2005 Ford Ranger Bogs down after warm at idle. - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

2005 Ford Ranger Bogs down after warm at idle.

Old 04-01-2014, 01:06 PM
New User

bobgleason is starting off with a positive reputation.
Cool 2005 Ford Ranger Bogs down after warm at idle.

I have a 2005 ranger, 3.0 and automatic trans
The truck runs fine until it is warm... runs great down highway... stopping at a light or stop sign is horrible, It will act like the (old term ) carb is flooding out.
I put it on a meter It said tps so I replaced it. then it said number 4 cyl no power so I put new plugs in.... I do not hear any vacuum leaks, and It runs like a top when cold. Help?
Old 04-01-2014, 10:50 PM

pawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to behold
Welcome to FTE.

Post up All trouble code Number clues you had, or now have, as they can offer up good trouble shooting clues.

Did the problem come about suddenly after some event, or slowly over time. how many miles on this puppy & is the vehicle up to date on All past & present due scheduled maintenance replacement items????
Old 04-02-2014, 02:35 AM
New User

Sorry, I didnt keep the codes, was a friends computer. I just bought the truck and they told me they kept it maintained. She has 183 k miles and truck runs perfect except the bogging down after warmup... I sure miss the old carb and point days lol.
Old 04-02-2014, 09:38 AM

pawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to behold
OK good feedback. If the CEL is still lit, most autoparts stores will scan the computer at no charge, some will do it if we're having problems with no lit CEL.

Since the vehicle is new to you & with the mileage on it, a number of scheduled maintenance things are due/past due for replacement the Second time around & could be a factor in your woes.
Right now, without those trouble code clues, the list of possibilities is rather long & at this point would just be a Wag on my part!!!! lol So we'll need a new trouble code scan & post All code Numbers, as you may have more than one problem & the codes could provide good clues on where best to look next.

If you like turning your own wrenches, maybe consider investing in an inexpensive ELM scantool, like mentioned here. https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-scantool.html They can be had for around $25 shipped & running freeware FORScan, can scan All of the vehicle controllers/computers & list any trouble codes & it can display in several forms, on our viewing device, live sensor PID's to the vehicles computer/s, which sure can help the accuracy of a trouble shoot, cut trouble shooting time & cost to repair. Back in Dec it sure helped me get out of an ABS system dead end trouble shoot I had worked myself into on my 99 Ranger & get things put right without further delay & in the process of being able to scan All of the vehicles controllers, found two more trouble codes in the body controller I didn't know I had, as they hadn't set a CEL!!!!

More thoughts for consideration, let us know how it goes
Old 04-07-2014, 10:16 AM
New User

will check on the scanner, ran a new scan an now it says #4 cyl missfire.
Old 04-07-2014, 01:44 PM
New User

A mechanic recommended me to pour a can of sea foam down vacume line slowly so the engine would not die... Now my Transmission shifts hard enough to break your neck! will this straighten out ?
Old 04-08-2014, 11:03 AM

As suggested above, consider having the engine computer scanned for trouble codes & post All code Numbers, as they can offer up good trouble shooting clues & right now you & the forum needs some good trouble shooting clues, as it sounds like you may have more than one problem!!!!

Before dosing the engine with Seafoam, try testing the IAC as outlined in the Tech Info thread atop this forums index page, to see if its working, as its responsible for maintaining idle speed. If it's faulty, or dirty inside with deposits as is often the case, it can stick & cause idle speed woes. You could try removing & cleaning it internally with a plastic safe spray, like CRC MAF or QD spray cleaners, keeping the IAC electrical connector & little black cap oriented up, so the cleaning solvents & any deposits they remove don't go into those areas & cause other mischief & see if cleaning improves things. Cleaning the IAC may not last, it didn't for me, but was a good trouble shooting step. More thoughts for consideration, let us know how your trouble shoot goes.
Old 04-08-2014, 11:42 AM
New User

Thanks for the reply, will try on the iac.... did that seafoam hurt my transmission?
Old 04-08-2014, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobgleason View Post
Thanks for the reply, will try on the iac.... did that seafoam hurt my transmission?
Well we don't know where, or how you applied the Seafoam, or which product was used. Did you pour it into the tranny, or ingest it into engine???? If you applied it to the engine, what Seafoam product was used & how was it applied???? If you used it in the tranny, how much was used & where is the tranny fluid level now???? If you applied the seafoam to the engine, did you disconnect the battery B- cable to wipe the engine KAM, which has the fuel trim tables, cold & warm idle strategy stored, so you'd want to perform another cold & warm idle strategy relearn proceedure & will need to drive it some for it to begin building new fuel trim tables, all a vicious circle!!!!

If the engine idle speed is corrupt, it'll confuse the tranny controller about when & how to shift the tranny & maybe cause shifting woes, so as mentioned before, we need more clues to try & help you figure out whats going on.
Old 04-21-2014, 05:00 PM
New User

Thanks, I cleaned the Iat sensor.... It was carboned up badly.. truck runs better but now I am getting Iat sensor high output error... lol...

I think I used regular seafoam ( red and white can) and I put it in the vacuum tube from the brake booster. I am an old style mechanic ( for a dealer ship )for 30 years before computers and this new crap.
Old 04-21-2014, 06:25 PM

OK, so the engine got the decarbon shock treatment of Seafoam ingested into it via the brake booster vacuum line & the tranny didn't get any Seafoam Trans Tune.

You've posted that you cleaned the IAT (Intake Air Temp) sensor, was that a typo, or is that what you cleaned???? If you cleaned the IAT, what product was used & what trouble code Number do you now have??? The reason I ask is that if you did clean the IAT with something like brake cleaner, it might not like that, in any case post up All trouble code Numbers you now have, as they can provide good trouble shooting clues.

If it was the IAC you cleaned & it was carboned up & sticking, it could have been corrupting idle speed & that can make for rough auto tranny shifting.

If you disconnected the B- cable while working, that'll wipe any corrupt fuel trim tables & idle strategy stored in the KAM, so to preclude possible driveability problems it would probably be a good idea to perform a new cold & warm idle strategy relearn proceedure.
Old 04-22-2014, 11:48 AM
New User

Sorry, it was the iac that I cleaned.... I unplugged it and checked for the proper connection... reset the computer... Now the truck runs perfect and shifts perfect!!!

Thanks for all the help!
Old 04-22-2014, 12:33 PM

Ok, good find, fix, feedback & to hear all now seems well & your "on the road again"!!!
Old 04-22-2014, 12:41 PM

An IAC cleaning after thought. Cleaning the IAC might not last, it didn't for me on my 99 Ranger & is probably why Ford recommends replacement when they act out, but cleaning was a good trouble shooting step for me, so if your IAC woes return, you'll not be surprised.
Old 05-03-2014, 11:58 AM
New User

yup, It just returned guess I will have to buy a new one... did that do the trick for you?