Sponsored by: Moser

color coming off king ranch leather

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2014, 01:50 AM
bigblueknight
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
color coming off king ranch leather

I bought my 2013 king ranch in november. I haven't had any problems with it until lately, I've started noticing spots where the it looks like the color of the leather has worn off and is showing black underneath. theres a spot on the top part of the steering wheel it is showing black areas in the leather where it looks like the brown has just rubbed off. I also have an about 4 inch long 1/8 wide strip on the driver seat where i get in and out that is black and seems to keep getting bigger. I condition my seats at least twice a month with lexol and haven't seen any issues with wrinkling or cracking just these two spots where it looks the color has rubbed off or come off the leather in some way. What do I do/ can I do about this? is this a warranty issue?

Old 03-20-2014, 07:33 AM
QwkTrip
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Is there a reason why you don't ask your dealer this question? Might work better if you tell us the dealer response and then use us to help hatch a plan, if necessary.

Old 03-20-2014, 09:13 AM
bigblueknight
Mountain Pass
I'm going into the dealer today, just wondered if anyone else had experienced anything similar and their end result to remedy the situation was,if the dealer swapped it on warranty or they got told to go pound sand and if they had encountered this problem did they have any ideas to prevent it in the future once the original problem was fixed

Old 03-20-2014, 09:37 AM
RigTrash601
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As new as the vehicle is, I'm sure the dealer will correct it under warranty. I'm just curious as to the reason it is happening. Keep us updated.

Old 03-20-2014, 09:52 AM
cartmanea
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I thought I read that for durability and ease of care the King Ranch seats weren't saddle leather any more, but just regular car seat leather dyed that color. If that's the case, Lexol may not be the best choice for care any more.

Old 03-20-2014, 10:10 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by bigblueknight
I'm going into the dealer today...
Keep us posted on what you hear, bigblueknight. If you need my assistance, just send a PM my way with your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership. I'll check out ways to help.

Crystal

Old 03-20-2014, 10:55 AM
bigblueknight
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by RigTrash601
As new as the vehicle is, I'm sure the dealer will correct it under warranty. I'm just curious as to the reason it is happening. Keep us updated.
I hope so, I would really like to know why it's doing it as well. If I wasn't doing the best that I know of to take care of the leather, then it would make perfect sense to me, I'm a dummy and should have taken care of it.
Originally Posted by FordService
Keep us posted on what you hear, bigblueknight. If you need my assistance, just send a PM my way with your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership. I'll check out ways to help.

Crystal
Thank you

Old 03-22-2014, 10:51 PM
RigTrash601
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Any updates on the cause and solution to the problem?

Old 05-03-2014, 08:19 AM
cmksman
New User
Updates?

BBK,

What did the dealer tell you about your KR seat issue? I have a 2014 KR on order and I am curious what they report as the issue.

C.

Old 05-07-2014, 12:57 PM
lsukevinc
Freshman User
a co worker of mine is having the same trouble with a 2012 F 250 king ranch. it seems like the newer king ranch leather is only a "pleather" topping and numerous people have reported it shearing off of the undercoating.

Old 05-08-2014, 06:31 AM
meborder
Received 365 Likes on 260 Posts
don't know if it will help anyone or not, but here's a thread on the topic in the Super Duty forum:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...nch-seats.html

Old 05-11-2014, 01:38 PM
bigblueknight
Mountain Pass
sorry for taking so long to get back to everyone about this issue. I work out of town (about 6 hours away) doing 10 days on 4 days off rotations. So I'm out of town 20 days a month and I don't have internet access outside of my phone when I'm out of town. The dealer fixed it under warranty, although the service guy i dealt with could have handled the whole thing better but I was assured yesterday when I picked up my truck that he would be dealt with. I took the truck in on friday march 21st and ryan the service guy took pictures and sent it off to ford for approval. I left that monday, he called me back the next time I was in town on april 6 saying it had been approved and the parts were on their way. I tried to schedule for two weeks later on the 17th when i would be back in town but he said he was going to be gone from the 16th -21st which was the entire time I would be in town and we couldn't do it until he got back so we scheduled for may 1st. I had to change that because I had to come back to town one weekend after a 5 day rotation so I was going to be gone on the 1st so we rescheduled for may 9th, this past friday. I showed up at 730 am friday morning, the guy isn't there. He's out of town on vacation again, Brad the service guy handling his appointments had my appointment but there were no notes as to what we were doing. I had to explain to him that the other guy had already gone through ford and got it approved and the parts were here. Brad was great and did his best to make everything right and could understand my frustration. they ended up having the truck all day friday and saturday morning because while I had the truck in the shop I had them put a ride rite air bag and compressor kit on it. brad originally had planned to have it until noon yesterday but he stayed late friday night and came in early saturday to get my truck back to me as fast as possible to try and make up for the previous headaches. I was pretty disappointed in their service department when I dropped my truck off but Brad really made up for it with his diligence in trying make things right. Long story short the seat and steering wheel leather has been replaced and I will exclusively handle any future service needs with Brad.

Old 05-12-2014, 02:40 PM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by bigblueknight
...Long story short the seat and steering wheel leather has been replaced and I will exclusively handle any future service needs with Brad.
Thanks for the update, bigblueknight. If you'd like, I'd be happy to document your feedback about your experience. Just PM me your full name, phone number, dealership name/location, and any details you'd like me to include. I'll do the rest.

Crystal

Old 05-12-2016, 02:32 PM
dohcv6
New User
I am having the same issue on my truck. Its a 2014 bought it brand new. since around 12k the pass seat dye is coming off. Brought it to a Lincoln dealer and they wanted to dye the seat. I said no way. I brought it to a FORD dealer ( Don reid Ford in Maitland) they told me that it was DENIED because it was a stain from Jeans. WTF Jean stain? I am the only one that drives this truck. What can I do? I am really pissed and want my seat fixed.