New Custom Made Chassis - it's Beautiful! - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

New Custom Made Chassis - it's Beautiful!

Old 03-08-2014, 09:03 PM
Senior User

jerry_s is starting off with a positive reputation.
New Custom Made Chassis - it's Beautiful!

Well it's finished. I just have to go rent a truck and trailer to pick her up, probably next weekend. Here are some pics, hope you enjoy!

Old 03-08-2014, 09:13 PM
Posting Guru

Rimrock F1 has much to be proud ofRimrock F1 has much to be proud ofRimrock F1 has much to be proud ofRimrock F1 has much to be proud ofRimrock F1 has much to be proud ofRimrock F1 has much to be proud ofRimrock F1 has much to be proud ofRimrock F1 has much to be proud of
Yes it is! Congratulations! Now the pressure of living up to a start like that.
Old 03-08-2014, 09:14 PM
Post Fiend

Harrier has much to be proud ofHarrier has much to be proud ofHarrier has much to be proud ofHarrier has much to be proud ofHarrier has much to be proud ofHarrier has much to be proud ofHarrier has much to be proud ofHarrier has much to be proud ofHarrier has much to be proud ofHarrier has much to be proud of
Wow, now that's impressive.
I don't get out much. Tell me about that differential. I've never seen brakes inside like that.
Clutch pedal, I like that as well as the look when you have the brake pedal on the floor like that.
What are you going to put on top of that beautiful chassis? Motor, body, etc.
Old 03-08-2014, 09:22 PM
Postmaster

topmoo has a brilliant futuretopmoo has a brilliant futuretopmoo has a brilliant futuretopmoo has a brilliant futuretopmoo has a brilliant futuretopmoo has a brilliant futuretopmoo has a brilliant futuretopmoo has a brilliant futuretopmoo has a brilliant futuretopmoo has a brilliant futuretopmoo has a brilliant future
Should be fun to paint, either take it all apart again or do a lot of taping/masking. Really an outstanding piece of work!! Ditto on what Joe said, the brakes and the rear end - what are they from?
Old 03-08-2014, 09:30 PM
Senior User

I hear ya about living up to a start like that - it's already got me worried ;-)

Painting is something I'm just starting to decide on. I'm about 90% sure it's going to be something like grey/smoke.

The rear-end is a kugel. It's based off the ford 9-inch, but this one is an independent rear suspension. I has a 3.50 ratio. I believe it came in 3.73 and 3.5.

It's configured for a coyote 302 and Tremec T-56. I will have to wait till Summit racing has another one of those 10% sales. When the other member posted it and I finally saw it, it was too late.
Old 03-08-2014, 09:39 PM
Postmaster

harleymsn is a splendid one to beholdharleymsn is a splendid one to beholdharleymsn is a splendid one to beholdharleymsn is a splendid one to beholdharleymsn is a splendid one to beholdharleymsn is a splendid one to behold
Dang, that rear end cost more than some guys have in their whole trucks.......Starting at $8,520.00
Kugel Komponents, Independent Front Suspension
Old 03-08-2014, 09:41 PM
Senior User

Yes, it's nice. Looking back I might have gone in a different direction, but it was so eye catching early on in the decision process and I wanted a modern feeling ride to the truck (yes I know, leafs have been used since the 1800's and can be made to feel 'just as nice')
Old 03-08-2014, 10:25 PM
Senior User

tigerfan79 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Wow....not sure if I would want to build a truck on that or put it in my dining room with a large piece of glass on it for a new table. That is beautiful work!
Old 03-08-2014, 11:00 PM
Senior User

I had a friend in high school that had a '72 Dodge challenger that I just loved. He would barely drive it at all - wanting to preserve it or something like that.

I wanted to avoid that for this truck - I wanted something that was gonna be a semi-daily-driver, but I could see myself wanting to keep it locked up in the garage to prevent the chassis from getting dirty and scratched!
Old 03-08-2014, 11:03 PM
Elder User

smallello has a great reputation on FTE.smallello has a great reputation on FTE.smallello has a great reputation on FTE.smallello has a great reputation on FTE.
That is really nice.

Jaguar IRS has the disks on the inside too. Jaguar Rear End (IRS) Specifications | phrog blog

Old 03-08-2014, 11:04 PM
Senior User

what year jaguar did that come off of and is it cheaper than $8,500? (probably shouldn't know the second half of that answer:-)
Old 03-08-2014, 11:29 PM
Elder User

smallello has a great reputation on FTE.smallello has a great reputation on FTE.smallello has a great reputation on FTE.smallello has a great reputation on FTE.
Not sure what year it came out of. The link in the post has the specs for the Jag irs.
Old 03-09-2014, 12:01 AM
Elder User

I think they look like this when they come out of the donor car. Obviously needs some clean up.

Old 03-09-2014, 12:07 AM
Senior User

I still like how that looks. I like the shape of the housing on the Kugel a little better, but I would be happy with either on the truck.

Edit:
Part of the jaguar rear-end: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jaguar-IRS-Solid-Rotor-Conversion-Up-Grade-Kit-/181337204701?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a388a27dd
It looks like I could have had something similar to the kugel for about half the price or better.

Problem is, I don't have the space to work here in Cali like I did in Ohio or NY (upstate). I had thought about having a lot of the parts sent to NY (my dad has a large farm and plenty of space) but I know it would have taken years before I sold it off about 75% completed! So for my first major project, I had to have some of the heavy lifting "outsourced".

But I didn't know the jag rear-end was that beautiful.

Edit #2:
It looks like someone else did it with the jag rear end and it looks quite nice: http://www.1956f100.com/Build/rear_axle.htm

Though I know myself, the previous couple paragraphs sum me up pretty well. I would have stalled half-way to mostly through it and it would just have sat in my dad's barn.
Old 03-09-2014, 09:03 AM
Postmaster

topmoo has a brilliant futuretopmoo has a brilliant futuretopmoo has a brilliant futuretopmoo has a brilliant futuretopmoo has a brilliant futuretopmoo has a brilliant futuretopmoo has a brilliant futuretopmoo has a brilliant futuretopmoo has a brilliant futuretopmoo has a brilliant futuretopmoo has a brilliant future
If you have the money why not? Lots of people spend a lot of money on very fancy and nice new cars, but not near as much fun. Looks like you have a great start and if buying already done parts gets it on the road faster by years why not!