1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

99 V10 coolant leak

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 07:40 AM
Auto2438
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99 V10 coolant leak

I have a leak where my heater core tube goes into the intake at the rear pass side of engine. I have read that this part is pressed in. I dont want to remove the intake since i just paid $400 to have a new gasket kit put on. My question is can I bypass this tube with a hose from the water pump like in this video?

If I can do a rubber hose like in the video I was to make sure that the tube just goes through the intake and that it does not supple coolant into the intake??

Old 03-11-2014, 08:12 AM
northwindone
More Turbo
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
You would have a hard time doing this since the heater tube (PN KT20) behind the water pump is metal all the way back, it is not pressed in and just bolts into the rear of the passenger side head. You only need the heater tube and a new o-ring where it pushes into the rear of the water pump. I did have a hard time finding the o-ring though and had to get it from my local dealer and it was quite $$$ for an o-ring.

You will still have to remove the entire intake manifold though to replace the heater pipe, but the repair will be done correctly and will ensure you don't have any other intake manifold leaks since you will need to replace the intake manifold gasket as well. I have a few pictures to show what I'm talking about, I just have to remember my photobucket username and password since I haven't used it in quite a while.

EDIT: I just realized you are probably talking about the pipe show in the rear of the intake in this photo...

If that's the case then bypassing it won't work as that would be for the heater hose running under the intake as shown here...

If it is the first one I imagine you will have to remove the intake and get it brazed to repair the leak as it is pressed in as you mentioned since this tube goes directly from the intake into the rear bank as you can see in the coolant passages in the second picture.

Old 03-11-2014, 09:00 AM
Auto2438
New User
It is the tube that has the 90 in it at the back of the intake. Isnt that the tube that the one under the intake connects to? If thats so couldn't I just bypass the whole tube from the water pump to the heater core?

Or is what you are saying is unlike in the movie which has a rubber hose coming out of the water pump a v10 is steel all the way back.
In which case I just need to have the 90 replaced? If thats so it is pressed in? or is it part of the intake?

Old 03-11-2014, 09:17 AM
northwindone
More Turbo
If you are referring to the one in the picture of the manifold it goes directly from the manifold to the heater core. Below is a close-up of the pipe/hose that goes from the water pump under the intake and then to the heater core.

The second heater core hose, which is hard to see is the one that hooks up to that pipe on the manifold.

Old 03-11-2014, 09:19 AM
Auto2438
New User
ok thx. that is a good pic to explain it.

So can the 90 just be replaced or does is it part of the intake?

Old 03-11-2014, 09:33 AM
northwindone
More Turbo
Glad I was able to help. I honestly don't know if you can replace it, since it is a pressed in assembly I imagine it would be very hard to locate alone. You may have to remove the intake and have it repaired, which I magine would be cheaper than a new intake. I would also consider the salvage yard if it comes down to it.

Also, welcome to FTE! Hopefully you'll stick around and learn some more, this community is very helpful. The pictures are from when I repaired a leak to my intake manifold and on that repair, and several others, I've gotten some great advice.

EDIT: One more thing, if you get a used one be careful. I belive it was in 2000 they changed the configuration of the heater hose pipe out of the intake. I believe the moved it to the front instead. Not sure if this changed anything else that would make it incompatible with your '99.

Old 03-16-2014, 01:32 PM
Auto2438
New User
Does this look funny? is something missing. I was trying to get a good pic of where its leaking from but I cant.

Old 03-16-2014, 01:36 PM
Auto2438
New User
Here is the link to a video. But I still can't seem to find where the leak is at.

DSCN4461_zps85ba5724.mp4 Video by axle2438 | Photobucket

Edit:
I got this video but its not that long. its hard to get a video because i cant watch it while im taking it and i have to get a light bath there too. But if you watch this one I guess it is coming out of where the tube goes.

DSCN4461_zps85ba5724.mp4 Video by axle2438 | Photobucket

Old 03-17-2014, 05:50 AM
Auto2438
New User
Old 03-17-2014, 09:13 AM
northwindone
More Turbo
Something doesn't look quite right there, but I'm trying to figure out what I'm looking at. There is something out of place and I'm not sure how, that hole with the gasket on it shouldn't be showing of course, and if it was I though the entire intake would have to be removed. Even though you have a '99 I'm wondering if your intake/cooling plumbing is different. I'll go take a look at my own truck again when I get a chance, until then hopefully someone else chimes in with an answer.

A friend of mine here at work and I are looking at you pictures and videos, we still haven't figured it out since it doesn't make much sense. We both agree though that whoever did the intake manifold might have messed something up....just not sure how.

Old 03-18-2014, 01:31 AM
Auto2438
New User
I just thought of something. My truck has a older build date and there is two different gasket kits one for before 7/20/98 and one for after. maybe they got the wrong kit

Old 03-18-2014, 12:04 PM
Auto2438
New User
Plus I just got this truck and really only drove it for about three weeks before it started leaking. So maybe it's just the wrong manifold? I still think it's coming out of that tube more when it's cold then after the engine warms up. So I'm hoping if I take it back to the shop that did the gaskets they can fix it. I was just wondering from anyone on here if they knew why that looked so funny.

Old 03-18-2014, 03:06 PM
northwindone
More Turbo
I didn't get a chance to look at my own truck yesterday due to a nasty windstorm, and I'm at work and it's at home right now. But I started thinking yesterday that you might somehow have the wrong intake manifold. I don't know how it would have happened, but something just isn't right with it.

I'm hoping someone who has seen and/or worked on more than a single V10 will look at your thread. The only V10 I've worked on is my own so I don't know much about anything before (from the E-series) or after my own to tell if that is an intake off of a earlier or later one.

Old 07-14-2017, 07:06 PM
mrwrench
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Auto2438
I just thought of something. My truck has a older build date and there is two different gasket kits one for before 7/20/98 and one for after. maybe they got the wrong kit
I have the same problem , how did u solve the leak?

Old 04-11-2018, 09:26 PM
Chasgrimpe
New User
Same issue

Hey I was wondering if you figured out why that intake looked wrong, I just picked up a 99 f250 super duty v10 and rebuilt everything and noticed my intake was the same, seems odd to me that it's like that but you can clearly tell mine has been that way for quite some time based on the corrosion on the mating surfaces.

Quick Reply: 99 V10 coolant leak