What's routine maintenance for transmission/differential/transfer case?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2003, 10:13 AM
SiO2MAN
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2000 Explorer 4x4 SOHC V6 4.10 LSD, my first Ford, first truck, and first 4x4. It has 52K miles. I don't pay the dealer to give my truck a ride on their lift and figured maybe I should do some maintenance on the drivetrain even though the only thing mentioned in the Scheduled Maintenance book from Ford is to check the transmission fluid. I bought the Haynes manual and they suggest the following:

*Change transmission (5R55E) fluid? Ford says to just check it.
*Change transfer case lubrincant? I don't even see where Ford says to check this
*Change front/rear differential lubricant? Ford says the rear is lubricated for life and doesn't need to be checked unless a leak is suspected or it's been submerged (I'm pretty sure my rear falls into this category). For the front, Ford doesn't say anything about changing/checking it. If recommended, do you know if there is a drain plug on my truck or will I need a suction pump?

So, should I do this stuff, and if so, how urgent is it (I'm going on a trip this weekend, towing a 3000lb trailer 1200 miles round trip)?

Thanks.

Old 07-02-2003, 06:35 PM
rclarke
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you don't know the history of the Explorer I would suggest changing the fluids in at least the transmission and transfer case. Only the fluid in the pan of the transmission can be easily changed and if it looks clean and smells ok thats all you should need to do. The transfer case uses atf also and I have experienced a chattering clutch on old oil sometimes.

Transmission and transfer case use Mercon 5.

When the rear end has limited slip it wouldn't be a bad idea to change that oil too. Check on the proper oil, I think it uses 75/140 or premium 4x4 gear oil. Add 1 bottle of additive to the rear end also.

Old 07-02-2003, 09:24 PM
steve83
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You should do what Haynes says, but you can wait. In fact, the trip will warm everything up and loosen some of the sludge, so the sooner AFTER your trip you change the fluids, the better. Plan on getting a suction pump for the front diff.

Old 07-03-2003, 08:08 AM
SiO2MAN
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys, I'm the original owner. Most of my driving is highway commuting and some around town errand running. It's never been "four wheeling", but I plan to use it on the beach surf fishing as soon as I get the time. We had a snowy winter and the 4wd kicked in a few times, I drove in 4 high, usually not more than a few miles at a time on snow covered roads, and 4 low only for very short distances to get over snow banks left from plows or up an unplowed street during our 2' snow fall. I occasionally tow a boat (3000lbs), probably no more than 1000 miles a year.

rclarke said:

Transmission and transfer case use Mercon 5.
For clarification, my Ford book and Haynes says to use Mercon, not Mercon V, in the transfer case.

Thanks guys, I think I'll do the transfer case and tranny before my trip and the differentials after.

Old 07-03-2003, 10:14 AM
steve83
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The newest formulation of Mercon is #5, so probably all you can buy is Dexron/Mercon V.