2001 F350 won't start-helping 94yro neighbor!

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2014, 03:14 PM
digitalforager
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 F350 won't start-helping 94yro neighbor!

Nicest old guy has run out of steam and has asked me (with limited mechanic skills) to fix his F350. it turns over fine, but does not appear to be receiving fuel. Hear of a fuel shut off switch? fuel pump shut off? or possibly a fuse. It's snowing and he wants to plow! the truck has less than 20K miles *(hard plow miles) Any thoughts appreciated!
THANK YOU!
kc

Old 01-18-2014, 03:30 PM
VMaxman23
Junior User
OK Partner,

List the engine size, gas/diesel, Trans and also what has been done to it recently.
Then we can go from there.
If its a gas engine: get the owners manual and see where the fuel inertia switch is.
If it has tripped you can reset it by pressing the white button down on top and problem is solved. You can at least start there until we get the other info and details from you.

Old 01-18-2014, 09:20 PM
Bigpipes 35
Cargo Master
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Agree with everything that was said above and to repeat check the inertia switch since it is a plow truck it is possible he hit something hard enough to trip it...

Old 01-19-2014, 12:24 PM
jesse5
Senior User
Check the flow of the fuelish filter or just change it.

Old 01-20-2014, 12:35 PM
digitalforager
New User
It's a gas engine (and next I need to see if it's an 8 or 10 cyl). The interia swtich is depressed-so it appears that's not the problem. I'll try the fuel filter next. some one told me it could be a fuse or a relay for the fuel pump.
it only snowed a little-so I plowed him out with my tractor-THANKS FOR THE HELP Gents!

Old 01-20-2014, 02:20 PM
Bigpipes 35
Cargo Master
If the inertia switch is good then my next guess would be the pump itself. I guess the other thing I would look for on a truck that sat that much is wiring chewed up by mice.

Old 01-20-2014, 02:31 PM
digitalforager
New User
it did move this fall-he filled it full of salt and sand! at 94 he is a man prepared. thanks for the help!

Old 01-20-2014, 10:00 PM
VMaxman23
Junior User
OK try this,

Get some starting fluid or carb cleaner and spray it into the throttle body--you'll need to undo the clamp holding the intake ducting to it and have someone or yourself turn the engine over and if it starts, you'll know you have a definite fuel problem. Causes could be: Fuel pump relay, fuel pump, fuel filter could be clogged as well.

If the truck has been sitting for many months, there is a chance the fuel has turned to varnish and is gumming up the system, but I doubt the man would let this happen to his plow truck. A fuel pump can also be working, but fail to pressurize the fuel rail and fuel injectors enough to start the engine and keep it running.
Start with the simple things and check things before you start throwing parts at it.
Let us know what you find and we'll keep going till you find the cause of problem.

Old 01-21-2014, 06:20 AM
digitalforager
New User
Thanks Vmax. Truly appreciate the advice (especially: not throwing money at it-since I'll be the one spending the cash/he's had a bad turn of luck lately/his 70 year old son got murdered in the front yard for one) He's just a great crotchedy ol yankee. You are right-he would not let stuff happen to his gear (a 1959 ford tractor-puffed out-looks new/ford diesel 450? backhoe/ford 250 2011/cub tractor/then the plow truck). They have just yanked his license saying he has dementia (which he doesn't-he's just 94). I told him to keep plowing till they catch him... he just smiles... thanks again!

Old 01-21-2014, 06:58 AM
VMaxman23
Junior User
Glad to help; and thanks for helping your elders. Very sad to hear about his son--keep an eye on him and don't let him stay alone too much--I imagine you'll be plowing with him soon enough.
People can learn so much from the older folks.

If you don't mind, tell us where you are located in case someone is close enough that might be able to help you--I'm in southeast North Carolina so I'm probably too far from you.

Old 01-21-2014, 07:36 AM
digitalforager
New User
In Cumberland Maine. the weeds-about an 2 hours north of portland. I spend a fair amount of time with him-as he says "be neighborly!" Coffee is on at 4am and he is a veritable time machine full of data (I remember the first diesel train-took a picture of it with my brownie camera). He's a great guy. Thanks again!

Old 01-21-2014, 08:21 AM
Bigpipes 35
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by VMaxman23
OK try this,

Get some starting fluid or carb cleaner and spray it into the throttle body--you'll need to undo the clamp holding the intake ducting to it and have someone or yourself turn the engine over and if it starts, you'll know you have a definite fuel problem. Causes could be: Fuel pump relay, fuel pump, fuel filter could be clogged as well.

If the truck has been sitting for many months, there is a chance the fuel has turned to varnish and is gumming up the system, but I doubt the man would let this happen to his plow truck. A fuel pump can also be working, but fail to pressurize the fuel rail and fuel injectors enough to start the engine and keep it running.
Start with the simple things and check things before you start throwing parts at it.
Let us know what you find and we'll keep going till you find the cause of problem.
Starting fluid does not work on the Mod motors so don't waste your time..

Old 03-13-2014, 09:59 PM
VMaxman23
Junior User
I didn't see anymore posts about your neighbors plow truck:

What did you find out with it?
I imagine you guys are still getting the snow there and he still needs it.
I've been on the road for my job and haven't been on the forums for months.

Let us know, OK?

Old 03-14-2014, 10:54 AM
digitalforager
New User
thanks VMax. His family is a pain in the *** (short answer). No luck getting it fired up. Tried to get them to let me tow it to a garage (and PAY for it myself) and they are all weird (like I am trying to steal the truck/frig-I'm just trying to help @ no charge!).
We got a dump of snow yesterday-we'd need his back hoe (a ford) to dig it out to get it on a flatbed. And they have taken away HIS keys to the backhoe (like he might make a run for it?!) WTF) Truly thanks for all the help. He and I are getting along fine-it's his weirdo family messing with a gentleman in his final years. They are all gold diggers-trying to get their mitts on his stuff. I am still plowing his driveway with my tractor till it stops!

Old 03-15-2014, 08:22 AM
VMaxman23
Junior User
That's awful,

My mother married a great guy and then died in an auto accident; and his family is exactly like the weirdo's your friends family are. Absolutely a bunch of protoplasms with a face.
If they don't have power of attorney over his assets, then he should see his attorney and cut all of them out of his will....

Thanks for helping him and doing the right thing. If you need anything else in the future be sure and private message me. My e-mail is in my profile....

Take Care and Thanks again.

Quick Reply: 2001 F350 won't start-helping 94yro neighbor!