Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Humming/ Vibration Noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 01:35 PM
HAMMERDOWN103
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Humming/ Vibration Noise

Still having an issue but was not able to find old thread .... This started after replacing front hubs and switching to new tires 275/70R18 (Take offs from my dad's 2010). Truck is in profile 01 F350 4x4 CC LB. Shop that did the hubs checked them after I mentioned noise and said they were fine. Tightened up-pipes and replaced intermediate drive shaft bearing in attempt to locate cause of sound.

The sound: It sounds like a loud grinding/rubbing sound. Medium to low pitch, does not sound like metal on metal if that makes sense. I have seen no difference in mpg or engine performance. Checked to make sure hubs are unlocked as well. Noise occurs 50+mph when lightly on the throttle. I can make the noise persist with pedal control and it gets increasingly louder as you go further and further above 50mph. No noise when off the throttle or 25%+. I would say in the 10%-25% range is where I can control it and just keep it there as long as I am around 50mph.

Its been probably about a year and it has not gotten better or worse since it started. I need to replace ball joints but don't think those are the cause. Any thoughts on what it could be? To me, the sound is coming from in front of the firewall and I would say to the left side. Don't hear anything while braking, tow/ haul mode makes no difference either. Might be able to feel the vibration but the truck definitely does NOT shake when the noise occurs.

Lift is a 6" tuff country with front leafs and rear blocks. Shocks are probably bad and need to be replaced as well. Truck is completely stock with the exception of a K&N washable filter.

Sorry for the lengthy question, just trying to give as much info on what I and others have done, felt, and heard to help eliminate possibilities.

Any help/ thoughts much appreciated

Old 03-10-2014, 11:39 PM
aawlberninf350
It's a Van Gogh
Received 786 Likes on 575 Posts
A bump, plus questions...

OEM 2010 tires or ? ABS hubs? Does 4X4 work normally? How bad are those ball joints? Sound the same when 4X4 engaged? Or u joints: put it in park and crank the e brake on the rears; give the drive shaft a twist and see if the u joints have some slack.

If you clean/oil the K&N religiously you're good, but if not, ditch it.

Old 03-11-2014, 11:40 AM
HAMMERDOWN103
Senior User
Originally Posted by aawlberninf350
A bump, plus questions...

OEM 2010 tires or ? ABS hubs? Does 4X4 work normally? How bad are those ball joints? Sound the same when 4X4 engaged? Or u joints: put it in park and crank the e brake on the rears; give the drive shaft a twist and see if the u joints have some slack.

If you clean/oil the K&N religiously you're good, but if not, ditch it.
Yes OEM Continentals off a 2010. Yes truck is ABS, will be trying out 4x4 this weekend. Not sure how bad they are, but was told they need to be replaced. I will look into the u-joints, oh and they also re-balanced the driveshaft when they replaced the intermediate bearing between the two shafts.

Old 03-14-2014, 12:09 PM
HAMMERDOWN103
Senior User
No slack in the U-Bolts. I need to take a picture but there is what looks like a rubber ring (roughly 1/2" wide by 2.5" diameter) on the inside of the knuckle on the left side. So it would be to the outside of where the hub actually turns when you turn the wheel. Doesn't seem like that could make the noise but could that indicate something? I also noticed what looks like a broken vent or something from the hub. FYI my dad (Original owner of my truck) is one of the its just a truck so it should run forever about maintenance .... So I'm slowly working on getting everything up to snuff. I'll post pictures this afternoon when I get of work.

Old 03-14-2014, 08:40 PM
crop harvester
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
you mention "broken vent or something",could that be your vacume hose off which would be running vacum pump continuous.

Old 03-17-2014, 02:32 PM
HAMMERDOWN103
Senior User
Possibly, but if that were the case wouldn't I notice that sound all the time? Like I said slowly getting on top of fixing things that should be fixed. I'm going to try and get a picture ....

Old 03-17-2014, 02:45 PM
HAMMERDOWN103
Senior User
How do I attach a picture? Never done it before on the forums ....

Old 03-17-2014, 03:52 PM
Pikachu
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Upload it to photobucket, imgur, or any of the photo sharing sites, and link to it here.

Old 03-18-2014, 12:07 PM
HAMMERDOWN103
Senior User
Okay so still no luck with the picture but found a diagram and the line is the ESOF vacuum line. Any chance that is my issue? Is that something that needs to be replaced quickly???

Old 03-18-2014, 12:18 PM
Crewcab Turbo
Fleet Mechanic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
You say you replaced the intermediate bearing. Do you have a drop spacer under the intermediate bearing? A lift that tall needs one to correct the driveline angle. I had to install one with my 4" lift, I made mine and installed it and my vibration went away. If you don't have one you need one or you will get driveline vibration.

Old 03-18-2014, 01:54 PM
HAMMERDOWN103
Senior User
Hmmm .... I did not install a spacer and not sure if there is one there. I'll have to look. I will be dropping the truck back to stock ride height once I am ready to start making modifications so I'll have to keep that in mind ....

As far as the ESOF vacuum tube, anyone have more info? Read a few things on it but nothing about getting a grinding/ vibrating sound like I am. Guess it wont hurt to replace the tube anyway ....

Old 03-18-2014, 02:08 PM
Crewcab Turbo
Fleet Mechanic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by HAMMERDOWN103
Hmmm .... I did not install a spacer and not sure if there is one there. I'll have to look. I will be dropping the truck back to stock ride height once I am ready to start making modifications so I'll have to keep that in mind .....
If there is no spacer I would bet that's the cause of the vibration. My spacer is home maid, I'm going by memory so it's aprox 1" thick 2" wide and 6" long piece of aluminum bar stock with a hole in each end for the bolts. It gets put under the bearing mount to lower the bearing. Just need longer screws.

Old 03-18-2014, 02:19 PM
HAMMERDOWN103
Senior User
Just a question, why haven't I felt the vibration before? The lift has been on the truck almost right after my dad bought it (Original Owner). Seems weird that it would start that suddenly ....

Old 03-19-2014, 01:53 PM
HAMMERDOWN103
Senior User
ESOF= Electronic Shift On the Fly???

If so, does that mean just turn the switch in the cab and I'm done? Didn't think this technology was on this old of a truck .... Dad's 10 has it and I think it is pretty cool.

Old 03-19-2014, 03:14 PM
JOHN2001
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by HAMMERDOWN103
ESOF= Electronic Shift On the Fly???

If so, does that mean just turn the switch in the cab and I'm done? Didn't think this technology was on this old of a truck .... Dad's 10 has it and I think it is pretty cool.
Correct....

When the drive shaft was apart was it greased? If there's no grease it will create a noise that you'll swear is going from the front. Which is one more reason I opted to have a grease zurk installed when I had my new ds made. No more pulling the ds to grease the splines anymore.

Quick Reply: Humming/ Vibration Noise