1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

You hear about it happening but you never expect to have it happen to you.

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2014, 12:44 PM
flyboy2610
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I just went out and checked my safety catch. Good to go!
You might consider putting a set of hood pins on it. Probably look better than a chain and padlock.

Old 03-15-2014, 12:48 PM
gangstakr
Logistics Pro
Received 55 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by MIKES 68 F100
see how hook is pushed out on this one
1968 Ford Truck Hood Latch F100 F250 | eBay
As Mike pointed out, you have a safety latch but it doesn't seem to be operational. There is a spring that would keep it hooked under the upper valance. When opening your hood you should have to manually push this latch to open hood. It is spring loaded.
Make sure when you get another one that this works as it should.

Old 03-15-2014, 02:14 PM
JEFFFAFA
Hotshot
Received 169 Likes on 149 Posts
Sorry to hear about it Tro. It happened to me with my white 83 Mustang GT years ago. Talk about "snow blind"! Make sure you prep the replacement hood real good and take it to a local Body Shop that custom mixes paint on site. You got a darn sharp truck. I'm sure you want to keep it that way!

Old 03-15-2014, 02:18 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by flyboy2610
I just went out and checked my safety catch. Good to go! You might consider putting a set of hood pins on it. Probably look better than a chain and padlock.
Yup, I did too!I removed it, and trued everything up with that thing. After all these years it might need a little Kentucky windage, but everything should be aligned more or less dead on, and tight. A good flashlight, and cleaned and lubed the mechanism and make sure the catch aligns smartly and deeply into the pocket when released. Still seems like gremlins tho. Argh!

Old 03-15-2014, 04:10 PM
trozei
Postmaster
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by gangstakr
As Mike pointed out, you have a safety latch but it doesn't seem to be operational. There is a spring that would keep it hooked under the upper valance. When opening your hood you should have to manually push this latch to open hood. It is spring loaded.
Make sure when you get another one that this works as it should.
So I'd have to pull the handle to pop it and then push the hook out of the way? I've never used a hood like that before...

Hmm. This sucks. No one ever mentions inspecting hood latches when you buy a truck. I'll be doing that from now on.

Old 03-15-2014, 04:26 PM
trozei
Postmaster
I just checked my latch and my big hook definitely does have a spring action to it, but it doesn't move as far out as the one in that eBay ad.

Old 03-15-2014, 05:57 PM
MIKES 68 F100
Logistics Pro
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
Probably all gooped up with 40 years of crap , give it a good clean and lube . make sure you get full movement .

Old 03-15-2014, 07:20 PM
trozei
Postmaster
That's the thing though. It's clean and greased. Seems to work well.

Old 03-15-2014, 08:22 PM
MrBlue6869
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That is beautiful truck and I really hate to see that kind of damage...any damage for that matter, but I am really glad you shared! I will be checking my three F100s to make sure they all latch properly and securly!

Old 03-15-2014, 08:37 PM
F&M
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've had that happen to 2 66's.But never a bump..I guess I'll be strapping mine down!

Old 03-15-2014, 09:05 PM
trozei
Postmaster
I really hope it doesn't have to happen to anyone else. A new latch and new hinges (originals broke during this fiasco) will run me about $275-325, a hood maybe $200, and then who knows on bodywork and paint to have it looking good again. At least I'm working full time during my spring break to be able to afford this, 'cause I just completely rebuilt and modified my dirtbike and also just bought a car. I'm not exactly loaded with cash right now. I now know for sure that I won't have the money to restore the truck this summer like I planned, but it's in good enough condition that it could wait another decade.

Old 03-15-2014, 11:02 PM
orich
Lead Driver
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Maybe the hood was not adjusted correct. It's possible that the hood latched was to tight
and had to much pull upward against the latch fingers.

If you had to kind of slam the hood for the latch to catch then maybe it was not fully latched the last time you closed the hood. It maybe have finally worked loose..

Just saying possible.
orich

Old 03-15-2014, 11:06 PM
Thipdar
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by trozei
You know what you're looking for. Do I have a safety latch?

It looks to me like you've got both the latch and the safety catch.

If I remember correctly, using the release lever operates both at the same time (no doubt one of Ford's "Better Ideas").

Old 03-15-2014, 11:34 PM
orich
Lead Driver
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Don't look like it's lube very well may be gummed up with painted dirt as well.
That safety catch looks odd that it's not springing open wider to catch when needed.

Not sure when it was standard that all vehicle have the safety catch,

I remember as a kid seeing vehicle in the 40' & early 50's was common thing you'd see while traveling the hwys. of yesteryears. I think most of all us old farts on this site have all been in a vehicle when the hood popped open a few times.
What a rush you get from that!!

Old 03-16-2014, 03:34 AM
fordman75
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Bummer man, hate to see that happen to such a nice looking truck.

I feel your pain though. Been there done that! My first bumpside was a 72 F100 long box. I was on I-35 heading home from school doing about 70mph. I just opened a bottle of mountain dew and went to take a drink and BAM! Nothing but Bahama blue covering the windshield and mountain dew all over everything. I pull the ace ventura move to pull over onto the shoulder and crawl onto the next off ramp. Then I got to unbolt my newly "L" shaped hood and throw it in the box.

The hood hit the roof with enough force that it smashed in the center of the roof top just above the windshield and bent the hood almost to a full 90 degree bend.

After I got the hood pulled I drove to the nearest gas station to clean up ( covered in mountain dew ) and wouldn't you know it my starter on the 390 took a dump! To say the least it wasn't a very good day.

I drove that truck truck hoodless for about 6 months. Then I picked up a used hood. The replacement hood got chained down with a padlock!! If I ever own another bumpside it'll have a pair of hood pins on it!

Quick Reply: You hear about it happening but you never expect to have it happen to you.