1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Help me find the right fuel pump?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2016, 04:38 AM
StrawHat
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Help me find the right fuel pump?

See pics below....We’ve got a Ford inline-6 on an old Asplundh chipper. Block number is EBP-6015-L, and not far to the left is OFI 11 . According to the block number, and the placement of exhaust and carb on the left (driver) side, it appears to be a 1955/59 215 or 223 (which I learned thanks to member NumberDummy here: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/7...-6015-1-a.html).

I need to replace the leaking mechanical fuel pump. The part has “AC” embossed on one side, and the number 90140775 stamped on the other along the side of the mount. I haven’t been able to find a number match or cross reference for it online or through auto parts stores. The "AC" embossed on it is in the old logo style of AC Delco, even a call to their customer service came up with nothing.

However, while looking at the removed fuel pump I noticed the ‘bowl’ is thin steel shaped from a press, not cast metal like the mount. (Don't let the paint fool you, they're different materials.) Further, the mount and bowl were pressed together during manufacturing. I don’t believe that type of manufacturing existed in the 1950s. Due to that and the AC Delco looking characters I’m concluding the removed mechanical fuel pump is probably an earlier replacement and not the original.

The auto parts store does have a mechanical fuel pump for 1955/64 215 and 223 motors here: http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...0401&ppt=C0025. The local store had it in stock so I took it out of the box and compared it to ours. The mount is the same, I checked with calipers. The two look similar in almost all ways, even the overall shape and angle of the plunger arm. But the outer tip of their plunger arm is just different enough to give me concern; the width is a little narrower, and a ‘sleeve’ on the outer tip is not springy like the sleeve on our removed pump. I'm wondering if the springy quality of the sleeve on our pump's plunger may have served to give it grab action when compressed during operation. To clarify, I'm talking about a springiness for the sleeve on the outer tip of the plunger arm on the removed pump (shown in closeup, second pic down) which makes it look like a pair of nail clippers, and not the actual spring at the fulcrum or base of plungers in mechanical pumps that enable the plunger to work the diaphram.

I’m kind of thinking we were getting by on an old imposter pump, and the correct pump is the one listed and in stock at the auto parts store. I wanted opinions here first.

Thanks in advance.

Old 02-03-2016, 07:22 AM
52 USCG Panel
Logistics Pro
Received 867 Likes on 423 Posts
I have have a 1952 F1 with an original 215cid I6 engine. I was able to get a correct replacement fuel pump for it locally from an auto parts store. My replacement pump even allowed me to continue using the original glass bowl from my old pump--everything matched up--no leaks. Good luck and welcome!

Old 02-03-2016, 01:17 PM
Mixer man
Logistics Pro
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Since the pump is actuated by an eccentric lobe on the cam, I'm guessing that your old pump was designed to fit multiple applications. AC is/was supplying many aftermarket applications. Personally, I would go with your local auto parts store.

Old 02-03-2016, 02:20 PM
drptop70ss
Cargo Master
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Looks amazingly like a FP from a mid 1970s chevy 350.

Old 02-03-2016, 02:34 PM
StrawHat
New User
Sounds reasonable, Mixer. Thanks.

Old 02-03-2016, 06:29 PM
bigwin56f100
Lead Driver
Received 835 Likes on 473 Posts
I have a NOS one if it would make you feel better but if it were me Id use the parts store one

Old 02-03-2016, 07:29 PM
toby tough
Posting Guru
You could always go with an electric one too.

Old 02-03-2016, 08:51 PM
StrawHat
New User
Originally Posted by toby tough
You could always go with an electric one too.
I was wondering about that. Could have gone that route but picked up mechanical pump this afternoon. I was thinking if I went with electric I'd need to find a plate to replace the old unit, but just realized all I'd have to do is cap off it's ports. Will keep it as Plan-B.

Old 02-04-2016, 03:49 PM
StrawHat
New User
Thumbs up Successful transplant.

Success! Running better than ever. Went with Precision pump pictured above. Thanks all.

Old 05-02-2017, 06:24 PM
stroyer
New User
I am looking for a fuel pump that does not exist. I am very certain that it is original but Maybe not. Glass bowl directly on top. One just like it on my spare 53. I like the fact that I can see fuel clearly at two places. Fuel pump and carb, so is the original a plan Janer like the one posted above? What is befuddling me is that the diaphragm is the same as many others but not available.Ford P#9398. So may have to give in and order one that they say is the right one without being able to show me what it looks like. The whole 215 and 223 and 226 jet Clipper thing is driving me nuts. I have been convinced of things that weren't true before! Pictures coming soon.

Old 05-02-2017, 06:42 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
Problem is, even if you can find a diaphragm, if it is new old stock it will likely be brittle or "dry rotted" by now, and even so, would not be tolerant of modern fuel with ethanol or whatever else they use these days.

Old 05-02-2017, 07:06 PM
52 USCG Panel
Logistics Pro
Received 867 Likes on 423 Posts
I'd do what StrawHat did. Strange as it may seem, auto parts stores do seem to have fuel pumps that work in Ford I6 engines like ours. I had good luck with my auto parts store purchase, and as mentioned, i was even able to use my original cool glass bowl with it. I bet you too could score a cool glass bowl in a local salvage yard. I know of at least 3 places in my vicinity where i could look.

Old 05-02-2017, 07:50 PM
CBeav
Elder User
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I've got a NOS fuel pump with a glass bowl and a vacuum pump sitting on the floor next to my left foot. I have no use for it, don't need the vacuum pump as my truck came with stock electric wipers. Someone make me an offer (I know this isn't the place to advertise but since it was the subject, sorta...) Being NOS I'm not guaranteeing it as usable without a kit. I'd be happy to get postage and a six pack out of it.

Old 05-02-2017, 08:06 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
I wonder if soaking these old pumps in an oil or fuel mixture for several days might ease them back onto active duty status versus just installing them dry and expecting them to perform from the git go.

Old 05-02-2017, 09:56 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Originally Posted by stroyer
...The whole 215 and 223 and 226 jet Clipper thing is driving me nuts. I have been convinced of things that weren't true before! Pictures coming soon.
You absolutely do not have a 226. The difference between a 215 and a 223 is easily determined by looking where the distributor is, see below. As I recall, a 215 FP will not work on a 223 and vice versa, but I can't swear to it.

Quick Reply: Help me find the right fuel pump?