2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 F150 5.4L V8 Triton - get new engine, or dump it?

Old 03-04-2014, 01:51 PM
arbryant1
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 F150 5.4L V8 Triton - get new engine, or dump it?

So my check engine light came on recently, and my engine started idling roughly. It rides smoothly when I'm driving, but when I stop at a red light or stop sign it will shake and it feels as if something is misfiring.

AutoZone's diagnostic test revealed a code of P0012. Here's the explanation:

camshaft timing over retarded - bank 1
Cam timing incorrect
VCT solenoid stuck open

Took it to O'Reilly's to get a second diagnosis and they revealed several timing issues. A bunch of P0300 codes.

I took it to one mechanic who said I need a new engine. He quoted me $8000+ for a Jasper engine (parts plus labor).

I took my truck to another shop, and they just called to tell me they're going to run some Marvel's Mystery Oil through it for a couple of hours and then re-test it, but if that doesn't help matters then I'm looking at a new motor. Something about the cam phasers being bad. He said it'd be between $6000 and $8000 for the new engine.

Every mechanic I've talked to, and the research I've done online, indicates that there have been several issues with the Triton and that it's a bad design.

So I guess I'm looking to see if anybody has had any experience with replacing this particular engine, and if so, was it worth it?

A buddy of mine talked to his mechanic and he said labor would be between $900 and $1000 for labor. Used motor for around $1500 and a new motor for around $2500. I guess I'm looking at between $3500 and $4000.

If that's legit, and it comes with a 3 year warranty, then it might not be too bad. I haven't talked to the guy yet; I'm waiting for a final diagnosis. Is it true that you have to be licensed to install Jasper engines for the warranty to be honored?

I've got 94,000 miles on the truck. Any thoughts on if it's worth putting a new engine into this model truck, especially if the engine has so many known issues? Can I expect the transmission to go out next?

I don't like the idea of spending $35K to $40K on a new truck, but I don't want to pour good money into a bad situation, and my fear is if there are so many issues with the Triton engine then is it worth the risk to put another one in a 10 year truck and hope it doesn't happen again.

Anybody found themselves in this situation with this particular model?

Old 03-04-2014, 01:57 PM
twfish
Senior User
Cam phasers can be replaced for roughly a grand id definitely do that

Old 03-04-2014, 02:39 PM
twfish
Senior User
I had one with 230k never had any troubles with the tranny, only the coil pack wich arenr bad, spark plugs wich at 90k they have probably been replaced. A throttle body may or may not be something. My first one never had trouble but the truck I have now ive had to replace a censor. The camphaser should be the most expensive of them all

Old 03-04-2014, 06:57 PM
cb_13
Fleet Mechanic
Received 64 Likes on 53 Posts
It's definitely worth paying someone who knows what they are doing to properly diagnose it. Most likely you need the front cover pulled to check for broken timing chain guides, blown tensioner seals and also the phasers looked at.

Old 03-04-2014, 07:41 PM
CaptFX4
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
IMO, If your truck is paid off (I assume so) and is in relatively good shape, I think spending $3-4k for an engine is the better option. If it gets you another 90K miles that's far cheaper then buying a new truck for $40K to get the same 90K miles. Even if you replace the tranny you'd be farther ahead in the money game.

Old 03-04-2014, 07:45 PM
danorules
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
X2

Replace the motor, but stay away from the $8k bid. Way too high. The 3-4 is more reasonable

Old 03-04-2014, 09:05 PM
twfish
Senior User
Theres a good possibility youd have to replace it in the ither engine as well. Spend the grand and get it fixed right and definitely get a quote from someone thats not trying to take ya

Old 03-05-2014, 10:39 AM
arbryant1
New User
Originally Posted by twfish
Theres a good possibility youd have to replace it in the ither engine as well. Spend the grand and get it fixed right and definitely get a quote from someone thats not trying to take ya
The mechanic told me the problem with fixing the cam phasers and other external issues is that it can cost anywhere from $1500 to $2500 and then you might end up needing a new engine anyway. He said that was the case with a customer recently with this engine.

Old 03-05-2014, 12:39 PM
twfish
Senior User
Originally Posted by arbryant1

The mechanic told me the problem with fixing the cam phasers and other external issues is that it can cost anywhere from $1500 to $2500 and then you might end up needing a new engine anyway. He said that was the case with a customer recently with this engine.
What state are you in? Sounds like the mechanice doesnt want to do it. But having it fixed is the better option in my eyes

Old 03-05-2014, 01:47 PM
arbryant1
New User
I'm in TN. I just heard back from the second mechanic, and he echoed what the first one said. He recommends a new engine. I asked what caused them to go that route instead of fixing the problem, and he said the chain systems, cam phasers, and solenoids all needed to be replaced.

His explanation was that you're looking at $2500 to $3000 in repairs and it may not completely fix the problem. He said they've done that with two customers within the last year and they still had problems and within a year needed a new engine.

They quoted me $7000 for a Jasper engine - parts and labor.

I called another mechanic who said he can install a re-manufactured Ford engine for a lot cheaper than a Jasper and that it has the same warranty - 3 years or 100,000 mi. I'm going to send him my truck's info and he's gonna try to get me a quote today.

The truck still looks brand new, and the mechanic I talked to today said everything looks good except the engine.

Old 03-05-2014, 02:54 PM
twfish
Senior User
Do a quick research on here of cam phasers. Theres shops here that will do it for a grand but thats up here in indiana. End of the day its your decision but I just feel like your getting taken on that deal

Old 03-07-2014, 09:19 PM
cb_13
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by twfish
What state are you in? Sounds like the mechanice doesnt want to do it. But having it fixed is the better option in my eyes
Exactly! It could have been starved for oil for too long and scored the camshaft and head. Then it would be cost effective to buy a reman engine but if they have not tore it down yet then there is no way they know that. Have it tore down and find out where you need to go from there. The dealers in my area charge less than what these guys are quoting you but it could just be a regional thing.

Old 03-08-2014, 08:16 AM
twfish
Senior User
Originally Posted by cb_13
Exactly! It could have been starved for oil for too long and scored the camshaft and head. Then it would be cost effective to buy a reman engine but if they have not tore it down yet then there is no way they know that. Have it tore down and find out where you need to go from there. The dealers in my area charge less than what these guys are quoting you but it could just be a regional thing.
If it just started then I dont think there would be any loss of oil do yoy?

Old 03-08-2014, 08:41 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
Wow. Just wow.

Cam phasers are common issues in these engines. There is NOTHING WRONG with 99% of your engine. You just need new phasers, which are the parts that attach to the cam sprockets.

DO NOT throw out a good engine and spend 7-8 times what you should for this. Your engine is fine. It just needs some parts replaced.

Old 03-08-2014, 09:07 AM
cb_13
Fleet Mechanic
I wouldn't think there would be much more damage but I have seen it happen before so it is a possibility. I would never replace just the phasers personally. I have seen too many blown tensioner seals to do that. Which is what I suspect is the root cause of this problem but I'm just a guy on the internet. I have not looked at this truck so please take my opinion accordingly.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2004 F150 5.4L V8 Triton - get new engine, or dump it?