To Spray (liner) or to not to Spray?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2014, 01:31 PM
SummerBaby250
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To Spray (liner) or to not to Spray?

I keep hearing horror stories about spray in liner, like

and I was wondering what everyone on here was doing?

I was looking into alternatives like these Ford Bed Liner - Ford Truck Bedliners by DualLiner --- but input would be awesome!

Old 03-20-2014, 02:31 PM
thomabb
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Any spray in bed liner should be regularly treated with UV protectant, especially the colored ones. If it is installed correctly.and taken care of properly, a Rhino Liner will last a long time. I wish I had one in my current truck, but the bed had already started to rust when I bought it and you can't Rhino Line rust.

The end of the video where the paint is being sanded, is exactly what should happen to make sure the liner adheres. Areas where the liner peels of are due to poor surface prep.

Find an installer with a good reputation and references.

Old 03-20-2014, 02:36 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,090 Likes on 2,154 Posts
i do not use rhinoliner, i feel it is way overpriced.
we have been use the herculiner roll/spray on bed liner at the body shop for over 10 years, and never had one come back due to peeling.
proper preparation of the surface to be covered is the key. we use wire wheels and grinders to properly scuff the area, blow off with compressed air, then tack rag, and finish the cleaning process with an acetone rag.

Old 03-20-2014, 05:16 PM
83capril
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had a truck that had a Line-X spray in bed liner. It was great and must have been well done. Like anything else prep work is key to getting it to last. I would never use a rubber mat unless it was only temporarily. The slide in plastic liners are ok but I would still remove them once in awhile to clean the bed from the stuff that may blow under them.

Old 03-20-2014, 05:44 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,090 Likes on 2,154 Posts
Originally Posted by 83capril
I had a truck that had a Line-X spray in bed liner. It was great and must have been well done. Like anything else prep work is key to getting it to last. I would never use a rubber mat unless it was only temporarily. The slide in plastic liners are ok but I would still remove them once in awhile to clean the bed from the stuff that may blow under them.

i bought my 02 from a landscaper. for 5 years they never once removed the plastic liner.
when i got it the first thing i did was remove the plastic bed liner and scrape the 2 1/2 inches of dirt, wood chips, grass clippings, and stone out of the bed. but those 5 years was enough to rot the floor of the bed out from the top down.
i got another 3 years out of it before i fell through it.
when i removed the bed it only weighed 214 lbs over the scales at the scrap yard.
this is compared to the new bed i put on that weighed 485 lbs with 1 1/2 gallons of herculiner sprayed on it.

Old 03-21-2014, 05:40 PM
Maxium4x4
Super Moderator
Received 3,382 Likes on 2,081 Posts
Video explains it all, crap install. No problems with a spray in for me but never had one color matched like the red he shows.

Old 03-22-2014, 06:53 PM
Bazillions
Senior User
I'm on my second Line-X. The one in my F-150 looked new after six years. Had one sprayed in my Superduty when I bought it ~ a year ago. Both times they prepped it well, removed bolts and in the SD case removed fifth wheel prep plugs, and gave it a good even coating. Really satisfied.

Old 03-26-2014, 10:54 AM
SummerBaby250
New User
Originally Posted by thomabb
Any spray in bed liner should be regularly treated with UV protectant, especially the colored ones. If it is installed correctly.and taken care of properly, a Rhino Liner will last a long time. I wish I had one in my current truck, but the bed had already started to rust when I bought it and you can't Rhino Line rust.

The end of the video where the paint is being sanded, is exactly what should happen to make sure the liner adheres. Areas where the liner peels of are due to poor surface prep.

Find an installer with a good reputation and references.
There's colored spray in liners? Interesting...

I ordered the component system, it was cheaper so...I'll give my input on that when I get it.

Old 03-26-2014, 11:02 AM
frankcollins2
New User
surface prep

I concur with everyone about surface prep. Also rhino is pricy, but it is not a bad product. I don't like it because it becomes sticky especially in heat. On a hot day, rhino will leave black marks on your jeans for instance. Spray in is in my opinion the way to go, perhaps with a rubber mat on the bottom to protect against drops that would bend metal. the corrosion protection is bar none though.

Old 03-26-2014, 11:52 AM
parkland
Lead Driver
I have a plastic liner, I pull it back and look once in a while, and pour oil on the bed underneath, to hopefully keep rust away. It looks the same as years ago.

Those stick on linings, are great, I know lots of people that have them.
They do absorb a small % of moisture, so I imagine that if there is any scratches or poor prep work when it gets applied, it could rot under.

Basically I think it could be a great product, but it should be applied over a water tight coating, otherwise could promote rust and delamination.

Old 03-27-2014, 06:58 AM
wingedone
Tuned
My 08 F350 I bought used had Line-x and I never had any problems with it. Thought it was great.

Being lazy, I opted for the Ford spray-on when I ordered my 13. It has been excellent also.

Old 03-27-2014, 08:24 PM
Maxium4x4
Super Moderator
Received 3,382 Likes on 2,081 Posts
I saw Rhino lining at a trade show in the late 80's, the installer/Dealer is the make or break. One point is where the product is sprayed over and edge, not abutted, where you could possibly get under and peel the product.

Done right, it is the best thing you could invest in.