Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

loss of power

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2014, 12:11 PM
wtfisgasmileage
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
loss of power

Hello everyone! I'm new to the forum, and also the new owner to a 95 F250 2wd 7.5 liter. Truck ran great for a while when I first bought it, then it started to stall. Determined that the pickup coil was bad, so i picked up a new distributor. Replaced it, drove it home, no issues. The next day I was towed to work due to a severe drop in power. Couldn't get the truck above 15mph on the highway. After a few hours of scratching my head, I replaced the new distributor with the original one that was causing the stalling. Decided that it was a faulty part, swapped it out (which was a pain in the ***) for a new one. A few days after installing the second new distributor, I'm back to a 460ci motor with no ***. It also sounds like the diverter valve is going crazy under load. I've even tried to compensate by advancing timing just to see what would happen.

My question to you guys is this, would I be correct in assuming that the truck gods hate me and sent me a second faulty part? Has anyone else experienced something similar that found a miracle cure?

Old 03-29-2014, 12:40 PM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Received 951 Likes on 755 Posts
What is this diverter valve you're talking about?

Have you checked fuel pressure?
Have you checked for a clogged cat?

Old 03-29-2014, 02:27 PM
subford
Fleet Owner
Received 224 Likes on 176 Posts
Originally Posted by wtfisgasmileage
My question to you guys is this, would I be correct in assuming that the truck gods hate me and sent me a second faulty part? Has anyone else experienced something similar that found a miracle cure?
Most replacement rebuilt distributor are bad.
They have bad PIP sensors in them. When you buy a rebuilt distributor you need to also buy a new stator for it and replace it before installing the distributor.

Yes a lot of posters on this Forum have experienced the same thing. Some times up to 4 in a row before they get a good one.

When they rebuild one they do not replace the stator (PIP sensor) if it test good and the PIP sensor being bad is why the distributor was changed out in the first place.

Old 03-29-2014, 06:02 PM
MeanGreen460
Elder User
I'd be checking fuel pressure and checking exhaust plugged cat converter

Old 03-30-2014, 10:29 AM
wtfisgasmileage
New User
Sorry for the slow response. I checked fuel pressure yesterday, which was just below what Ford says is proper for this big girl. I'm kinda struggling to believe that it's low enough to cause any issues. I also did a back pressure test yesterday to test the cat, which checked out ok. As far as the diverter valve, thats only what I'm assuming it is. Its a valve that is close to the firewall on the passenger side of the engine. Not real sure what its purpose is, or what its really called for that matter, but I will try and post a picture of it on here shortly. I am kinda leaning towards replacing the MAP sensor today. I tried putting my old distributor back in, as I didnt have this loss of power with that one installed. Now it seems that was just a coincidence because I am now having the same issue with the old one. I'm also going to check fuel injector signal today to ensure that they are all working properly.

Old 03-30-2014, 11:27 AM
subford
Fleet Owner
Received 224 Likes on 176 Posts
What fuel pressure did you get and how did you get it?

Not on the road with the engine running at idle you should get 30-34psi fuel pressure and at WOT or with the vacuum hose removed from the nipple on top of the fuel pressure regulator you should get around 40psi.

If those pressures are good then take it on the road and check the fuel pressure again by mounting the fuel pressure gauge where you can see it with tape.
With the truck not on the road the fuel pressures will not tell you much other than the fuel pressure regulator is OK and the pump is running.

Example here is a video showing fuel pressure good not on the road and bad on the road.

/

Old 03-30-2014, 12:45 PM
Ikaika flagg
New User
Originally Posted by wtfisgasmileage
Hello everyone! I'm new to the forum, and also the new owner to a 95 F250 2wd 7.5 liter. Truck ran great for a while when I first bought it, then it started to stall. Determined that the pickup coil was bad, so i picked up a new distributor. Replaced it, drove it home, no issues. The next day I was towed to work due to a severe drop in power. Couldn't get the truck above 15mph on the highway. After a few hours of scratching my head, I replaced the new distributor with the original one that was causing the stalling. Decided that it was a faulty part, swapped it out (which was a pain in the ***) for a new one. A few days after installing the second new distributor, I'm back to a 460ci motor with no ***. It also sounds like the diverter valve is going crazy under load. I've even tried to compensate by advancing timing just to see what would happen.

This happened to me too, going home on the highway was 60 then 45, 30, 15... My catalytic converter was clogged preventing air from escaping, it felt like a transmission problem. When's last time it was changed?