Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

02 Excursion TV Replacement

Old 03-24-2014, 05:54 AM
Slave2tattoos
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02 Excursion TV Replacement

Hey everyone! New to this forum as I just found it. Hopefully someone can PLEASE HELP!!! I have an 02 Ford excursion with a center mount TV that runs front to back of the truck. The VHS is under the center console I cannot find a TV to replace the one my husband snapped out of the roof. I've tried scrapyards the dealership and the number on the TV and cannot find one to replace it. Any suggestions? I've been looking for several years now and cannot find one. We drive about four hrs one way with three kids so it would be nice to fix it for them. So I desperately need to replace the TV please help. Thanks for any information!!!!

Old 03-24-2014, 08:55 AM
Technologiq
Elder User
You may just want to replace the whole thing with this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-FACTORY-FORD-OVERHEAD-DVD-SCREEN-MONITOR-CLIMATE-CONTROLS-ROOF-MOUNTED-REAR-/310897770670?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4862f380ae&vxp=mtr

Old 03-24-2014, 11:42 AM
tdappleman
Fleet Mechanic
That's a good deal!

Old 03-24-2014, 12:07 PM
Technologiq
Elder User
Originally Posted by tdappleman
That's a good deal!
$80 with free shipping? Absolutely. The tab on the bottom of my screen is broken and I don't have factory IR so I was thinking about replacing with this.

Old 03-24-2014, 12:40 PM
Slave2tattoos
New User
Thank you!

That will not fit in my truck. Thank you tho!

Old 03-24-2014, 01:05 PM
Lambert01
Senior User
I'm in the same boat as you. Have you figured out your part #? I found the part # for my 2001. 1C7Z10E947AA. found a couple of hits on google for over $1000. not going to pay that so i every couple of months i look on ebay and see what i find.

Old 03-24-2014, 01:12 PM
Jesser02EX
Posting Guru
So the wife and I wanted to add a DVD to our Excursion, however upon looking at the old technology and the cost of the units and truck modifications, we decided to buy our kids Android Tablets and just encode all of their movies.

Now they watch movies off a 32 gig card in their android tablets and are happy. I have hooked up chargers in the seats to keep the tablets powered and everyone is happy.

DVD's are going the way of VHS with video on demand (VOD) files that play from the devices. I would encourage everyone to be careful before they sink $300 - $1000 in a DVD system.

Old 03-24-2014, 03:57 PM
Tsquareamg
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Technologiq
You may just want to replace the whole thing with this:

Factory Ford Overhead DVD Screen Monitor Climate Controls Roof Mounted Rear | eBay
I just purchased, I have a 2001 - ad says it will not fit my truck - not certain what the difference is between mine and a 2003, but at $80.00 for a new unit I will take the chance. Will need to re-paint tan - and I will follow up in the future with my attempted upgrade. I have kids and on long trips these things help.

Old 03-24-2014, 04:21 PM
tdappleman
Fleet Mechanic
The difference is your truck didn't originally come with a DVD unit so the wiring will either not be there or may be different. You may be able to find the harness online or at a salvage yard. For $80 it is definitely worth trying it.

Old 03-24-2014, 06:26 PM
Technologiq
Elder User
I have a 2002 with factory DVD - I also have an aftermarket head unit and the kids still wanted to be able to watch movies. The DVD unit (NON-IR) that was in my Ex was basically self contained. There was a power wire and a cable running back to the head unit to provide sound over the head unit/speakers.

AFAIK - this dvd unit should be pretty much self contained too. I'd much rather have DVD (dying format) vs VHS (dead format).

Fortunately I was able to wire video out of my head unit to the RCAs of the DVD player and can play videos off the SD card in my head unit to the deck and the rear DVD.

I think with some basic wiring work this unit should work fine in a <2003 Ex.

Old 03-24-2014, 06:35 PM
Technologiq
Elder User
Originally Posted by Slave2tattoos
That will not fit in my truck. Thank you tho!
I can tell you that physically it will mount right up to your Excursion.

You may have to run wiring for power and for the audio to go to the head unit.

At $80, even if you have to get someone to help it's better than paying anything more than $5 for a VHS.

Your other option is to tear the factory VHS out and just install this:

Amazon.com: Tview T90DVFD-BK 9-Inch Car Flip Down Monitor with Built in DVD Player (Black): Car Electronics Amazon.com: Tview T90DVFD-BK 9-Inch Car Flip Down Monitor with Built in DVD Player (Black): Car Electronics

And then use something like this for your climate controls:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1999-2005-FORD-EXCURSION-TAN-OVERHEAD-MID-CABIN-CLIMATE-CONTROL-/130848736526?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1e7731450e&vxp=mtr
Personally I prefer an OEM look to everything but that's not a bad deal and it's all in one.

Old 03-24-2014, 10:06 PM
Tsquareamg
Freshman User
The difference is your truck didn't originally come with a DVD unit so the wiring will either not be there or may be different. You may be able to find the harness online or at a salvage yard. For $80 it is definitely worth trying it.
Thanks for the intelligence - will look to get a hold of a wiring harness for a 2003+. Feeling good about this purchase - I was hoping to stay with the look of the stock unit - should know more by next week.

Old 03-24-2014, 10:25 PM
X-Hibition
Elder User
Ordered it, thank you for the head's up. I always wondered what I would do when the non serviced part died and now I have a spare player, monitor, and rear heater controls.

Life is good.

Old 03-24-2014, 10:49 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
The difference is your truck didn't originally come with a DVD unit so the wiring will either not be there or may be different.
It will be there, unless someone removed it.

My 2000 didn't come with the overhead DVD and when I was making the deal for my Ex at the dealership I told them they had to install one as part of the deal.

They checked with their service department to make sure it could be done easily and cheaply. Once they learned all was present to make the install a no-brainer, I bought the truck.

Stewart

Old 03-25-2014, 09:10 AM
tdappleman
Fleet Mechanic
Stewart - That's good to know!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 02 Excursion TV Replacement