Sponsored by: Moser

7,000 Mile Blackstone Labs oil report, 2013 EcoBoost

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2014, 10:44 PM
Pool Runner
Elder User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
7,000 Mile Blackstone Labs oil report, 2013 EcoBoost

Not sure if this is good, or bad. I compared it to another members Blackstone labs report, and my metals seem to be quite a bit higher than his. When I brought my truck home new from the dealer the odometer had 80 miles, I think there were 20 or so when I first test drove it. I feel like I've babied it through the break in period. Never really got into the boost much until past the 1K mile mark. The only thing I can think of that would have caused more than usual stresses, are that I have had a 400-600 lb load in the box, counting my tools in the tool box since the day I brought the truck home.

I do a lot of stop & go, on & off starts. Steep & hilly terrain. I am religious about warming the truck up properly in the mornings and such etc...I might add, this truck is not burning a lick of oil either, so I'm not worried there. Also there is little fuel in the oil, which is great news as I hear that is or can be an issue with the EcoBoost motor (Mostly due to the DI design)

P.S. Rob I hope you don't mind me using your example, I know you are OCD about maintenance and your truck. So I figured it would make a good baseline. But I would love to see other 1st EcoBoost oil change analysis as well to compare.

Disclaimer- I completely stink at computer stuff, and can't figure out for the life of me, how to get my report bigger on here (I apologize in advance)

Old 03-22-2014, 05:52 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
IMHO, I wouldn't place any stock in a single report. I would duplicate your maintenance cycle on this oil change, send the lab another sample and then compare your first and second oil change results to see what's normal / abnormal with your truck.

If there's anything that I've realized about the ecoboost engines over the last 3 years is that they are finicky as hell. Their overall performance seems to be greatly affected by the region that they are operating in.

Old 03-22-2014, 06:42 AM
DIYiT
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I did my first oil change at 5,500 miles. The metals in my report were high as well in addition to fuel levels in the oil. I'm due for another change with a little over 6,000 miles this time and am just waiting for my work schedule and the weather to line up so I can do it. I'm planning on having this oil change tested as well to form a baseline and I'll post that up when I get it back.

EDIT: This is the factory fill oil and filter. I'm now running Motorcraft filter and Mobil 1 oil.

Old 03-22-2014, 08:04 AM
Eco12
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have been debating sending some oil out for analysis, but just haven't gotten around to it. Your results Pool Runner are urging me to get on board. I have a couple of questions maybe some could help with though, but not to hijack your thread. First, I made the dealer save a sample from my first oil change, would that sample still be good to send in(about a year old)? Next, Pool Runner, which oil were you running for the sample? If I interpreted the analysis correctly(and please correct me if I am wrong), your oil viscosity a bit below a 5w30? Thanks all for the great info thus far.

Old 03-22-2014, 08:38 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
Not sure if you've seen my UOA for my factory fill yet, if not it's attached:

I'm not one to baby the truck during break-in. I didn't tow for the first thousand miles, but it did see a fair amount of full-throttle accelerations. I also went to the OH meet on my factory fill, and I'm sure that wasn't easy on it.

I'm a little confused though, the thread title says 7,000 mile, but the UOA report shows 9,829 miles. Which one is it? It looks like you changed your factory fill at around 400 miles, and this is your second oil change. If that's the case I think your numbers look great, a good portion of the break-in process occurs after 400 miles. So I think that your higher wear metals just represent the remainder of the metals that are removed during break-in.

Old 03-22-2014, 10:59 AM
Pool Runner
Elder User
Originally Posted by Tom
Not sure if you've seen my UOA for my factory fill yet, if not it's attached:

I'm not one to baby the truck during break-in. I didn't tow for the first thousand miles, but it did see a fair amount of full-throttle accelerations. I also went to the OH meet on my factory fill, and I'm sure that wasn't easy on it.

I'm a little confused though, the thread title says 7,000 mile, but the UOA report shows 9,829 miles. Which one is it? It looks like you changed your factory fill at around 400 miles, and this is your second oil change. If that's the case I think your numbers look great, a good portion of the break-in process occurs after 400 miles. So I think that your higher wear metals just represent the remainder of the metals that are removed during break-in.
Tom my report is on factory fill oil, I changed it at 7,000 since that's within Fords spec. As a rule I normally change my vehicles oil (when I purchase a new one) at the 1K mile mark. But decided to use Fords recommended interval with my EcoBoost. Just an example, I changed my factory fill in my 2011, 5.0L F-150 at the 1K mark, but had what I thought serious oil consumption throughout my ownership and 32K miles with that truck, hence why I decided to leave the factory fill in for the manufactures recommended duration thus time. Not sure if that hurt me or helped me. I'm not really worried though, truck runs like a dream, doesn't burn oil and is a joy to operate.

I'm just baffled why my copper is so much higher than the rest of yours at 200?

Tom- your report makes me feel better though, even though my numbers seem slightly elevated my 1st sample looks closest inline with yours.

Old 03-22-2014, 11:08 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by Pool Runner

I'm just baffled why my copper is so much higher than the rest of yours at 200?
Okay, so NOW I'm confused. I see two different reports on your OP, one is small enough to be illegible, and the one on bottom is barely legible. They are not the same report. So I imagine the one on top is the correct one? Where did the one on bottom come from?

I'd be happy to post it for you if you're having trouble getting it to display right. Just send it to TomB9685@yahoo.com.

Old 03-22-2014, 11:18 AM
Pool Runner
Elder User
Originally Posted by Tom
Okay, so NOW I'm confused. I see two different reports on your OP, one is small enough to be illegible, and the one on bottom is barely legible. They are not the same report. So I imagine the one on top is the correct one? Where did the one on bottom come from?

I'd be happy to post it for you if you're having trouble getting it to display right. Just send it to TomB9685@yahoo.com.
Tom- You've got mail (And thanks sir!). But to answer your question, the top sample is mine. I used PV's (Below) from his old thread about his 1st sample as a baseline to compare mine, as I know he's really picky about his truck and it's running condition.

Old 03-22-2014, 11:34 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Tom- You've got mail (And thanks sir!). But to answer your question, the top sample is mine. I used PV's (Below) from his old thread about his 1st sample as a baseline to compare mine, as I know he's really picky about his truck and it's running condition.
Okay then, now it's starting to make sense to me. Here's yours:

Rob changed his factory fill out early at around 300 miles if I remember right. So he dumped some wear metals early which is what makes his UOA look different than yours. But comparing mine with yours, it appears that my wear metals are noticeably lower than yours and I'm not sure why.

As stated above, my truck has never been babied. It doesn't idle hardly at all, whether it's 75° or 0° it gets started and put into gear nearly immediately. The majority of my miles are highway, but a good 20-30% of my driving is city miles. I probably have about 5-600 miles towing on the factory fill. While towing I'm not bashful about using lots of throttle, but it's rarely needed.

Old 03-22-2014, 11:49 AM
KJ Smith
Laughing Gas
Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts
Here is my first and third oil change.

I go by the OLM.

My truck is mostly used as a commuter vehicle and has lots of 65mph on cruise control miles on it.

As you can see, wear metals will drop as you get a little further along.

on edit: I have noticed that most factory fills looks to be 5-20 instead of 5-30

Old 03-22-2014, 02:01 PM
Pool Runner
Elder User
Originally Posted by Tom
Okay then, now it's starting to make sense to me. Here's yours:

Rob changed his factory fill out early at around 300 miles if I remember right. So he dumped some wear metals early which is what makes his UOA look different than yours. But comparing mine with yours, it appears that my wear metals are noticeably lower than yours and I'm not sure why.

As stated above, my truck has never been babied. It doesn't idle hardly at all, whether it's 75° or 0° it gets started and put into gear nearly immediately. The majority of my miles are highway, but a good 20-30% of my driving is city miles. I probably have about 5-600 miles towing on the factory fill. While towing I'm not bashful about using lots of throttle, but it's rarely needed.
I completely had forgotten that Rob did change his factory fill out really early.

Since I use my truck for work, it goes through more torture I would imagine, than the typical commuter or weekend warrior.

For an example, my truck gets turned off / on sometimes 30 times or more a day. Grant it, the motor is almost always still warm during those instances.

I also am fairly lazy in the AM, during the winter and use the remote start almost every morning (that could be causing higher metal counts) alone.

My truck almost always has a hefty payload, but no where near the maximum. I also do frequent driving in hilly and steep terrain.

On the weekends, I drive fairly spiritedly when I'm not hauling or towing anything (the power is addicting and fun) can't help it. But 90% of the time I'm babying and just taking it easy on it.

Will see what the next sample is like at 15k miles. Thanks Tom and everyone else contributing.

Old 03-24-2014, 01:32 PM
tspangle84
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here was mine at 11k miles:

FWIW, that was the third oil change. I changed at 1k and 5k. I'm coming up on 30k now, will probably do another UOA.

Old 03-25-2014, 07:39 AM
PrinceValium
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
I completely had forgotten that Rob did change his factory fill out really early.

Since I use my truck for work, it goes through more torture I would imagine, than the typical commuter or weekend warrior.

For an example, my truck gets turned off / on sometimes 30 times or more a day. Grant it, the motor is almost always still warm during those instances.

I also am fairly lazy in the AM, during the winter and use the remote start almost every morning (that could be causing higher metal counts) alone.

My truck almost always has a hefty payload, but no where near the maximum. I also do frequent driving in hilly and steep terrain.

On the weekends, I drive fairly spiritedly when I'm not hauling or towing anything (the power is addicting and fun) can't help it. But 90% of the time I'm babying and just taking it easy on it.

Will see what the next sample is like at 15k miles. Thanks Tom and everyone else contributing.
Pool no problem on using my oil sample as an example. I also used remote start a lot and actually had it set to about 10 minutes (which I now have set at 5) I did change the oil out early (old school thinking about removing particles) and although the oil did look a darker brown it did not test out that bad. I am following the OLM on the truck and changing my oil when it says I need to...so we will see how the next one turns out.

I might add that they have some specifics about when to sample the oil. That being driving the truck about 20 miles and then removing a sample from mid drain of the oil. The reason is to not have too much fuel present in the oil due to idling and also to not pull particles that were sitting by the drain plug initially.

All in all I don't see your report as being bad at all. Is there a reason you are not using the OLM? Even after almost 10,000 miles on that oil they still suggested going until about 11,000 on this next oil change. The problem with that is that you have to know what your milage was when you changed your oil because after the OLM gets down to a certain percentage I couldn't see the remaining oil life. (maybe I should have looked in the report section of the truck info)