regarding the Taurus fan: "It'll suck a cat through the radiator now."

Note: There is one model Taurus fan that will work with the 300. It has a relief in the webbing, and the water pump flange has to sit there or it will not fit.

That is a dual efan out of a 2000 Contour or Mystique. I wired each fan separately so if one fan fails I can limp home. With Taurus overkill relays and fuses, a $20 adjustable control, the system cost me about $80 and moves 3500 cfm. In the after market it would run around 5X that. I have used it over 2 years now. I also use a j/y Taurus alt and have a back up behind the seat.

I have a good thread filed in here somewhere.

Old 04-02-2014, 09:55 AM
im2tall33
Post Fiend
Ok thanks for the info. So in my case with a stock efi 300 it may be a useless swap. I just noticed the other day that my fan clutch is starting to go out and thats what got me thinking about doing the swap

Sent from my SM-G730V using IB AutoGroup

Old 04-04-2014, 07:53 AM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Replacing a failing clutch-type fan with a bone-yard efan wouldn't be a bad idea, as the cost would be about the same as a new fan clutch.
Pros to an e-fan: max cooling effect at slow speeds, even stopped. Runs only when needed by the engine and/or A/C. Factory style fans tend to rather durable. Can gain a little MPG too.
Cons to e-fan: Higher electrical draw on the system, could require an alt upgrade. Cheap after market fans can be rather crap quality, and fail quickly, not to mention the cheap mounting system *can* damage a radiator.
The biggest concern with an e-fan, is the wiring. Done right, a good quality fan should give years of trouble free service, but done in a poor manner it can lead to major headaches.
Also, if the alt happens to start failing, the added drain can zap a battery that much quicker.

Old 04-04-2014, 10:38 AM
F-250 restorer
Lead Driver
With an inline six there are only a couple of fan you can use. One is the Contour/Mystique fan I mentioned. Still, it is a tight fit with minimal clearance between the water pump and the shroud/webbing. The other choice is one model of the Taurus ran. It was designed with a void at one section of the shroud/webbing. That is where the w/p would sit.

Old 04-04-2014, 10:59 AM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by trozei

If you read that article the fan used was not a clutched fan. Comparing a flex fan to a clutch fan is not accurate.

Old 03-11-2016, 03:32 PM
F-250 restorer
Lead Driver
I wanted to add a bit of info to the thread here. For some time I have used the Countour/Mistique fan, a 2000 year model. It is a dual two speed fan/shroud set up with a slim 3.25" profile. At some point I put in an electric Auto Meter gauge that seemed unresponsive. The temp just hovered around 210* once warm. I run a 198* thermostat with a Beck/arnley thermo switch that kicks on low at 210. (I may go with a 194* thermostat and a bmw switch with a lower temp kick on, say 200*.)

I was thinking the fan wasn't doing the job as before. But before I switched the fan (it still seemed to be blowing a lot of air) I changed to Auto Meter manual gauge with more detailed increments on the dial. With the manual I can see the fan drops the temp 16* within one minute! That is on a 70* day. I just think the manual gauge, with instant readout, is the way to go for me.

I've always been happy with the Contour fan. I've read of guys using them for big blocks in trucks, and they cooled fine.

Old 03-20-2016, 09:18 PM
ZarK-eh
Elder User
Not sure of the year Taurus I grabbed this from, but it's the two speed single motor type. It's really close to the water pump, but it fits. I think if your using the old style v-belts you might have fitment issues.

Photo1

Photo2

For me, I didn't care about keeping this original, so I went with the best I could fit. Which means: EFI, 3G alternator, and of course the Electric Fan!

If I was keeping it simple I woulda used the fan clutch with temp sensor springy thingy. They work well and only crank up the rpms when it needs to.

Old 03-21-2016, 12:24 AM
F-250 restorer
Lead Driver
The Taurus fan I have seen are one piece shroud, but those are pre 2000 models. Yours looks like a Volvo fan with the two piece shroud. I believe it is smaller than the 16" fan blades of the Taurus fan pre 2000. Interesting. I have both the one piece Taurus fan and the two piece with the smaller blades. Both are single motor, two speed fans. Maybe Ford put that two piece on later model Taurus, but I've never seen that, nor come across it in the forums, therefore, I think that is a Volvo fan you have.

Old 05-21-2018, 01:18 AM
ftrk66
Tuned
Would the Taurus fan fit the 66 Ford F100/ I6 300, I guess there is a plenty of space.

Old 05-21-2018, 03:45 PM
BS51993
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Electric fans work off the battery and will reduce battery life.

Old 05-22-2018, 03:26 AM
ftrk66
Tuned
If you live in a hot area or do lots of traffic stopping, the electric fan is the solution, imagine your car is boiling while you are at the traffic in a hot crowd day.

Quick Reply: what are the pros and cons of switching to an electric fan?