YOUR OPINION: Is Ford Falling Behind in the HD Truck Market? - Page 4 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > General > Ford vs The Competition
Reload this Page >

YOUR OPINION: Is Ford Falling Behind in the HD Truck Market?

Notices
Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

YOUR OPINION: Is Ford Falling Behind in the HD Truck Market?

  #46  
Old 04-04-2014, 06:54 PM
cb_13's Avatar
cb_13
cb_13 is offline
Elder User
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: St James, Missouri
Posts: 987
cb_13 has a very good reputation on FTE.cb_13 has a very good reputation on FTE.cb_13 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by Go Big or Go Home! View Post
FORD did not repay the loan back fast, they still owe. The stock is irrelevant to the idea that only GMC/Chrsyler took bailout. FORD did too, they just chose to go and borrow money from FED and restructure then declare bankruptcy and stick there handout. Either way the BIG 3 all took taxpayer monies, just different amounts..But FORD used it as a rally cry to act like they were strong and the rest were weak..If FORD didn't borrow the funds they would have been right alongside GMC/Chrysler with there hand out..didn't mean to change subject, but FORD trucks are the best built for the long haul..
Officially the money loaned to Ford was part of a government program to help fund R&I for electric cars. Money was also loaned to Nissan, Tesla and Fisker under this program. You are correct that it has not been repayed yet.
 
  #47  
Old 04-06-2014, 01:44 PM
monckywrench
monckywrench is offline
Posting Guru
Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 2,157
monckywrench is a splendid one to beholdmonckywrench is a splendid one to beholdmonckywrench is a splendid one to beholdmonckywrench is a splendid one to beholdmonckywrench is a splendid one to beholdmonckywrench is a splendid one to beholdmonckywrench is a splendid one to behold
So long as the money gets repayed the intent of the loan is preserved.

Global business reality is that business and government must and will work together to COMPETE or those who do will beat them.

As to HD trucks, they either function to make a profit or they do not. They work well in fleet use or they do not.

If I look for one I'll ask fleet mechanics what they'd buy since fleet users beat their trucks like rented mules.
 
  #48  
Old 04-16-2014, 05:44 PM
snowdog79's Avatar
snowdog79
snowdog79 is offline
Posting Guru
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Jackson Hole, WY
Posts: 1,131
snowdog79 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Why is the 5.9 Cummins the most popular diesel swap into an old Ford? Because the Dodge the Cummins was in fell apart around it, but the old Ford is still worth putting the effort into.
 
  #49  
Old 04-13-2016, 10:53 AM
Rickyrobert's Avatar
Rickyrobert
Rickyrobert is offline
Senior User
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Caledon, On
Posts: 232
Rickyrobert is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Rickyrobert is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by Go Big or Go Home! View Post
The problem with gauging competition (Ram/Chevy) is that the FORD truck owner is loyal to FORD and doesn't care what problem child they produce. What it takes is a FORD owner is to try another brand, they could be pleasantly surprised of the quality/reliability/capability of another brand, but with what trucks cost today , who wants to take a leap of faith..American Truck makers are the worst in Initial Quality Survey's.. so that tells me that Chevy and Ram have there issues to..Before I would buy the competition, I would have to see JD Power,Consumer Reports, and Edmunds, KBB and the like say the RAM has the highest customer satisfaction scores for at least 2-3 years,, to tell me there focused on building a reliable truck..To me just because a Truck maker adds the bells/whistles doesn't mean there going to work flawlessly w/o issue for the life of truck,, just look at the MFT, and Ford options..I went to my drop taxes off yesterday and while waiting there was a 2014 Consumer Reports Best of Book,, picked it up and went right to small SUV's to see who they had ranked as the best..Didn't surprise me any that the 2014 Subaru Forester was rated far/away best SUV. Having bought my wife one last year,,This SUV is quality from top/bottom,,everything works and not one hiccup..Never been to dealer for repairs,,heck they never even pitched an extended warranty during the sale...They know there product is quality/reliable. But FORD, heck if you don't buy the extended warranty your gonna pay the price,,so what does that say about our trucks!!
thats the truth my 2011 150 blew pretty much evrey thing and i went back and bought 2 MORE
 
  #50  
Old 04-13-2016, 05:31 PM
tjc transport's Avatar
tjc transport
tjc transport is offline
i ain't rite
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Marlboro Mental Hospital
Posts: 48,073
tjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by snowdog79 View Post
Why is the 5.9 Cummins the most popular diesel swap into an old Ford? Because the Dodge the Cummins was in fell apart around it, but the old Ford is still worth putting the effort into.
no, it is because a 5.9 is like a 350 chevy. even a blind retarded one handed monkey can make one run.
 
  #51  
Old 04-14-2016, 11:35 PM
FordmanNJ's Avatar
FordmanNJ
FordmanNJ is offline
Posting Guru
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1,059
FordmanNJ has a great reputation on FTE.FordmanNJ has a great reputation on FTE.FordmanNJ has a great reputation on FTE.FordmanNJ has a great reputation on FTE.FordmanNJ has a great reputation on FTE.FordmanNJ has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by tjc transport View Post
no, it is because a 5.9 is like a 350 chevy. even a blind retarded one handed monkey can make one run.
Reps sent for that comment alone. Too funny about the 350 chevy.
 
  #52  
Old 11-06-2017, 05:04 AM
T diesel
T diesel is offline
Posting Guru
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Sterling, ct.
Posts: 1,724
T diesel has a very good reputation on FTE.T diesel has a very good reputation on FTE.T diesel has a very good reputation on FTE.
Yes. At least in New England. I see MANY more Ram cummins in the
commercial market.
 
  #53  
Old 11-06-2017, 08:35 AM
tjc transport's Avatar
tjc transport
tjc transport is offline
i ain't rite
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Marlboro Mental Hospital
Posts: 48,073
tjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputation
here in Joisey you still see 5 Fords for one of the other brands.
 
  #54  
Old 11-15-2017, 11:45 AM
RXT
RXT is offline
New User
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 5
RXT is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by snowdog79 View Post
Why is the 5.9 Cummins the most popular diesel swap into an old Ford? Because the Dodge the Cummins was in fell apart around it, but the old Ford is still worth putting the effort into.
Originally Posted by tjc transport View Post
no, it is because a 5.9 is like a 350 chevy. even a blind retarded one handed monkey can make one run.
Oh you guys….you just crack me up. Why is the 5.9 Cummins the most popular diesel to swap? It's because it's better. It's a much simpler design, it's easy to service, it's anvil tough, it's simple and cheaper to turn up and it enjoys huge after market support. Ford went thru what? Four different diesels to get it right? Yet the Cummins is still beating them with that same basic 30 yr old design. Who really bothers to do a swap using a 6.9-7.3 IDI or a 7.3 PS, or a 6.0 PS, or a 6.7 PS….. no one! They all choose the Cummins. And get this, even Ford had spec'ed out their medium duty trucks with the 6BT, instead of their own offerings.

Sure Dog, you could argue that a Dodge falls apart around the engine. The Ford would too, if it came with an engine that has a service life expectancy thats over 350K. Of course you may feel thats it worth the effort to install a Cummins into a Ford….it's too bad that Ford didn't themselves feel that way, otherwise they could have had the contract with Cummins, instead of Chrysler….In fact they still can. Cummins isn't exclusive to any manufacturer. They currently provide another diesel to Nissan for use in the Titan HD. But they wanted to go their own way and produce their own engines after they fell out with International.

And tic, yes! A blind, retarded, one handed monkey can make one run. Thats the beauty of it! Not only can he make one run, he can turn it up, and he'd have far more options than if he tried to do the same with a 6.9/7.3 IDI/ 7.3 PS/ 6.0PS/ 6.7 PS. That would make him one smart monkey! OTOH what would you call the poor frustrated soul who had to work on any of the IDI's or Powerstrokes? (usually half stuffed under the firewall in a SD) …A Ford dealer mechanic…Wouldn't you rather be a monkey too?

​​​​​​​Ed
 
  #55  
Old 11-22-2017, 08:16 AM
Xsuperdutyfan
Xsuperdutyfan is offline
Senior User
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 157
Xsuperdutyfan is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Having owned both newer models I can say these are two totally different trucks. Ram 2500 is a beast with a smooth ride and a interior like a Bently but needs to get amped up a bit. There is no reason this truck is not 400+ HP this motor would laugh at that. The interior is awesome just needs a few tweaks and more technology. Cockpit is narrow they need to make console a bit smaller love the fatter steering wheel. Hate Ram boxes takes up too much of bed but I can see a contractor liking them. Not really sure what the designers do all day but such simple things that could make it so much better. Ram's biggest problem is quality control they have none. These new trucks have more problems than any I have ever seen. Our truck came broke from the factory had to wait on a part to even pick it up. I could write for ever on these trucks. Ford is our most recent truck. After having four of them we tried the Ram and came back. The Super Duty is more of a truck. Sits higher rides rougher but Dominates with technology. I give the 3500 series to Ram with the Aisin but I give 2500 series to Ford F-250.The Super Duty is certainly nothing to brag about it as well has many issues. They all have gotten too big they just don't care about the customer anymore. Yea sure they all run the fancy bull commercials and adds but really don't give a s--t about us. At the price these trucks are selling they are both failing. As long as we keep buying them it will never change.
 
  #56  
Old 11-22-2017, 04:23 PM
tjc transport's Avatar
tjc transport
tjc transport is offline
i ain't rite
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Marlboro Mental Hospital
Posts: 48,073
tjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by RXT View Post
Oh you guys….you just crack me up. Why is the 5.9 Cummins the most popular diesel to swap? It's because it's better. It's a much simpler design, it's easy to service, it's anvil tough, it's simple and cheaper to turn up and it enjoys huge after market support. Ford went thru what? Four different diesels to get it right?
nope, because ford never made a diesel.they bought them from navastar.
Yet the Cummins is still beating them with that same basic 30 yr old design. Who really bothers to do a swap using a 6.9-7.3 IDI or a 7.3 PS, or a 6.0 PS, or a 6.7 PS….. no one! They all choose the Cummins. And get this, even Ford had spec'ed out their medium duty trucks with the 6BT, instead of their own offerings.

nope, because ford never made a diesel. they bought them from navastar. the first ford diesel is the 6.7

Sure Dog, you could argue that a Dodge falls apart around the engine. The Ford would too, if it came with an engine that has a service life expectancy thats over 350K.
my 88 has 495,000 miles on it.
the other 5 trucks i had are all still running too, and they all have over 400,000 miles on them.
there are many diesel trucks in the forums here with over 400,000 miles on them

Of course you may feel thats it worth the effort to install a Cummins into a Ford….it's too bad that Ford didn't themselves feel that way, otherwise they could have had the contract with Cummins, instead of Chrysler….In fact they still can. Cummins isn't exclusive to any manufacturer. They currently provide another diesel to Nissan for use in the Titan HD. But they wanted to go their own way and produce their own engines after they fell out with International.

And tic, yes! A blind, retarded, one handed monkey can make one run. Thats the beauty of it! Not only can he make one run, he can turn it up, and he'd have far more options than if he tried to do the same with a 6.9/7.3 IDI/ 7.3 PS/ 6.0PS/ 6.7 PS. That would make him one smart monkey! OTOH what would you call the poor frustrated soul who had to work on any of the IDI's or Powerstrokes? (usually half stuffed under the firewall in a SD) …A Ford dealer mechanic…Wouldn't you rather be a monkey too?

​​​​​​​Ed
nope, i want an engine that will run 500,000 trouble free miles, not one that belches black smoke like a 1890 steam locomotive,
 
  #57  
Old 11-22-2017, 04:33 PM
Turd-250's Avatar
Turd-250
Turd-250 is offline
Post Fiend
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 5,745
Turd-250 has a spectacular reputation.Turd-250 has a spectacular reputation.Turd-250 has a spectacular reputation.Turd-250 has a spectacular reputation.Turd-250 has a spectacular reputation.Turd-250 has a spectacular reputation.Turd-250 has a spectacular reputation.Turd-250 has a spectacular reputation.Turd-250 has a spectacular reputation.Turd-250 has a spectacular reputation.Turd-250 has a spectacular reputation.
hhmmm what's goingon in here? oh good, smack talk!
 
  #58  
Old 11-27-2017, 08:21 AM
RXT
RXT is offline
New User
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 5
RXT is starting off with a positive reputation.
Wow is this it?? You can't even quote correctly.

I said "Ford went thru what? Four different diesels to get it right?, and your response is this??

Originally Posted by tjc transport View Post
nope, because ford never made a diesel.they bought them from navastar.


Who said anything about where Ford got their diesels from?? The point was, Ford went thru four different diesels whereas Dodge had been running the same basic Cummins engine design. It goes to decisions made by the higher ups. But since you went there, why didn't Ford at least pick the best of what Navistar had to offer? Navistar had a similar inline six with similar displacement and performance to the 6BT, and that was the DT360. Instead Ford piddled around with old underpowered IDIs and an early P(o)S that used a needlessly complex and expensive injection system and still ended up replacing those. It must had been the idea of using a V8 design over an inline 6

I said "And get this, even Ford had spec'ed out their medium duty trucks with the 6BT, instead of their own offerings."

And your response;
nope, because ford never made a diesel. they bought them from navastar. the first ford diesel is the 6.7


Again, who said anything about where Ford got the engines from? International (Navistar) did have a few competing engines for use in mediums. The previously mentioned DT360 and the T444E (AKA 7.3 Powder Stoke) They didn't use either. Instead, they specced out more of the medium duty trucks with the same 6BT you can get in a Dodge. Why was that tic? Lets recap for a moment. Ford bought the International engines for their light trucks but bought the Cummins for their larger trucks. Ford eventually dropped International as their diesel engine supplier. Bottom line, Ford went thru four engines to get it right.

my 88 has 495,000 miles on it.
the other 5 trucks i had are all still running too, and they all have over 400,000 miles on them.
there are many diesel trucks in the forums here with over 400,000 miles on them


So?? Your point?? I don't doubt that any diesel can go 400K, 500k or more these days. (I knew a guy with a 6.5 GM that had 400K on it) Currently, Ford is touting that their 6.7 has a service life expectancy of 500K. However, we all know that the 6BT/ISB have been known to easily break 500K and many have gone over a million miles, way long before Ford decided to make their own diesels. But I'm sure theres probably a 6.7 P(o)S out there with a million documented miles on it somewhere. However, we all know there are million mile Cummins out there, going the distance. Especially when you consider that the 6BT/ISB, is just a smaller version of their ISX engines which are found in many long haul trucks that all rack up over a million in a couple of years. In any case, there are a bunch of worn out Dodges because that engine has taken many of them, that far and the rest of the truck is going to wear out…even a Ford, if they go that far.

nope, i want an engine that will run 500,000 trouble free miles, not one that belches black smoke like a 1890 steam locomotive,
EGR delete yet?? You won't get smoke out of a current 6.7 Cummins. Modern engines have to comply with the feds. An older engine will smoke. It won't matter of it's an old 5.9 6BT or 7.3 Power Smoke…. The difference is when it comes to engine swaps, the Cummins was designed to fit into many trucks (Except maybe those with really short hoods, like a Super Poopy) I even stuck one in my Dakota, and no, I didn't chop the firewall to make it fit. At the other end of the swap spectrum, besides being easy to swap, the Cummins is easier to maintain and service, easier and cheaper to turn up, easier to access, and owners of these fine engines enjoy far more aftermarket support. It kinda makes Ford fans blue with envy, even some of your own prefer it over your own offerings. Maybe it's time to bring up that old myth of how Ford used to own Cummins again?

I rest my case.

​​​​​​​Ed
 
  #59  
Old 11-27-2017, 03:44 PM
Turd-250's Avatar
Turd-250
Turd-250 is offline
Post Fiend
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 5,745
Turd-250 has a spectacular reputation.Turd-250 has a spectacular reputation.Turd-250 has a spectacular reputation.Turd-250 has a spectacular reputation.Turd-250 has a spectacular reputation.Turd-250 has a spectacular reputation.Turd-250 has a spectacular reputation.Turd-250 has a spectacular reputation.Turd-250 has a spectacular reputation.Turd-250 has a spectacular reputation.Turd-250 has a spectacular reputation.
Originally Posted by RXT View Post
…Except maybe those with really short hoods, like a Super Poopy....​​​​​​​
it's Pooperduty dammit!
lol
 
  #60  
Old 12-25-2017, 12:07 AM
Xsuperdutyfan
Xsuperdutyfan is offline
Senior User
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 157
Xsuperdutyfan is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
We need longevity these trucks are just built like junk with a few exceptions. Our son has our 2011 King ranch 350 and wow falling apart everywhere. Had to replace moon roof, passenger window motor broken driver side has to be pulled up on to close ( thought that was only in 1970's lmao) several engine issues always has check engine light even after having checked out, some kind of squealing noise in dash, interior leather just junk (of course its a king ranch) even when you close the doors reminds me of a truck 20 yrs old. These trucks get higher and higher priced yet quality doesn't follow. I won't even talk about our 08 f150 at least its still running. I think they figured it out build a truck like crap so every 3 to 5 years people will get new ones pretty smart huh. This is not just pointed at Ford its all of them. Actually I don't even want to say this but if I had to give longevity to someone I think it would be GMC cough cough. Any way Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all that celebrate.
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: YOUR OPINION: Is Ford Falling Behind in the HD Truck Market?


Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.