southern california repair shop recommendations wanted: 78 f150 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2003, 04:51 AM
mooncoupe
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi guys!
my family has a '78 f-150 4x4 that i want to resurrect.
will prob need:
1. engine rebuild - 351m rebuilt as 400
2. tranny tune-up c-6
3. new drag link
4. fuel tanks cleaned
5. new starter
6. electric fuel pump and switch put in

can anyone recommend a good shop in the los angeles area that works on these years trucks - preferably a shop that you have taken your own truck to. would greatly appreciate this.
thanks all!
take care,
steve

Old 07-08-2003, 12:27 AM
xokevieox
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey. there really isn't any shops who will fix up that type (73-79) of truck in the l.a. area. the easiest thing to do is just get dirty one weekend and do most of the detail work yourself. for example, all of the cleaning, teardown and parts replacements. new starters are easy to install. same with the electric fuel pump and the drag linkage. i've been working on my truck since i was 15 and i'm 19 now. i know these trucks like the back of my greasy hands. and the few things i don't know i just ask in this forum. most things are really easy to do - remember we're working with fords!

oh yeah, something that you shouldn't overlook on older trucks is your drivetrain. your steering linkage and your steering box should be replaced if the truck has been sitting for a while. this was a mistake to not replace on my truck, there was way too much play in the steering. it was almost dangerous.

some things that i don't suggest doing yourself are the engine and tranny overhauls. although, you will have to remove the motor and tranny yourself via a cherry picker (hydraulic lift). i mean, unless you are pro, rebuilding these is very difficult to do. however, any speed shop and machine shop can do all of that rebuilding stuff with ease. just don't go overboard with all of the boring and decking and milling and honing and all of that, i mean that all depends on what type of application you want to use your truck for and how deep your pocketbook is.

as far as replacement parts go, check out this site:

http://broncograveyard.com/products/cat/18

they have just about everything that you can imagine for our trucks. well, if you have any questions or anything, feel free to email me: guyfromhistory110a(No Email Addresses In Posts!) i hope this helps ya. -kevin