6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Problems with the 6.4 Powerstroke; Coolant blows off

Old 03-28-2014, 08:00 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,404 Likes on 1,000 Posts
coolant green..yuk. It may also be an issue.

Old 03-28-2014, 08:01 PM
Mr Boogie
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello Stanley!

Thanks for your answer!
I also thought, that the head gaskets are blown.
But I did a CO2-Test on the coolant bottle/degasbottle. And there is no CO2 in it.

If the head gaskets are blown the high pressure in the coolant system comes from exhaust gases, that are pressed into the coolant system. Exhaust gases are CO2 - so CO2 should be in the system if the hg are blown.

When I coldstart the engine and let it run on idle for a couple of minutes (I tested up to 20Minutes) there is no pressure in the system - everything works fine up to ~190℉.
But if the temperature reaches ~195℉ there is high pressure on the system.

Don't knowing what the problem is, I drive the truck for ~7000mls with this symptoms. I think with blown head gaskets the engine should have gone the long way to nirvana...

Or do I have completely wrong thoughts?

Old 03-29-2014, 07:09 AM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Received 68 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr Boogie
Hello Stanley!

Thanks for your answer!
I also thought, that the head gaskets are blown.
But I did a CO2-Test on the coolant bottle/degasbottle. And there is no CO2 in it.

If the head gaskets are blown the high pressure in the coolant system comes from exhaust gases, that are pressed into the coolant system. Exhaust gases are CO2 - so CO2 should be in the system if the hg are blown.

When I coldstart the engine and let it run on idle for a couple of minutes (I tested up to 20Minutes) there is no pressure in the system - everything works fine up to ~190℉.
But if the temperature reaches ~195℉ there is high pressure on the system.

Don't knowing what the problem is, I drive the truck for ~7000mls with this symptoms. I think with blown head gaskets the engine should have gone the long way to nirvana...

Or do I have completely wrong thoughts?
yep, I did the exhaust gas test three times with an indication of no gasses present. But, in the end I had what I had. I also had two ford techs check it out. You might want to go and read my threads, they are long but I had a lot of help on this forum. look in august or september last year. The circumstances just sound very similat. I towed my 17,000 lb trailer about 5000 miles and across the Rocky mountains twice and the only symptom was the puking. And it didn't do that every time, just on the hard pulls. I'm not sure why the test I mentioned indicates only an HG issue. It seems like the EGR could also cause the elevated pressure but I guess not. I hope it is not your HGs but it sure sounds like my truck. Do you have a tuner? I'm not 100% but I think I blew mine towing on an elevated tune. I didn't mean to but I forgot to turn the H&S back to stock tune and I towed over a steep pull.

Old 04-11-2014, 03:02 AM
Mr Boogie
New User
Hello everyone!

You guys helped me so much, I have to give you an update.

I checked my thermostats and deleted them. Without the thermostats I drove for some km and there was the same problem.

Because of the high pressure in the system my radiator starts leaking.

Now my truck is in the shop. I ordered some new Viktor Reinz head gaskets, A.R.P. head studs, mishimoto radiator, updated upper hose and new thermostats.

I hope my truck will work fine after repair.
Do you think I have to update anything else?

Greetings Philipp

Old 04-11-2014, 05:05 AM
senix
Super Moderator
while the motor is out check the idler and tensioner pulleys for excess wear.

Old 04-11-2014, 05:07 AM
Mr Boogie
New User
Thanks!
I already changed them 15.000mls ago.

Old 04-11-2014, 07:30 AM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Sounds like you covered everything. That's pretty close to what I did last year. Problem is 2000 miles later I got hit in the rear by a drynk driver and she totaled my truck. So, keep an eye out for drunks.

Old 04-11-2014, 09:20 AM
Mr Boogie
New User
Hi Stanley!

In your signature you write, that your engine was bulletproof -> what else did you do on it?

My truck is also deleted (EGR & DPF) and tuned (H&S).

Maybe I need a tail-pushbar...

Old 04-11-2014, 09:31 AM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by Mr Boogie
Hi Stanley!

In your signature you write, that your engine was bulletproof -> what else did you do on it?

My truck is also deleted (EGR & DPF) and tuned (H&S).

Maybe I need a tail-pushbar...
Pretty much what you did, HGs, studs, water pump, thermostats, EGR block off. (I elected the block instead of removal in case I wanted to trade or sell the truck it would be an easy reverse). I also got the updated rad hoses and coolant tank. i had it done at Bill Hewitts powerstroke INC. I happen to live not far from there. On edit: I already had the delete and tuner and had the tranny built in 2012. So I was looking forward to many many miles (had 75K on when I did it) of trouble free towing when I got hit.

Old 07-06-2015, 12:24 AM
leehuss
New User

my truck has been doing the same thing. did you loose ac when the water was coming out of the cap?

Old 02-15-2017, 09:00 AM
E.Nelson
New User
I am also having this same issue. the only thing different is I live in northern Indiana and I noticed this winter when under acceleration I get heat. when I pull up to a stop light it gets very cold again. Think mine is head gasket also?

Old 02-15-2017, 09:09 AM
senix
Super Moderator
classic sign of a headgasket issue.

Pressure test the system.

Be sure that you have coolant in the degas bottle when cold.

Old 02-15-2017, 09:17 AM
E.Nelson
New User
I have done a pressure test of the coolant system and it held up. no lose of pressure (cant remember how high we took it) and I keep adding coolant cause I am scared its going to run low so it stays well at the line when cold check it every couple days.

Old 02-15-2017, 09:35 AM
senix
Super Moderator
so look at the drivers side wheel well. At an angle you can see into the side of the radiator. See if you can see any evidence of a leak there.

Also it might be a good idea to replace the degas bottle cap. A $5 dollar part but then eventually do not hold the pressure like they should. 16 lbs of pressure is what you should be seeing.

Any white smoke or sweet smelling exhaust?

Old 02-15-2017, 09:38 AM
E.Nelson
New User
looked in there a few times havnt noticed anything special. also have went through 3 caps just cause its cheap and common with no help. theres is a few puffs of white smoke upon a very cold start like in the 10-20 degrees and goes away quick. I don't notice and sweet smelling exhaust. and I sure love the smell of diesel fuel!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Problems with the 6.4 Powerstroke; Coolant blows off