Lightning, Harley-Davidson F-150, Roush F-150 & Saleen F-150 SVT Ford F150 Lightning, Roush, Saleen and other performance F150's

Need info on Lightnings

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2014, 05:11 PM
FordHubby
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need info on Lightnings

My son is chomping at the bit for a Lightning. I don't know anything about them. He has found an 04 w/<70K miles. Are these trucks dependable as daily drivers? Can he expect to put an additional 100K+ worryfree miles on it? Are there any problems with these trucks? Do insurance companies treat them as trucks or sports cars? Any info and advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Old 03-27-2014, 05:32 PM
Beechkid
Received 210 Likes on 160 Posts
Originally Posted by FordHubby
My son is chomping at the bit for a Lightning. I don't know anything about them. He has found an 04 w/<70K miles. Are these trucks dependable as daily drivers? Can he expect to put an additional 100K+ worryfree miles on it? Are there any problems with these trucks? Do insurance companies treat them as trucks or sports cars? Any info and advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
As far as the Lightning's go, they are very, very well build vehicles (including the engine/trans)...the internals although built by OEM are aftermarket oem spec'd parts (forged, etc) manufactured by very well respected shops. MPG is actually pretty good too...

Many of the trucks were purchased by the 40+ crowd who used them as 2nd cars or weekend toys...not abused and well maintained....why...mostly from the MSRP...the 40+ crowd was the only ones who could afford them....that's the good news...

Now the bad....they are equipped with a supercharger, what you would call a very good handling package, exhaust system etc & soft compound tires (that like a corvette you get to replace often...others will chime in but figure every 10-15K).....and yes, the insurance company's consider these "sports cars" or "performance vehicles".....and yes, oil changes, etc, there is a specific way to do those like all vehicles with blowers so you don't cause damage that you must follow!!!!!!!!!!!

While it is a very, very solid vehicle that will provide a long life, this is the wrong vehicle for a teenager.....with little effort you can smoke the tires forever from a dead stop & power-slide through a corner as if you were chasing a Porsche...

Old 03-27-2014, 06:12 PM
Blurry94
Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
And they also require premium octane fuel.

Old 03-27-2014, 08:24 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by Beechkid
...and yes, the insurance company's consider these "sports cars" or "performance vehicles".....
My insurance company doesn't.

To the OP, check with your insurance company to see if they price it the same as a standard F150.

and yes, oil changes, etc, there is a specific way to do those like all vehicles with blowers so you don't cause damage that you must follow!
There is no special manner for oil changes on Lightnings. The oil gets changed the same standard way any vehicle does. Remove the drain plug, drain the oil, remove the oil filter, replace with a new filter, put the drain plug back in and refill the engine with oil.

Stewart

Old 03-28-2014, 11:43 AM
Beechkid
Originally Posted by Stewart_H
My insurance company doesn't.

To the OP, check with your insurance company to see if they price it the same as a standard F150.

There is no special manner for oil changes on Lightnings. The oil gets changed the same standard way any vehicle does. Remove the drain plug, drain the oil, remove the oil filter, replace with a new filter, put the drain plug back in and refill the engine with oil.

Stewart
I was mistaken on that (oil change)...I was thinking the unit had oil lines for it....you're right....I was definitely in the old world for a minute

Old 03-28-2014, 01:53 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
...I was definitely in the old-man world for a minute
Fixed it.

Stewart

Old 03-28-2014, 03:06 PM
Beechkid
Originally Posted by Stewart_H
Fixed it.

Stewart
You have heard about the old bull & the young bull sitting at the top of a hill, overlooking a herd of cows......

The young bull looks at the old bull and says, "Why don't we run down there and get us one!"

The old bull reply's, "Why don't we walk down and get em all!"g

\
When I was younger, I used to thing about what the fastest way to get er done was, now I think about what is the easiest way to do it...

Old 03-28-2014, 03:22 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
... now I think about what is the easiest way to do it...
I resemble that in every way possible.

Thank God for friends like Pete, who's been helping me for the past few years.

Stewart

Old 03-28-2014, 03:33 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
That is called Old Man Strength

Old 03-31-2014, 08:18 PM
FordHubby
Freshman User
I appreciate everybody taking the time to respond. Fortunately, my son will not be getting this truck. He's not particularly happy, but his parents are!!

It was just too much $$ for a 10 y/o vehicle. Plus, it's been titled 8 times in 5 states. THat's just too many owners. Something just didn't feel right about the deal. Anyway, thanks again.

Old 04-24-2014, 04:27 PM
lariat79sc
Elder User
I wouldn't let a teenager even come close to a second gen Lightning. Too much power to get in trouble with. Even a first gen would be iffy. Depends on the kid.
I wanted a v8 mustang in the worst way when I became of age. My dad helped me into a 4cyl stang instead. 88hp was about all it had and I used every single.one of them. I still found trouble fast enough. Shortly after that I had a built 460 78 F150. It was like a Lightning, low, fast and quite a bit of power. Dad took that one away from me. Probably saved my life by doing so. He drove it and then sold it. Even he had a little too much fun with it.
I got a first gen Lightning in the garage. Restoring it now. I turn 40 in a few days and I wear a badge. Still that truck is a lot of fun. Too much almost still, but definately too much for a kid.

Old 05-07-2014, 01:25 PM
powerstroke72
Super Moderator
Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
Closed until a forum mod can deal with it.

Old 05-22-2014, 07:28 PM
Blurry94
Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by powerstroke72
Closed until a forum mod can deal with it.
Cleaned it up.

Old 12-14-2014, 01:38 AM
HunterSThompson
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year round depends on where -

A Lightning is about worthless in the snow, and cold - it doesn't like winter in Denver at all. More than a couple inches of snow and the air dam & front fascia get beat up by ice chunks.

A young driver on a slick road - recipe for tow bills, and being on a first name basis with the guy at the body shop.

Mine gets about 15 mpg - Premium fuel

They are nice trucks. Likely to be hard on rear tires till he buys a set or two, and set of tires is not cheap.

My daily driver is a F250 4x4 - it tows the trailer le Lightning fits in,

I hate to pee on the boys campfire but this ain't a good idea.
Even more so if you live where winter means snow and cold weather for several months. Those wide tires make great snow boards.

Point him to a vintage Ranchero - Done right - you can drive one and make money. - If he hits something in a Ranchero (God forbid) - he probably won't be going as fast as in the Lightning. (Did I say IF? - make it WHEN)
But Hey - The Lightning has airbags.

And if you do live in a snowy region - 4x4 is really nice, plus 4x4 is good for getting to better fishin spots.