Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2003, 12:15 AM
ob1bnl
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question belt slippage?????

Hi guys,
Just wondering if anyone else has this issue:

Whenever I either take off @ WOT or downshift and tach @ 4000 or thereabouts.......my charge(battery) light comes on. I assume that the belt must be slipping.
The dealer just replaced the belt & the tensioner, but no difference. It's not like I beat on my truck......but it's annoying when i go to pass grandma on the highway, and my lights dim and dummy light comes on.
Any ideas....????

Old 07-12-2003, 12:25 AM
Racerguy
Hotshot
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
belt slippage?????

If you do a search in the forum I think you'll find another thread about your problem. If I remember right the cure was a new alternator. The belt would have to slip really bad to make the alternator not charge. I dont think it's possible when the rpm is up that high. As long as the alternator is turning much at all it will charge.

Old 07-12-2003, 12:35 AM
Torque1st
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
belt slippage?????

There are several threads around FTE that discuss what to do to fix a slipping serpentine belt. When they get old or oily and slip they polish the pulleys. To fix the problem you have to resurface the pulleys with a little sandpaper and then clean them with some brake cleaner. I don't care how new the belt is at this point you have to replace it with a new one. The surface of the old/new belt has been glazed also...

After you have finished this little project remember to replace the belt at or before the specified intervals and keep oil and antifreeze off the belt.

The quick lube places are famous for dribbling crap all over the belt.